Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The film should be able to stand on it's own legs...
If it relies on audience members being familiar with the source material, it is a poor adaptation.

i disagree.

literature that is later adapted into film is targeted at a key audience; generally toward those appreciative of the text and story outlining the film. your personal review and attack towards the actresses (physically, not professionally) involved highlighted that. hence my query and comments. the book is remarkable, i suggest if interested, you read it. youll probably/potenially view the movie in a whole different light? its a great journey.

...kytnism...:|

NSFW:
your personal review and attack towards the actresses (physically, not professionally) involved highlighted that.

WTF?
I didn't attack either actress.

"Physically, not professionally": what does that mean?
I attacked them physically?

literature that is later adapted into film is targeted at a key audience; generally toward those appreciative of the text and story outlining the film.

I could give you thousands of examples of big-screen adaptations that are not aimed at people who read the book.

I went to see the movie, having read a review that didn't mention the book at all.
There was no mention of the book in the advertisement...
If the film was promoted as an appendage to the book, then I wouldn't have seen it.
The fact is: it wasn't promoted as an appendage to the book.

A truly great adaptation transcends the source material and has a wider audience than people who read the book... I hadn't read Into the Wild when I saw the film, and I liked it a lot... Then I read the book, and I liked that too.

I suspect that it was difficult to adapt Wild, and keep in everything from the novel.
I get that, but I think it could have been done better.

Parts of it they should have been left out.
Flashback montages are not effective ways to tell back story.
I felt like I was being fed the back story, out of context.
A woman gets cancer. A horse dies.
And, having not developed any sort of connection to the horse or woman, I don't much care.

I get that they have limited running time, but a lot of it was wasted on slow scenes of a little value.
Like the scene where she struggles over a small obstacle, and smiles afterwards.
The symbolism was patronizing. The scene served little function...
And the long scene of her erecting a tent. A classic filmic cliche.
They could have cut that stuff, so that we got to know the mother.
But, they didn't.

If they wanted to fit everything from the novel in, and keep the slow pace, it should have been a mini-series.
If they were thinking that the mother had already been established in the novel...
Then, what about the people who pay to see the film without reading the novel?
It wasn't advertised as something that would only appeal to people who read the book.
And, honestly, knowing film-makers, I doubt anybody would intentionally make an adaptation like that.

the book is remarkable, i suggest if interested, you read it. youll probably/potenially view the movie in a whole different light? its a great journey.

I may read it at some point.
But, even if I do, I will not view the film differently, regardless of the quality of the book.
Like I said: films should stand on their own legs.

It's not impossible to tell that story, on film, without relying on audience members reading the book.
I would have treated the film as a stand-alone attempt to tell a story, even if I read the book, and had the same criticisms.
This is how I generally approach adaptations.

[/rant]

I get that you disagree with me, but you can't invalidate my opinion.
Maybe if you hadn't read the book, you'd have been disappointed too?

(Spoilers... tl;dr.)

Last edited:
Wild (spoilers)

NSFW:
Reese Witherspoon with dirt on her face, wandering around in the desert. A bunch of flashbacks and flashback-montages revealing the back story and her relationship with Laura Dern (her mother). There's all sorts of emotive stuff in the flashbacks - infidelity, drug use, cancer, even a scene completely out of nowhere where they shoot a horse in the face... This is how we know Witherspoon's character is troubled and why she is in the desert. It isn't revealed through her acting or through character interactions. It's entirely revealed through (mostly dialogue free) flashbacks / montages... I'm not a big fan of flashbacks, especially when they're supposed to be a character thinking back in real time... And I'm not a big fan of montages, full stop... So flashback montages representing the unfolding memories of a protagonist in real time is a trifecta of shit for me... unless it's done exceptionally well, which this isn't... Most of the stuff set in the present, with Reese walking through the desert, is too slow... and there's some tonal inconsistency. Like when she puts on her pack near the beginning of the film and can hardly lift it or when she's struggling to erect a tent. These moments felt like they were lifted straight out of an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond... I didn't feel like I got to know her character, nor did I think Witherspoon or Dern (who were both nominated) stepped out of their acting comfort zones. Witherspoon doesn't wear as much make-up and she shows her tits. That's about it. There's nothing interesting about either performance. You could pretty much cut and paste Dern (who I think is a great actress, don't get me wrong) from other films. Certainly not career best performances from either of them. They were nominated because of the type of film this is, not because of their performances... But, what type of film is it? An empowering film for women? An artistic film about a drug addict on a path to redemption? For me, try as it might, it doesn't qualify as either. I was not very impressed.

