• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What's the most exotic food you've eaten?

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
For me it was just recently, and was kabuli from a food stand run by Afghans in a holiday market. First time I ever had Afghan cuisine and I was not disappointed! Second to that I would say some moussaka I tried from a Greek restaurant owned by a Greek lady inside a shopping/market sort of place where I live. I usually get the lamb/beef gyros tho.

Last edited:
i became vegetarian at a comparatively young age, so I don't have much of a list. Dofu-ru and natto are probably up there. Conceptually, mycoprotein-based Quorn is a weird idea.

ebola

Balut (duck embryo) bought from a filipino supermarket. It was alright. Tastes a lot like liver but not as dry.

My favorite as well.

I completely forgot about this. In thailand they had this cart full of fried and seasoned bugs. From the cart I tried cockroach, scorpion and mealworms. Scorpion wasn't that great. No flavor aside from a slightly bitter aftertaste. Mealworms were alright, nothing special. Cockroaches (they were the flying kind) were delicious. I'm not even joking. While they were crunchy, they had a taste that reminded me of steak.

I had these large bugs from Thailand called Bot bugs, and chocalate covered ants and bee's from Pennsylvania (New Hope) a neat little town but not exotic.

I live in NYC so there isn't much i haven't eaten.

Armadillo is probably the most exotic food i have had.

We have a lot of people from Trinidad at my office and apparently it’s a delicacy there. A coworker brought some armadillo curry a few years back and the thought of eating it still makes me gag. It was the most horrid tasting meat I have ever had.

Armadillo-300x280.jpg

My favorite as well.

I completely forgot about this. In thailand they had this cart full of fried and seasoned bugs. From the cart I tried cockroach, scorpion and mealworms. Scorpion wasn't that great. No flavor aside from a slightly bitter aftertaste. Mealworms were alright, nothing special. Cockroaches (they were the flying kind) were delicious. I'm not even joking. While they were crunchy, they had a taste that reminded me of steak.

I was in Thailand a few months ago and a bug seller came around - my favorite was the small grasshoppers, went great with a beer (wasn't keen on the others) . Eel is one of my favorite sushi filling but the strangest sushi I had was something called Godzilla sushi - mixture of fillings but then its dipped in batter and deep fried :D.

On the eel subject in some places in Spain you can buy baby eel - Angulas which taste lovely if you have them on Garlic toast or mixed with egg and fried.

One of the best eel dishes wasn't a dish but whole smoked eel from a speciality store at a mall. Pricey but addictive.

Weird different things from the ocean, pigeon, alligator, snake, squirrel, haggis, blood sausage, pig stomach sausage, Tagine, various organs from various things. Sea turtle and shark fin I won't ever be eating again as I was fed them at a young age before I knew how endangered they were. I try to avoid eating endangered or mistreated creatures.

Well I'm from the Philippines so this ^

balut is something i dont think ill ever try.

the curiosity simply isnt there, regardless of how much vinegar and seasoning.

thumbs up to those bold enough, though.

...kytnism...:|

i suppose it would be hákarl, which is rotten, fermented shark that tastes like ammonia. it came in a sealed baby food jar because the smell is so overpowering.

576321_10100737490949144_775141620_n.jpg

Same here, not that I'll probably ever have the chance to anyways. I just see nothing appealing about biting into feathers and beaks although I guess they do range on how matured they are. Most mature ones are pretty much eggs with baby chicks inside. Now I'm going to go puke. lol

i suppose it would be hákarl, which is rotten, fermented shark that tastes like ammonia. it came in a sealed baby food jar because the smell is so overpowering.

I saw that on an episode of Bizarre Foods, sounded really nasty. lol

Harkal would be nice to try for the novelty but it sounds awful. Why would you eat something that tastes like cleaning supplies ?

the curiosity simply isnt there, regardless of how much vinegar and seasoning.

thumbs up to those bold enough, though.

...kytnism...:|
understood! The very first time I had balut is when I was 10 years old. I saw my dad eating it and got curious as to what was inside the egg. I couldn't eat it st first and puked it out but after a few years I grew the courage to stomach it.