• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

what's up with Mirtazapine?

I'm getting mad akathisia off this stuff .. I feel mildly manic. Gonna drop the dose back to 7.5mg tonight.

^
Its a funny quirk of ssri's but not everyone seems to have this discontiuation syndrome.
Generally the 1st gen ssri's (like paroxetine, fluxetine) were worse for causing these probs. Mirtazapine ime does seem to have some use in easing the discontinuation symptoms as well.
As bigsherm7272 said, mirtazapine is an NaSSa chemically closer to the tri-cyclics like amitriptyline.

Just spoke to an 83-year-old woman after work. Back in the 1960s and 70s she used to take Nembutal. She is a classic dyed-in-the-wool chronic insomniac and has been through everything from alcohol, barbiturates and benzos to z-drugs. She told me that mirtazapine was better than the Nembutal for sleep, and that the Nembutal according to her memory was the best out of all the other sleep aids she's tried and she's done dozens of different ones ;)

She takes 30mg when she thinks she'll have trouble sleeping which is a couple of times a week at least, and tells me she is guaranteed to get 8 or 9 hours of solid sleep, and be able to sleep within seconds of her head resting on the pillow 40 minutes after taking it on an empty stomach, she doesn't eat much for dinner, only very light meals. She's good with her timing, and gets it down to the very minute and says it's 35-45 minutes at the most and she can sleep at the drop of a hat. Never missed a second of sleep with the mirtazapine, and she has good memories of her experience with Nembutal which she says was OK but tells me it was nothing compared to mirtazapine. She's also tried cannabis by vaporising it and says that the mirtazapine puts her to sleep a lot quicker and seems to remove anxiety at the onset of the effects whereas the cannabis didn't do that.

So, it is a decent drug for insomniacs, like myself, but I find myself often getting irritable, talking to myself, and ranting to myself (thinking out loud) which pisses me and other people off no doubt. If there is something I can get rid of this irritability it would be truly a Godsend.

I had the irritability at first and its partly because of the heavy sedation thats still apparent the next morn. For me it eent away after a week or so.

Hey doctor, (or dog?..:)), maybe, (and i emphasize the word maybe), you should give amitryptilline a second change..as you said, you took 20mg and it didn't work, but this is a pretty low dose i think. IDK, but doses like 40,50 or even 75mg are commonly used..i say this cause when i used this at these doses, i felt to sleep immediatelly. Of course i don't say that it will work-have the same effect to you, cause as we all know, different drugs work different for different people..(or smth like this,WTF, i'm fuckin confused:?, a lot of "different"..;)). So, what i mean is by no way i advice you to use it, i just write my own experience with this shit. Well, this, i think you got me dude%), i wish you good luck and find the right solution to your problem...:)%):).

MartinFn

90 mg is my usual dose, and the drug is definitely worth a shot; it's actually an effective sedative.

...."At higher doses" all antipsychotics produce psychotic effects. But were talking about doses 10X, 20X and 100X above the therapeutic range...

not that sure about all - when I was on 900mg a day of serequel I was simply a slurring, dribbling sloth that couldn't even climb trees!!!

geez, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I find it hard to understand that the sedating properties would dimish as you get higher than that - not that I don't believe you but is there research you can point me to about this please

cheers

My mum is prescribed 90 mg twice a day. She has severe anxiety, and it's what her DR gives her in lieu of benzos. And yeah, it's worth giving them a chance, they work well. If you're not used to them, they can give you really grotty hangovers, but these disappear completely with regular use.

15 of mirtazapine works well for me but only with 0.6 of clonadine. Its a large dose of clonadine but small doses like 0.1 or 0.3 stopped working after a few monthd