2 stars.

I was reading older reviews. Some nice ones I missed..
From Wild, it was okay I expected more of this movie. And from Reese Witherspoon too.

I watched A Clockwork Orange for the first time in like five years. It was real horror show just as I had remembered it to be. I would like to get my hands on a copy of the book. I remember reading it in high school. Stanley Kubrick made some disturbing adaptations.

Kings of Summer
Was ok, the funny little italian kid saved it

some people just can't let go and be entertained, kyt. they only seem happy when they've got something to be unhappy about :)

but it's their right to make that choice. it just seems, to me, to be a pretty miserable way to go through life. but that's mileage and it varies.

the trick is not letting it rub off on you :)

alasdair

What a pile of shit.
I'm not miserable.
I just didn't love the film.

I didn't realize that there was only one valid opinion.
This website is crazy sometimes.

The last film I saw: Mortdecai.
I liked it, despite it's flaws.
It was clear from the beginning that it wasn't taking itself too seriously, so neither did I. Reminded me of a Pink Panther film... but Depp wasn't quite as good as Sellers.

2.5 stars.

Last edited:
What a pile of shit.
I'm not miserable.
wow, touched a nerve? while my comments were, to an extent, precipitated by your comments, i wasn't referring solely to you.
I just didn't love the film.
i'm not the only person here to have noticed that your comments seem more frequently to be negative.
I didn't realize that there was only one valid opinion.
er, there's not. and if somebody said that, it certainly wasn't me/ perhaps you missed (of chose to ignore) where i explicitly said the opposite: "that's mileage and it varies"?
This website is crazy sometimes.
sure.

alasdair

Your post was off topic and ad-hominem. You were judging someone and while u didn't specify it came across like it was about me... and clearly it was. U didn't touch a nerve. I just feel like I should be free to defend myself... I haven't been negative in this thread. You and myth made personal judgements. All I did was review a film... your comments about me not being able to enjoy anything are way off. You don't know me. Whatever the fuck. I'm going for a swim.

...it came across like it was about me...
not everything is about you.
I just feel like I should be free to defend myself...
but i should not be free to voice an opinion?
I haven't been negative in this thread.
agree to disagree.
...me not being able to enjoy anything are way off.
i never said that.
You don't know me.
indeed.

alasdair

You implied it... and I didn't judge anyone or make personal comments; you did, whether or not you pretend passive-agressively that they weren't aimed at me is irrelevant... I made some negative comments about films I reviewed but that's part of the thread. There was no reason to make it personal... what you said was uncalled for IMO.

Last edited:
You implied it... and I didn't judge anyone or make personal comments; you did, whether or not you pretend passive-agressively that they weren't aimed at me is irrelevant... I made some negative comments about films I reviewed but that's part of the thread. There was no reason to make it personal... what you said was uncalled for IMO.

some people just can't let go and be entertained, kyt. they only seem happy when they've got something to be unhappy about :)

but it's their right to make that choice. it just seems, to me, to be a pretty miserable way to go through life. but that's mileage and it varies.

the trick is not letting it rub off on you :)

alasdair

wow ForEverAfter. alis initial comment was directed at me NOT you and was very positive and peaceful. how youve managed to turn that into an argument/debate involving yourself is beyond me?

...kytnism...:|

Positive and peaceful?

Bullshit.

It was directed at you, but it referred to someone else... and, whoever they happen to be, it was negative and judgemental (about them).

I don't want to have a debate any more than you or alasdair. I'm the last person to post on topic (Mortdecai).

It takes two to tango.
Agree to disagree?

Last edited:
your inbox is full, ForEverAfter.

Wetlands

solondz meets girl power. and while solondoz, as objectively as he can manage, presents vulgarity as an undeniable aspect of human nature, this movie embraces it. also reminds me of afthymis filippou + yorgos lanthimos. it's some funky entertainment. certainly has a few shortfalls. on netflix and worth watching.

I didn't realise there was a new Solondz flick out. Awesome.

I'll make some room in my inbox later today. Busy ATM.

i meant, "like solondz meets girl power." sorry about that bit of disappointing confusion. i have no idea if you'd like this movie or if you'd find it immature and pretentious, but i would be interested to hear.

funny it led to confusion because i felt guilty when writing it. drawing parallels and divergences is a copout, but for minimal word count it's useful, fun, and i often can't resist.

Last edited:
Damn.

I anticipate Solondz films almost as much as Von Trier flicks. I skimmed your review on my phone and saw his name a couple of times.

Argh.

Ill PM you when I get a chance to clear some space,btw. Still busy.

last movie I watched

Class - 1983

it starred Rob Lowe and some other guy I didnt recognize (Andrew McCarthy? yeah idk) as these rich prep school seniors at an esteemed academy.

first off, I think this might be the most unintentionally hilarious wardrobe for a movie ive ever seen. All of the main characters are continually dressed like they just showed up for a Ralph Lauren commercial. Rob Lowe especially just always looks fuckin fresh to death with like 3 layers of blazers and coats and shit.

Basic synopis of the story (not really a spoiler since the movie tells you what the plot twist is before you see it):

Johnathan (unknown actor to me) is a nerdy new student who gets Skip (Rob Lowe) as his roommate and they become friends after playing pranks on each other. Johnathan then gets banned from interacting with the closest female prep school and Skip feels bad for him and entices him to take a trip to Chicago for the night to try and pick up a woman.

Let me just interject this here, this is the first time you realize like, these kids are fucking loaded. actuallly theres a scene earlier where Rob Lowe drives John and two girls around in this sweet ass porsche only to have john throw up in it.

but, when Skip gives andrew a hundred dollars (in 1983 money) just no problem you think like "damn these kids are loaded"

so, long story short, Johnathan goes to a bar on Skip's orders and meets an older woman named Ellen. this is actually Skip's mom although neither of them are aware or their connection. Mostly because Johnathan lied and said he was a graduate student at Northwestern. They sleep together and even take a trip to New York together (again, rich ass kids) and this is where Ellen discovers his true identity while looking at his wallet while he tries on clothes.

This leads to one of the funnier scenes in the movie as Ellen suddenly ditches Johnathan and when he exits the dressing room and sees her running away he chases after her only to see her peel off in a taxi cab. He is then accosted by the store tailor who assumes he was shoplifting but he literally just had his heart broken like its a funny scene

so the film kind of rolls along with other scenes about prep school shenanigans (john cusacks film debut as well as the guy from ferris bueller who wears the red wings jersey) and you almost get lulled to sleep over what really just happened.

Until Christmas time comes and Skip invites Johnathan over his house for a few days.

This leads to two of my favorite scenes in the movie that happen in a pretty short time period.

The first one is of Rob Lowe and John riding in his sick red Porsche back to Skips mansion and the Joan Jett version of Drummer Boy is playing in the background and it just cements like Rob Lowes character Skip (I use those interchangibly sorry) is the fuckin man. When they get to his mansion he simply states (prob the 2nd best line of the movie) "eh, it's not much, but it's home". like he lives in a fuckin mansion and he's just like "hmmph"

so John and Skip proceed to smoke weed and then talk with Skip's dad, who only seems to be concerned with politics. At this point, the door opens and Skip runs to greet the visitor and the film does such a good job of making you forget the situation (joan jett man!) you see Ellen walk up and immidiately freeze when she sees Johnathan. they play it off like they dont know each other but she later tells him she would not like him on the property after an awkward dinner.

so the boys return to school without incidient but as time goes on Ellen keeps calling Johnathan and requesting they meet up to talk. When they finally do, it leads to a scene where Skip and other students unconver the meeting. this causes Skip to run out of the room in anger. When Johnathan finally talks to Skip about it, he apologizes, and Skip says "a fuck is just a fuck"

during this, the school is being investigated for a cheating scandal. John revealed to Skip early in the movie that he cheated on his SATs to get into Harvard.

Ill stop the review there to not completely spoil the movie's end but basically Rob Lowe is the man for the character he plays and that's mainly what the movie is about. How Johnathan transforms from a shy, awkward boy, to a grown man via sleeping with Rob Lowes mom with means povided by Rob Lowe in the first place.

A lot of tense scenes in this movie, and no matter what seems to happen, the kids get away with it because they are rich.

If they didnt tell you the big plot twist from movie synopsis, this movie would have gotten 9/10 from me

but they did, and no amount of tailored leather jackets worn by Rob Lowe can fix that

7.5/10

solid movie. could have went with a slightly older looking Johnathan and it would have been better. still, Rob Lowe makes this movie

and Joan Jett christmas music man!

and when I said 2nd best line in the movie earlier, this is by far the best. the last line of this scene. That is Skip the whole movie

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.