Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What's your favorite mythological creature/spirit

iridescentblack

Bluelighter
Rules of the thread are simple.

1. State your favorite "mythological" creature (quotes because some people believe some of these things are real: try to respect their beliefs)

2. List any facts you know about these creatures, including things that others might not know

3. Explain, if you want, why you chose this creature

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Absolutely NO question...dragons are it for me. Yes, Drogon was amazing, but Vhagar is my personal favourite. She was fucking terrifying. 🔥

OPpS0gT.jpg

1. State your favorite "mythological" creature (quotes because some people believe some of these things are real: try to respect their beliefs)
A familiar of any sort (my favorite is of feline decent).
2. List any facts you know about these creatures, including things that others might not know
Their hearing is superior to that of human and dogs in many ways. Lets not forget their sight and smell, shall we? ;)
3. Explain, if you want, why you chose this creature
The above answer plus they supposedly have nine lives but mostly because I feel a special/deep bond with felines and they me. Believe it or not, bobo actually plays "catch" with me with one of his purple "mice" and when he brings it back he is soooo proud and makes this loud "eehhhh" "eehhhhh" sound to let me know he is a good boy and brought it back. :love:
So cute and on day will have to make a video for the non-believers.

Edit:
It is the familiar spirit of the place;
It judges, presides, inspires Everything in its empire; It is perhaps a fairy or a god? When my eyes, drawn like a magnet
To this cat that I love... - Charles Baudelaire

Last edited:
My favorite are gnomes.

Fun fact is they apparently are very stinky. So stinky you can smell them from quite a distance.
They are also vegetarians.

I like gnomes because they are benevolent creatures, and good to animals.

Satyrs / fauns. They combine a goat lower half with a human top half which looks pretty neat as hybrids go, and enjoy lots of drunken feasting and rampant sex.

Heyoka

Heyoka is a God from some Native American tribes, known as the sacred clown or trickster God. He/she is similar to many other trickster Gods which seems to be universally present in all ethnic cultures.

Heyoka presented himself to me during a DMT trip, the first entity of many that I had met. I will never forget his laugh.

Hecate - after all, Caligula killed Germanicus by stealing/hiding his Hecate symbol that was kept under his pillows.
Shakespeare also alluded to Hecate in Macbeth, WIlliam Blake it his poetry ant prose and in much 16th century writing.
It's not the pictures or even statues which are popular because they match the perceived style. It's because gor a supernatural creature on the very edge of Greek culture, she has been kept relevant by great writers reading off her and then observing that earlier writers, poets and playright all REALLY did reflect her. .

Kelpie, an evil shapeshifting horse that lives in the water

Also other water-related characters like mermaids and sirens etc

Last edited:
Any trinity of female goddesses. My daughter and my mom consider ourselves “the maiden, the mother and the crone.”

We all love to read fantasy books, usually based on various mythologies, so it’s fitting! My daughter loves the Percy Jackson series, I’m currently re-reading (for the umpteenth time) The Dresden Files, and my mom just showed me a new book she’s reading that’s dealing with the same sort of subject matter…we’re three of a kind ☺️

Circe
Circe was renowned for her vast knowledge of potions and herbs. Through the use of these and a magic wand or scepter, she would transform her enemies, or those who offended her, into animals.

The best known of her legends is told in Homer's Odyssey when Odysseus visits her island of Aeaea on the way back from the Trojan War and she changes most of his crew into swine.

CY17JNn.png

Any trinity of female goddesses. My daughter and my mom consider ourselves “the maiden, the mother and the crone.”

We all love to read fantasy books, usually based on various mythologies, so it’s fitting! My daughter loves the Percy Jackson series, I’m currently re-reading (for the umpteenth time) The Dresden Files, and my mom just showed me a new book she’s reading that’s dealing with the same sort of subject matter…we’re three of a kind ☺️

Kind of a tangent but Marija Gimbutas (mentioned in that wiki link) is an influential archeologist whose theories about the early settlement of Europe I've always found interesting