• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What's the most exotic food you've eaten?

Balut or balot because I'm also from the Philippines, this food is quite delicious for an exotic food.

Weird different things from the ocean, pigeon, alligator, snake, squirrel, haggis, blood sausage, pig stomach sausage, Tagine, various organs from various things. Sea turtle and shark fin I won't ever be eating again as I was fed them at a young age before I knew how endangered they were. I try to avoid eating endangered or mistreated creatures.
Same things germany eats apart from: Sea turtle, shark fin, alligator, and snakes/

some weird sorghum dough thing at an ethiopian restaurant. i guess in retrospect, it wasn't as bad as balut or fermented shark head (icelandic dish)

I've eaten some pretty strange things in my days, a few that come to mind are: sea urchin roe, fermented fish fritters, lamb bacon, and head cheese.

1366835434-papaya2.jpg

i wish this was the first real food i ate after 39 days on Survivor

but it cracked me up on bad grandpa, i will eat it next tho, vry sexual fruit

The most strange/exotic would be a ceviche (raw marinated seafood) that contained octopus. I was kind of pressured into that, as neat as I think octopi are, I found out I only like them in sea documentaries, not meals.

I've eaten alligator, rabbit (both greasy), snapper turtle soup (very flavorful, but tough), sucked the heads out of crawfish. Natto? Accidentally, once, in a tempura udon. There's a sushi place nearby that serves a raw and sometimes still squirming sea urchin. Various roe and caviar once at a party (never again, not even the super high-end osetra).

I've yet to eat a durian and still want to. I'm sure I could find one, but wouldn't know where to eat it, as I understand it smells up the house or restaurant for days.

The most strange/exotic would be a ceviche (raw marinated seafood) that contained octopus. I was kind of pressured into that, as neat as I think octopi are, I found out I only like them in sea documentaries, not meals.

Yeah I've seen that on some food shows. I've had octopus and squid, just never like that, and from what I can remember I liked it. But this was over a decade ago. lol

I tried some durian recently. a cross between cheese, onions and sweet melon with a creamy texture. dee-lish!

^Where did you try it, outside in an open area, or home/restaurant?

I'd need to take it to a park, I think. Maybe not even then from what I've read.

tried it at a friend's parents place---yeah it's funky,,,the durian and their home. apparently you can curtail some of the stank if you freeze it first.

Yeah I've seen that on some food shows. I've had octopus and squid, just never like that, and from what I can remember I liked it. But this was over a decade ago. lol

I love squid in ceviche. It's a little chewy but in ceviche, it's marinated, so it's less chewy. It's also excellent calamari (fried) style dipped in marinara or aioli. I prefer not to eat the heads because they look weird, but I will if I'm hungry. I don't eat food with squid ink as it's too bitter for me.

Just can't get into octopus. I think it's the tentacles. Fried calamari is the most accessible with marinated being a close second.