• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Whats wrong with me? 9 month opiate addiction, no withadrawl?

AbusedTampon

Bluelighter
Anyways, I can't disclose my age but it might explain this weirdness;
Anwyays, I had serperate surgeries on my meniscus and also had my appendix removed, due to some minor nerve damage I was in a lot of pain.

I was first given Morphine IV at the hospital which I reacted negatively to so I was put on a fentanyl patch for a few days and then Dilaudid IV for a few weeks until the pain subsided. I was also given gabapentin. Anyways I got out of the hospital with a month long oxycodone (Percocet 10mg/325) prescription of which I built a tolerance up to 30mg. Went through about 60 of these.

During this time I also some what self medicated with heroin, low dose snorted about 40mg at most. Want through about 1.5g.

I was then afterwards prescribed hydrocodone (10mg/325) for another month, went through 60 of these with a tolerance at about 40mg.

I was also taking the last of my gabapentin during these 2 months.

Now here's the weird part, and it gets even stranger further; I was than prescribed tramadol, 100mg twice a day...and it worked like pure magic to me, intensity of 150mg was stronger than oxycodone to me. The minor SNRI effects also improved my mood tremendously.

Now, I was prescribed tramadol for the next 7 months and I NEVER NEEDED ANY MORE TO REACH THE SAME EFFECTS!! 150mg consistently gave me euphoria and pain relief for the next 7 months, I never could take more than 150mg as I started experiencing side effects similar to typical opiate OD.

Now during all my opiate use I was able to make completely sober decisions and I was able to maintain a completely normal life with going to school, exercising, and physically therapy for my leg. My opiate use never interefered with my life negatively even though I was dopped up 24/7.

Opiates gave a type of clarity I can only associate with supression of my ego. It made life immensely easier, made doing school work easier, made me more socially relaxed as I am usually very self conscious when sober. Opiates changed my life for the better and the only side effect I got was the occasional nausea if I didn't eat or constipation which only really affected me towards the beginning of my opiate journey.

I know responsible opiate use is a nearly impossible thing to maintain...but it honestly was to good to be true...but it was true. I didn't harm myself or others around me. In fact I got compliments on how I "changed" for the better, when really it was all the opiates to thank. I also frequently had my liver enzymes checked, always stayed in normal range, never even slightly elevated.

Also all this opiate use put my crippling cognitive dissonance to rest. I know everything good comes to an end but this didn't....

Now the craziest part...after 9 months of all types of opiate use and the minor SNRI dependancy, I quite due to my pain being gone side by side with my prescriptions...I was told I would withadrawl hard and could get some medications to help cope...but the following week after quitting cold turkey all I got was some minor diarrhea, head fog and a bit of restlessness...

HOWEVER, I honestly would have taken this over a fever or general cold. All these 9 months I used EVERY God given day, with the exclusion of tramadol I built tolerance and built dosage upwards accordingly.

Would it be possible that I have some kind of genetic opiate immunity? And also, recently I've been dabbling in phenibut and went through about 100 grams in about 9 days, taking 1.25g-1.75g higher dose each day added of course to my previous dose the day before. I was at 8.5g at most and I stopped cold turkey, read that the withadrawl were on par with heroin withadrawl...but guess what...all I got was some minor head fog, restlessness and minor insomnia.

Now as much as I hate even saying this because of how ridiculous it sounds, but could I have some kind of neurological problem? I mean it's more of a blessing than a problem honestly, but I want to know if anyone else has ever heard of anything similar.

My apologies if this post was unnecessarily long but I wanted it to be detailed as possible.

Also I'm putting this in BDD as I'm not sure where else to put it so any mods feel free to more this to a more correct section.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth my friend. Phenibut and other Gabapentinoids do certainly help with some of the peskier symptoms of Opioid withdrawal. I'm sure that the Phenibut played a role in your level of relative comfort. Some people do experience more severe withdrawal than others, it's just how it is.

I would say you should feel lucky. People have different tolerances for types of pain. Maybe your WD aren't as bad as you think they should be plus you have a higher tolerance for the shit feel. Woman, which I'm assuming your tampon name confirms, typically have higher tolerances for pain. After seeing my daughter born and the extreme ripping that had to have many stitches to put everything back together, and then she went without narcotics and just ice and OTC NSAIDS. I think woman could probably have a limb ripped from a socket and then have a margarita and be straight.

Ok, may be a slight exaggeration. Are you taking anything else while you come off all of what you think should cause withdrawals? Some other drugs can make a profound effect even if they aren't what's typically prescribed for coming off.

I would say consider yourself lucky and be happy!

Haha I'm a guy. I wasn't taking anything else other than viatamins, magnesium and valerian for sleep. Really wasn't thinking thoroughly when I made my name, planning to change it.

I wasn't taking phenibut during those opiate WD. But I definitly agree that shouldn't over analyze a good thing.

