Technical Problem Whats the deal

TALLY 2.0

Bluelighter
Man. ever since I came back last Semptember, the site's stability has been horrible. I keep timing out when I reply to threads and even have a problem just getting to the site at all. Its only this site too.

Whats the deal? Id feel better if I knew what was going on.

How many calendars do I have to buy to fix it?=D

I haven't had too many problems except for recently while stuff has been shuffled around for pruning.

It most likely is due to the pruning. They are trying to do it on off-hours, but theres obviously never going to be a time when everyone is offline unless they take the site offline for a bit. I think they are trying to find a happy medium :) but that means slow downs every so often :( But they shouldnt last more than a few min :)

But Tally, you can still buy as many calendars as you'd like. You can buy them all, in fact! =D

Awwww Dude! The pruning!!

I cant believe I forgot about that.

Wow.

thanks

This is from another thread, I wrote it out to explain the prune, and I dont want to write it again, so I'm just quoting myself =D

fizzle said:
Update: I just got a PM asking about pruning, I should have explained it here but I didnt even think about the fact that many of our members are new and have never experienced a prune, so I'll explain it here... most of you have probably been experiencing a lot of the slow downs and time outs that have been happening lately. A lot of that is due to server overload, a LOT of people use this site and it has tons of info stored on it. Every year or two we go through and do a hard delete of old threads earlier than a certain date, but that means we have to make sure our important threads dont get lost in the process. In this case our prune will be for anything that has not been replied to within the year 2010. If there is something you want to save, simply bump the thread (you can just say "bump to save from prune" or whatever, just something so that theres a response) And yes, you as members are encouraged to help. Just make sure its a thread of value, because if every thread gets bumped it sort of defies the point of the prune lol but we've never had a problem with that. This is also the first time we will be going through and pruning archives, so if theres anything in there you want to save be sure to talk to a mod (I dont think members can post in archives, but I dont remember for sure). Anything replied to in 2010 is safe, so dont worry about those.

If you have a thread that you arent sure about, just link it here rather than bump it, that way you can get feedback from others as well. However if a forum doesnt have a thread like this and there is a thread you arent sure about, just ask the mods of that forum. If there is a thread that you just MUST save, or are pretty sure others would want saved, go ahead and bump it

If anyone has any more questions you can ask them here.

Just to add to that, most forums will have a new temp area, usually called "pending deletion" or something like that, and thats where everything that is at risk of being pruned gets held for a few days. Anyone, including members, can go in there and suggest or bump things that they would like saved.