• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What's wrong with my adderall??

mrsalicia

Greenlighter
I take generic adderall xr 20mgs a few times a week when I need it, not everyday. I have been on Adderall since March 2017. This was only 6 months ago, and I feel like I have a tolerance already built up. Adderall is a wonderful drug and helps my life tremendously. I can not function when I don't take it. (im lazy and generally depressed without it). Im a double majoring college student and I also have a shit ton of homework to do. but here recently, like the last two months, its been making me EXTREMELY irritable, moody, and dosent last nearly as long. I can feel it working after 30 min instead of 2 hours like I use to. I crash after only two hours instead of it lasting me all day. I have tried to fix it by taking a zantac (stomach acid reducer) and a B12 vitamin then waiting 30 min before I take it. but this dosent seem to help much. I have tried snorting once, (5mg) but I heard thats really bad for your tolerance. I tried taking a break from it but I could only go about a week. What can I do?? I just want it to work again. Im scared to tell any of this to my doctor because im afraid they wont prescribe it to me anymore. (I also cant afford to visit my doctor or get any new prescriptions at the moment). Should I bump my dosage up to 2 a day?(XR 20 mgs) Im a 113lb, 19 year old girl. I just want to be able to get things done again, and have the euphoria back. The main problem im experiencing in the intense anger/anxiety/irritability. Has anyone else experienced this? what should I try to do?

Whats your sleep quality and diet like? Amphetamine makes it easy to have bad sleep/food habits and not really notice. No sleep+bad diet = no energy and bad mood. Try to eat good stuff more frequently, keep your blood sugar level consistent etc. Do you take a multivitamin? Magnesium? The inconsistency of days on/off amph can be a hell of a thing for your body to adjust to as well. Doing cardio regularly can really help. Seems to have a positive impact on tolerance, among other things.

From a quick look at wikipedia I'm not sure zantac is what you want for preloading... It decreases the production of stomach acid instead of neutralizing the acid already in the stomach. Try baking soda, or take your amph with a high protein/low fat/low carb food (like 0% greek yogurt or a protein powder shake). Food has the added benefit of being, well, food that you need to not burn out (irritable, not feeling positive effects etc).

I just want to be able to get things done again, and have the euphoria back.

Unfortunately you probably have to pick one or the other... The euphoria will never be a consistent effect unless you keep increasing your dose. Amph is about giving you focus, it wont be a consistent source of all the motivation you need to do your work unless you keep dosing higher. If you want to have a productive life and keep school locked down I'd say avoid dose increases at all costs. Increasing side effects, sleep/diet/mood dis-regulation, and difficulty with days off amph etc all trash school performance.

And maybe look into melatonin for night time. Good luck!

The shortening of the effects' duration is all too common for those even taking a consistent, doctor-recommended dose. I ceased taking Adderall for about 5 years and when I returned to a single 15 mg dose, I experienced only about 1.5 - 2 hours of therapeutic effects/euphoria, followed by frustration and irritability.

Eventually, it will induce a mechanical and bad mood, but the focus increase remains. Sometimes the "benefits" that users perceive with Adderall use are actually the side effects that are well-documented in medical literature and known to fade rapidly.

For me, the effects of this med streamlined into that of a scatter-brain aphrodisiac.

Dude, I hate to say this, but everybody functions better on Amphetamines. It's pretty much the hallmark of the class of drugs. When people take Amphetamines, they feel motivated, energetic and like their mind is operating at optimum capacity. I'm not trying to be a dick, but you are not unique in any way. This is how everybody feels when they take Adderall.

What you're dealing with here is tolerance. Sure, people take Amphetamines by prescription for long periods of time, but that does not mean that they don't become tolerant to the effects.

I went through 4 years of college (UMass) as well and am currently working on my Masters (UVM). I'm an education/history major, so I write a lot of papers. If you think I don't desire Adderall every time I sit down to type, you are mistaken. It makes writing papers a breeze. It makes schoolwork interesting. It increases your sociability and thus, your ability to participate in class. It unlocks your brain's potential like nothing else.

