• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What's the Mechanism of action for withdrawal? e.g. Tobacco withdrawal

JoshLobbs

Bluelight Crew
I'm curious about the factors that cause a smoker trying to quit to go through withdrawal*; or more specificaly why does the body after extended exposure to tobacco feel like shit?
  • Is it the loss of the serotonergic agonist's?
  • Is it the loss of the dopaminergic agonist's?
  • How does the shock of Blood O2 levels rising effect the smoker?
  • How much does the brain depend on the trace amounts of Harmaline?
  • Is it the stimulant affects of Nicotine?
  • Do we need a daily dose of vitamin arsenic?
  • Does the Routine of false flags make the immune system worry that its not getting them any more?
  • How about the blood sugar levels; does the impact of stopping smocking make the body all fucky?

TL;DR What causes Physical withdrawal for smokers?

*and how would you mitigate the withdrawal?

Nicotine activates nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. Your body will adjust automatically to the nicotine being there activating the receptor resulting in down regulation of receptors to normalize brain function in the presence of nicotine.
Remove the nicotine and the receptors are still down regulated resulting in a withdrawal occurance until your receptors restabilize.
Withdrawal can be controlled with other ligands for the receptor.

I have to say nicotine withdrawal for me included hunger and sleepiness. Not too bad of symptoms. Except a mad desire to put that nicotine back into my blood stream. I kept reaching for cigarette packs did not have out of habit. But other than a crazy desire to smoke the withdrawal made me feel better physically. Honestly in terms of physical withdrawal I felt better. But that mental desire for that nicotine feeling (almost poison like) was maddening.

Good post. I think nicotine withdrawal was really made me think of what was going on in that in ways I felt better right away, which is not the case with most other withdrawals. In medicine you are conisidered well if you are hungry and have an appetite.

Yeah tobacco WD is mostly a consequence of the long term effects of nicotine on nAChR (nicotinic acetylcholine receptors).
Nicotine or tobacco WD might not pleasant but it isn't dangerous either, it won't shock your body in a major way, although the mental/psychological aspects can be really strong as it's a very addictive drug (specially if you started as a teenager).
In fact, your body will be much better off without it as tobacco and nicotine itself are very bad for the cardiovascular system. Plus they actually mess with your blood-sugar levels and raise your odds of getting diabetes. Tobacco and likely nicotine itself also appear to increase the risk of Alzheimer's, though big tobacco has financed and promoted many studies that claim a protective effect...

Nicotinic receptors have been studied extensively so there's a ton of info available for those who are interested in the details. Said receptors are very common in both neuromuscular junctions (they're responsible for muscle contraction) and in the brain, but nicotine has a much higher affinity for the latter (otherwise it'd be pretty unpleasant).

Neuronal nicotinic receptors are found in many key areas of the brain, they modulate many important cognitive processes (learning, concentration, stress, memory formation, fear response, etc...).
Since they're often found in pre-synaptic neurons, their activation actually promotes the release of other well know neurotransmitters like dopamine, serotonin and gaba, but nicotine itself doesn't bind to those receptors (5HTP, gaba, etc.).

When you consume tobacco, specially if you smoke it, the effects of nicotine are amplified by the harmala alkaloids and a bunch of other compounds found in smoke, there's a synergistic effect going on. It has been found that smokers have lower levels of monoamine oxidases in the brain, so they're likely used to having higher levels of dopamine, serotonin and noradrenaline (MAO enzymes are responsible for the degradation of those neurotransmitters).

Last edited:
4meSM's response is the best.

I often wonder though if the 5,000 other chemicals in a cigarette also have some sort of effect, whether synergistic or on their own.

The many times I've tried to save money by quitting smoking, I noticed some things..
Like the fact that cheap hand rolled cigarettes still could not satisfy my urge for a "real" cigarette.
Also withdrawal agents like zyban and patches still didn't stop my desire for a "real" cigarette.

This means that there's possibly two things going on here. That I'm psychologically addicted to the 'act of smoking'.
Or that there is something else present in commercially available cigarettes that make them even more addictive.
Or both.

As for withdrawals, I never really noticed many physical effects, mostly just an intense urge and craving for a cigarette (even if it meant having to go find a butt on the ground), extreme agitation and insomnia.

Last edited: