Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Hydro--The Florida Project was fantastic IMO. I'll be interested to hear if you liked it.
hi herby. i absolutely loved it. best movie i?ve seen in a long time. my reaction is at the top of this page, five posts up from yours. i very glad to you enjoyed it as well.

looking forward to hearing Joe?s reaction. i?ve actually seen Starlet but would need to search this thread to remember my response. p

^That was great.

I just saw Trash Island and loved it. Read a not so enthusiastic review before I went and ended up disagreeing with everything the reviewer wrote. The artwork is so impressive.

Also saw the new Andrew Goldsworthy documentary. I'm such a fan of his that I would enjoy anything about him but I do think the earlier documentary was better. Still, seeing that he is becoming more and more of a delightful nutcase in his older years was fun to watch.

^That was great.

I just saw Trash Island and loved it. Read a not so enthusiastic review before I went and ended up disagreeing with everything the reviewer wrote. The artwork is so impressive.

Also saw the new Andrew Goldsworthy documentary. I'm such a fan of his that I would enjoy anything about him but I do think the earlier documentary was better. Still, seeing that he is becoming more and more of a delightful nutcase in his older years was fun to watch.

^ Such an artiste, in all aspects I can think of!

i rewatched the last jedi. it was much better than first time round.

alasdair

The Shape of Water

reminds me of Amelie. including the look of the cgi. quirky romance is a good genre, but there is nothing standout about this film. could feel the commentary about america.

Isle of Dogs

this movie has no target audience, except maybe anderson fanatics. i was bored. i figure children in the audience were bored. each character gets enough time to do nothing. and then be on the list of great names at the end.

Ingrid Goes West

i?ve lost my two netflix dvds, relegating me to redbox. after the oscar winners, this is their remaining selection.

Last edited:
^ I for one have never understood the appeal of Wes Anderson. His movies always feel like they're mining some inside joke that I just don't "get"

I just watched Sicario again, kind of as background.
I thought Benicio del Toro was great as usual, and that Josh Brolin turned in a great performance.
I think this movie is so well-paced and taut.

Apparently Sicario has sequel coming out. Sicario 2 is also called Soldado. I think I will see it.
https://www.soldado.movie

I liked Sicario as well, I thought it was a solid effort that benefitted from some really good cinematography & direction...I liked how they let you as the viewer kind of piece the story together...and I liked just the overall sense of darkness and dread the film had...it made the situation in Juarez/the border look like some Trump fever dream, lol, full of violence & the macabre.

Emily Blunt's character was kind of weird but I definitely agree re: del Toro, he put in a great understated performance IMO

The Shape of Water

reminds me of Amelie. including the look of the cgi. quirky romance is a good genre, but there is nothing standout about this film. could feel the commentary about america.

Thought the same and was prematurely, jaded at the intro but changed my mind as it progressed. Think the commentary is more about socio-political power systems in, rather than 'America', per se. GDT does live between Cali and just North of the US, so you can garner something from that.

Isle of Dogs

this movie has no target audience, except maybe anderson fanatics. i was bored. i figure children in the audience were bored. each character gets enough time to do nothing. and then be on the list of great names at the end.

Thought it looked bleak and too pretentiously 'arty', for my liking and im pretty open to pretensiously arty
heh. Ironically and unfortunately, seemed to be more obviously commercial in its liberal appearance - pity, I love animation but it lacked any spirit imho.

Last edited:
^ I for one have never understood the appeal of Wes Anderson. His movies always feel like they're mining some inside joke that I just don't "get"

I like some of his movies but fail to 'get' others, also. I think his inability to diversify has made his novelty veer toward the more populist - which is unfortunate. It's a tough call though, to launch for this kind of box-office tbf, assume there is too much rigidity atm to create anything worthy.

The Royal Tenenbaums was one of the movies that really opened my eyes to what film could be. I was obsessed with that movie for months and months. I was 13 or 14 I think.

^ yep. rushmore is in my top 5 movies of all time.

he has a very distinctive style which has evolved but also stayed true. i think he's one of these directors where if you like one you'll like most of them and if you don't like the first one you see, you're unlikely to like any others.

alasdair

I liked Rushmore but Moonrise Kingdom was my favorite W.A. movies if I had to pick. "New Penzance" & "Camp Ivanhoe" worked well to propel the story and the cast was brilliant, esp Bob Balaban as the narrator. "The Grand Budapest" would be my 2nd favorite after this one I think.

moonrise-kingdom-willis.jpg

moonrise-kingdom-balaban-615x335.jpg

Today I was lucky to catch - Good Bye Lenin - filmed in 2003 but portraited while the Berlin’s wall was destroyed. Not only a good film but indeed quite funny, romantic and even interesting for those whose were already young adults when that actually happened. I found it well done too. It shows the authentic German humor. Not bad at all.

A coincidence as past February completed the same period it stood up, almost 29 years...

Today I was lucky to catch - Good Bye Lenin - filmed in 2003 but portraited while the Berlin’s wall was destroyed. Not only a good film but indeed quite funny, romantic and even interesting for those whose were already young adults when that actually happened. I found it well done too. It shows the authentic German humor. Not bad at all.

A coincidence as past February completed the same period it stood up, almost 29 years...
Dude, I entirely forgot about this film. Watched it in a German history class back in college. Simply fantastic :)

Saw a quiet place yesterday , very good horror movie I cried and almost screamed so yeah 2 thumbs up

Status
Not open for further replies.