For all of these reasons, Amphetamines are extremely addictive. When I was in school, I used Amphetamines/Methylphenidate frequently when writing papers and completing schoolwork. You really need to be careful as the speed is psychologically addictive to the extreme. Once you write a few papers on Amphetamines, it becomes much more difficult to write them when you don't have them. It took me a while to get back to a point where I didn't have writer's block.

Honestly, you need to be careful using these, not because they're immediately harmful to your health, but because the psychological impact of Amphetamine use can be pretty strong, becoming habituated in any way to the effects can be harmful to all aspects of your life. I would advise using them sparingly and only when you really think you need the boost. If you start using them all the time, you're just going to find it difficult to do anything without them including socializing.

Whats your sleep quality and diet like? Amphetamine makes it easy to have bad sleep/food habits and not really notice. No sleep+bad diet = no energy and bad mood. Try to eat good stuff more frequently, keep your blood sugar level consistent etc. Do you take a multivitamin? Magnesium? The inconsistency of days on/off amph can be a hell of a thing for your body to adjust to as well. Doing cardio regularly can really help. Seems to have a positive impact on tolerance, among other things.

From a quick look at wikipedia I'm not sure zantac is what you want for preloading... It decreases the production of stomach acid instead of neutralizing the acid already in the stomach. Try baking soda, or take your amph with a high protein/low fat/low carb food (like 0% greek yogurt or a protein powder shake). Food has the added benefit of being, well, food that you need to not burn out (irritable, not feeling positive effects etc).

Unfortunately you probably have to pick one or the other... The euphoria will never be a consistent effect unless you keep increasing your dose. Amph is about giving you focus, it wont be a consistent source of all the motivation you need to do your work unless you keep dosing higher. If you want to have a productive life and keep school locked down I'd say avoid dose increases at all costs. Increasing side effects, sleep/diet/mood dis-regulation, and difficulty with days off amph etc all trash school performance.

And maybe look into melatonin for night time. Good luck!

The is a pill to take to get your dopephine levels back up Google it cause u lose them fast

I'm an education/history major,.
I've really been digging history this last year or so (way more than I ever did before) for some reason....I think maybe because it's cool just how everything fits together like a puzzle and connects to past events, present/current events and even gives a glimpse into the future.....so cool! Quite interesting surprisingly.

That's way cool you majored in it- we may have to converse sometime if you're up for it Keif! Most people find it too boring or don't know anything on the subject. Bet I could learn a lot from you, and maybe you'd find the conversation stimulating at least (since I doubt you could gain any additional knowledge on the subject from me haha).

OP, sounds like the issue here likely pertains to tolerance or even addiction setting in. Your tale is not at all unfamiliar. It's not the amphetamine, it's you.

Would you please explain why you are prescribed this substance, if you don't mind?

Defending on some circumstances, since you asked what to do- and I know you won't like the answer- but I would most likely recommend that you try getting off the amphetamine, with your doctor's assistance. You may be in a world of hurt later down the road if you do nothing. But I'd like more details on your situation before I can say anything more definitively.

-PA

As 'Keif explained; Amphets certainly provide a laser-focus when used as prescribed. I started on Adderall when I was about 12. Remained on it until freshman year of college when I decided it was no longer needed, and what do ya know? My grades sharply plummeted. After two semesters I was re-prescribed and voila; magna cum laude.
It's funny how popular it has now become, especially amongst Millennials and stay-at-home moms.
I'd recommend giving it a nice break between semesters (be prepare for the w/d's) and after X-mas break you'll feel zooted again.
If not, you can always step it up to Meth.

Over the years I've switched back and forth between adderal and VyVanse and it seems to keep me from developing a permanent high tolerance to either. I still take a high dose but I'm not going above thearuputic levels.

Xr is extremely ineffective relative to the instant release version. you'll want to watch what you eat (ph level of the GI trac is of vital importance)