• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids What's the withdrawal/cold turkey period for codeine

Inc3pti0n

Bluelighter
Hey guys, good afternoon from the UK.

So I'm prescribed 8x30mg codeine per day but I'm taking double that per day at least so having to use other means once I've ran out until my next script is due.

I'm considering cold turkeying. What I'd like to know is if I did this from today, how long would the withdrawal period last until I don't feel a need for them and get back to normal.

Thanks in advance

Acute withdrawal will last about 4-5 days (the worst symptoms). You will begin to start feeling better after that point, however the time it takes for you to feel totally back to normal is different for everyone. Depends on many factors, but mainly how long you've been taking it, dose, your general health/fitness level, etc.

It could be anywhere from 1 week to a month, after the acute phase.

In extreme cases, such as people who have been addicted to heroin for decades, it can months or even years. This is called PAWS.

But in your case, since your use is relatively not that bad, you'll probably feel totally back to normal in 10-15 days. After the 7th day after cold turkey, it won't be too rough, you might just feel on edge and a bit depressed, maybe some rough sleep and pain rebound.

Instead of going cold turkey could you just decrease your dose to what the dr prescribed you. Might be better than going cold turkey and your tolerance will probably go down a bit.

The acute withdrawal period is going to be 72-96 hours. This will be the time when you are least-functional. Many people are essentially bed-ridden for this period of time. Your dosage of Codeine is nothing crazy. It is enough to cause a significant withdrawal. Either way, it should be manageable. Withdrawal is extremely subjective. There are people I know who have withdrawn from 100mg Methadone like it's a bad cold and I've talked to people for whom Kratom withdrawal makes them contemplate suicide. Generally, there is a middle ground in all of this that allows us to know that you're usage is in the more moderate category. Willpower and discipline should be enough to carry you through the acute part.

You will likely experience a more mild, yet still significant withdrawal for ~10 days following your last usage. This typically is experienced as increased anxiety, partial insomnia, perspiration and temperature-intolerance. The cravings become fierce after the acute withdrawal ends. When you're sick, the urge to use Opioids is like a person in the desert needing water. It's visceral and in your face. As your body goes back to normal, these cravings become a little more esoteric, like sex, maybe is for most people. Your imagination kicks in. Your ability to plan, scheme, not to mention use your body effectively open people up for relapse in this phase. You have to have discipline.

After a month of continued abstinence, you should start to get some serious relief for the cravings. The hope is at this point that you are also beginning to find things to enrich your life maybe that you forgotten when you were getting high. For me, it was the love and respect of my people and family that really gave me that natural injection of good vibes. Once I knew there was hope at normalcy, it became easier for me to get through those moments of intense cravings.

I hope this helps clear things up a little bit.

Hey guys, good afternoon from the UK.

So I'm prescribed 8x30mg codeine per day but I'm taking double that per day at least so having to use other means once I've ran out until my next script is due.

I'm considering cold turkeying. What I'd like to know is if I did this from today, how long would the withdrawal period last until I don't feel a need for them and get back to normal.

Thanks in advance

Around a week for the intense withdrawal period (most people start feeling slightly better around day 5 or 6 and then improve each day after), but the PAWS - the long-term withdrawal you get afterwards, which mostly consists of depression, anxiety and boredom can last 6 months.

How long do you have to go before your next prescription? I think you will struggle to cold turkey (you can certainly do it, just be prepared).