I honestly would not expect w/d from 150mg tramadol to be very severe. sounds relatively normal to me.

Hey it's cool if you're a guy. You're probably just a bit more freaky than I am

Those aren't super high dosages. You seem to be a strong metabolizer of tramadol to its more active metabolite, o-desmethyltramadol. I never fully got physical withdrawals until after a few years of playing with them. I usually only got irritable, constant boners at night and some sweats when I first started shooting. It took quite awhile to work up to getting full blown withdrawals.

Just know you aren't immune and everytime you use you are downregulating and conditioning your receptors more and more so you will get to that point eventually.

Phenibut is a weird one. I went through 20 grams in a week when I first started using it and I got horrific withdrawals. I didn't sleep for a week and had complete psychosis and 24/7 anxiety accompanied by feeling like my nerves were all on fire. Years later I would go through 200 grams in a month and there was next to no withdrawal. So, it's extremely unpredictable. Definitely consider yourself lucky for now but just know that it can and will happen, don't think you are invulnerable, you have done some damage and it is cumulative.

op: If I were in your shoes I would be appreciative of coming away without too bad an experience. There is something called the kindling effect. It basically states that every time you have a withdrawal episode it will be more severe than the last one. If you didn't have a bad withdrawal this time it doesn't mean there is not one down the road if you keep dabbling.

Good luck my friend.

OP after about my fifth withdrawal in 8 years yeah, I look back at my first from about a year long oxy habit and WISH they were all that easy...if I were you I would tread very lightly thinking you can do opiates for a long time and not have it bite you in the ass. Keep in mind that what you described is a pretty small habit too. From what it sounds like you really really like how they make you feel and operate as a person...be careful, if you end up with a big, unmanageable habit nobody is immune to withdrawals...

Listen to these people, OP. You're young (so your body heals/returns to homeostasis faster), your doses were relatively low, etc etc.

I hate to quote the bible, but "the pride cometh...before a fall" meaning that overconfidence usually leads to disaster.

Very many people here have been down that road, and it leads absolutely nowhere good. Stop now while you can. Opioids will make you into a slave. They will eat your soul.

Get out now and consider yourself lucky and think of it as a pleasant experience in your life which is now behind you, while looking forward to better, more wholesome living habits.

Last edited:
I was on around the clock opiates at stronger doses than you mentioned, and it still took almost a year and a half to have my first WD symptoms.
It's different for each of us, but we never know how long it'll be until it's too late.

I tapered in a week and a half off of years of meth/coke/opioids/benzos/barbituates/bath salt with Suboxone. That was a cake walk compared to wds now. They get worse each time.

Thank you guys so much for the replies. Now piecing it together makes it is so much more clear. It was all a coincidence and not some "genetic opiate immunity" haha. I'm definitely going to, for lack of better words, quite while ahead.

I'm going to use this as a learning experience and nothing more. I'm not going to let opiates deliver me into chaos when I expect it to be like the first time when it obviously won't be like.

Again thank you guys for clearing this up, I'm now afraid, reasonably off course, of opiates and I'm going to keep it that way.

And one more thing, I see now that I may have blown this out of proportion, however, I was under the impression that even when using small dosages, the lenght of opiate use would dictate how strong the withadrawls are and not the dosage dictating, I see I was mistaken.

You're not wrong-it's both the dose and the length of time at said dose.
As everyone else has stated, this is your "get out of jail free" card, it only gets harder from this point forward,so take it and run!!

When I first started using opiates--heroin snorted at the time (this predates the big oxy craze)--I used daily for almost a year without experiencing any withdrawal. I was like 19-20 and thought other people were making a big deal out of nothing/whining/etc. This was also before the Internet really took off (circa 1993), so I didn't have the resources to know all about withdrawal and length of use and all that. Word of mouth and own experiences shaped my opinion

But anyway, one day after using for close to a year I woke up one morning with a runny nose, sneezing, and some chills. Didn't think much of it, but noticed doing a bag took it away

After that I made the correlation that using made me feel better and not using when I woke up I felt worse

So it took me almost a year to even feel any wd upon stopping (and there were days in that time where I couldn't get something and I felt normal). Those wd were at most uncomfortable

I started with a needle not long after and those wd were worse, but still not horrible

Ever since, every time I use/relapse long enough to get a habit the withdrawal becomes worse. I heard of it as being "progressive" one time while in rehab and they were right about that. And now, if I would use for more than 2 days straight I would get wd worse than what I first experienced.

So--indeed the withdrawal worsens over time and how much you take in a factor. ROA is also a factor.

Sounds like you are aware you got lucky. :) I would be grateful, be happy you're not in pain, and call it a day

Consider yourself fortunate that you stopped before you got to your threshold where your brain's chemistry changes to need the drug and then you would be sick from not having it. Individuals are all different in how long it takes. And yes, dosage played a factor