• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

what's the best street fighting style?

Mehm

Bluelight Crew
Krav Maga is pretty intense; I just watched it for the first time on Fight Quest. Otherwise, I think Aikido, Ninjustsu, and Muy Thai are probably up there.

Any takers?

I used to train in Brazillian Jiu Jutsu and Hapkido. Some of the holds were pretty brutal in BJJ, but you're stuffed if you go to ground against multiple opponents.

100m sprint works pretty well too. Remember it's not the art, it's the artist.

BJJ is a must for regulated fights but a death sentence in the street against more than one person..

Mexican Judo..."Judont know I gotta gun, Judont know I got a knife, Judont know what the hell I got...

Mehm said:
BJJ is a must for regulated fights but a death sentence in the street against more than one person..

I think it's funny how many people say this as an excuse to not learn how to grapple. It's especially funny when they find themselves under a sloppy mount and unable to do anything but desperately cover up from punches because the guy beating their ass took a year of wrestling back in highschool.

And mark my words...people...with the rising popularity of the UFC and MMA in general every 4th asshole you meet is going to know basic positional skills, submissions, and a simple ground n pound. As time goes on a real ground game is going to become more and relevant to "real self defense" both one on one and against multiples.

There's no rule that says I can't be an asshole by nature.. still learn to grapple...hold you down..and have my asshole buddies help kick the shit out of you while you tell me that grappling isn't relevant to real fighting and that's why you can't escape mount.

Not that I'm that asshole...but that type, with just enough knowledge to be dangerous, and no real morals are coming.

As far as the original post goes...the best street fighting style is the one that you can preform under pressure. The best way to know that you can preform under pressure is to actually fight someone who has intention to do you harm in a relatively open rules environment. Your supposition about what you can do is irrelevant.

Way to many martial arts nerds out there who are under the impression that they're ready to actually fight because they can do their drills well in class.

Me...I'm a sport fighter, a pretty successful modified thai rules fighter with a few MMA matches under my belt. In about a dozen fights total fights I have succeeded pretty much every time in being the first fighter to plant my heavy ass right hand upside my trained and conditioned opponents head.

When I throw that right hand I intend to break their jaw...doesnt tend to work out like that due to the gear...but my intention is to do serious damage.

As such, I have utter confidence that if ever a time presented itself outside the ring where it seemed appropriate to plant my heavy ass right hand upside someones head without gear magnifying my ability to do damage I could do it easily. I never question "well...am i prepared to use this move in a real fight against Joe or Jane Blow??" It's a no brainer. It's something I've done dozens of times against someone who was out to hurt me just like I was out to hurt them.

If you can't seriously test your shit in hard sparring or in a relatively open rules competitive fight then you don't actually know if you can do it. Do you really want to do nothing but speculate about your abilities until you actually really need them to save your ass?

shouldn't this get moved to second opinion?

i train BJJ, it's fun and keeps me in shape. i guess there's self defense benefits too.

but these arguments are pointless. for starters, MMA is a lot different from a street fight (refs and rules). grabbing and squeezing an attackers balls WILL neutralize them, no matter how big or small or strong they are. there's all kinds of other vulnerable points on the human body though.

i live krav maga the most out of the fighting styles.

Robot J said:
MMA is a lot different from a street fight (refs and rules).

The mentality that a fighter should step into a ring fight with is that the referee and rules are there to protect the other fighter from ME.

The referee is there to pull ME off of THEIR bloody unconscious body.

The rules are there so that I maybe don't drop a couple dozen spiking elbows onto their face and beat them so retarded they can't feed themselves and so ugly that their mother wont do it for them. Because I am here to maul whatever gets put in the ring with me before they can even begin to think about putting up a fight.

The perception of a fighter should be that combat sports are put in place so that those of us who relish slamming our knees into someones jaw again and again, those of us who enjoy the feeling of literally exploding someones nose across their face with an overhand right, those of us who take sick pride in observing just how much we can actually fuck someone up with nothing but our physical body will have a venue to do it in, with like minded types, where we can maul each other in relative peace without anyone having to go to jail at the end of the day.

A lot of the combat athletes I know...and myself aswell....are not "sport fighters" because we want to "play" a "sport", we're "sport fighters" because we like to beat the shit out of people on a semi regular basis. You've got to be at least a little bit of a sadistic fucker to get into these games, when you love violence to the point where you make pursuing violence in the most brutal manner allowed by law your HOBBY and not just something that "might happen on the street" you're at least bit fucked in the head.

I think it's funny that people feel that because a combat athlete is relatively courteous to their opponents (who we respect) in the ring that that same courtesy is going to be extended to someone who goads us into a fight outside the ring. That we're still going to play by the same rules and respect the tap.

Lastly, If you step into the ring with the mentality that the ref is there to save you and that your opponent will play nice then you've already fucked up. For one thing that's just a weak mentality to go into a fight with.

For another people get injured, people get crippled, people die. I watched a guy get his heart stopped by a kick in an amateur kickboxing match not more then a few feet from where I stood and not more then an hour before I fought in the same ring.. If they didnt have a difibulator on hand at that tournament that dude would be dead. Not sport dead, Not dead till the referee tells him it's cool to come back. Just plain old dead. "Protect yourself at all times" isn't something they say at the beginning of every fight because it sounds pretty.

Last edited:
old skool fists of fury.....mixed with a lot of know how in BJJ and submissions, mixed with a nasty bit of wrestling

Anything goes in a street fight so therefore I don't really think there is any particular best fighting style to have. I think the best street fighters are the ones willing to do whatever it takes to put the other person down. That may involve biting, scratching, nut shots, barstools knives or whatever.

I think in the UFC and K1 MMA type events from what I have seen of it definately Jui Jitsu and the grappling type style are very effective in the lower to light heavy weight divisions. Most of the bigger guys tend to just want to slug it out punch for punch.

ever see Indiana Jones where the guy is doing all these crazy sword forms and then Indy just whips out his pistol and puts him down?

in all seriousness, in a real life fighting situation no style is going to serve you well. being experienced in various facets of fighting, calm, and able to absorb some damage will probably be what wins versus a black belt in this that or the other martial art.

I'd say Muay Thai, you don't want to really be rolling around on the floor doing Jujitsu when the other person's friends are there to kick you whilst you're down.

Fight your opponent, don't just fight the style you were trained to fight.

in a real life fighting situation no style is going to serve you well

what about krav maga? it is specific training for street fighting. how can training for something not help you in it?

mooncaller: point very well taken on the bjj. I think your right in placing a large amount of importance on it.

Mehm said:
how can training for something not help you in it?
People tend to focus on their training because thats what they are taught.

Instead of fighting to win, people fight their trained style, even if there style is not the best suited to win.

There are Mixed Martial Arts leagues like UFC and Pride where people fight in what is basically a street fight scenario with only a couple rules like no eye gouges. Jiu Jitsu is the most dominant martial art by far in MMA.

It all started when Hoyce Gracie beat Bruce Lee. Good striking is good vs other strikers, but once a grappler closes the gap, the striker has no choice but to grapple. Jiu Jitsu > all.

Krav Maga is overrated. No one in MMA uses it. After Jiu Jitsu is Grecoroman/traditional wrestling, Sambo, and then striking techniques, best by far Muay Thai--a good elbow strike is devastating--then boxing, TKD, and Karate.