• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What's the best band/act/dj you've ever seen?

footscrazy

Bluelight Crew
What's the best live set you've ever seen, and what made it so good? (And I'm talking about the music, not the drugs ;))

I don't know if I can choose a favourite, or if I can ever remember them all, but I have a few that come to mind. Back when I was a little raver I loved Scot Project and followed him to all his shows. At Kryal Castle once, I walked out of a portaloo and there he was, waiting in line for the toilet! I got a signature with eyeliner and got a request in, so that was an awesome set to listen to and finish off the night with.

Hearing Grouch at EarthFreq last year was fucking amazing, I'd never heard of this dj til then, but he had the best glitchy set, I remember just sitting on the grass in abolute bliss listening to this guy.

Finally, I stumbled across True Live playing at my uni once, it just caught me straight away, such a good vibe and awesome, upbeat music.

How 'bout everyone else?

i saw mike whitney off his head on pills doing old school aussie rock covers of acca dacca, oils, and chisel...he was on fire serenading a table of ladies at the columbian a few years ago haha.

caribou and four tet at the metro was a great show.

mount kimbie and seekae at the art factory and was a fucken great show, except some dodgy prick pick-pocket and stole my wallet.

frenzel rhomp at bdo some years ago just tearing strips of the cock sucker john howard, the whole crowd was loving it, then john butler came on straight after and had a large 'no howard' sticker across his acoustic guitar which he revved the crowd with. then grinspoon came out and tore shit up.

probably most memorable was seeing chemical brothers in the boiler room close goldy bdo some years ago...super high under the smoke machines and lasers.=D

last nye at origin borgore counting down to midnight brings back awesome memory's.had to drop a massive dose of mdma due to paranoia after seeing a dog,every time i hear this one song from borgore it puts a grin on my face.hoping this nye will top it :)

Last edited:
omg hard question luckily i can answer it due to my last recent gig. Hands down Dash Berlin twice on the 2/12/2012, Seeing him 2 years in a row front row at Stereosonic and then the Trance afterparty at the family? His manager greeted us at 11:55pm with a f**k yeah awesome artwork (we draw one when we see him), great to see you here again and look forward to seeing you again next year. Anyway His Steresonic official afterparty at the Family nightclub hands down, been to many shows since 2004 and seeing an artist twice in a day is epic, traveling overseas to festivals is also up there but this will top it. Dancing away from my fav Dj only a piece of glass away. Not to mention his manager talking to us through his set and dancing with us, i mean who does that? To meet his manager finally and Dash 2 years running is epic, I will have to post a picture of what we had from both years. Words simple can't put it into justice how good it is to have contact with your idol :)

so list

2004 - Metallica
2005 - Nightwish
2007 - Gigantour - Megadeth,Static X, lacuna Coil
2008 - Iron Maiden & Nightwish, Armin Van Buuren
2009 - Summerfieldazye Ferry Corsten & Armin Van Buuren b2b (Goldcoast), Soundwave - Alice in Chains & Lacuna Coil, Ferry Corsten The Family Nightclub, Slayer & Megadeth Riverstage, Loud Park Festival Japan - Steel Panther, Dokken, Loudness,Anthrax,Megadeth, Arch Enemy (my 24th birthday too hehe)
2010 - Sonata Arctica, Metallica x2, Logx2, Paramore
2011 - Soundwave - Stone sour, sum41, ill Nino, Slayer, Queens of the stone age, Iron Maiden, Katy Perry, Stereosonic Festivial Madeon, Bt, Jochen Miller, Dash Berlin, Ferry Corsten, Avicii
2012 - Soundwave 2012 - Steel Panther, Bush, A Day To Remember, Manson, Bizkit, Soad, Slipknot, Hell Yeah, Zebrahead. The Darkness, The Art, Steel Panther, Ferry Corsten, Zoo Brazil & Shogun Stereosonic, Tranceducer, Marlo, Orjan Nilsen (fail act live, fat little kid), dingo players (shit) sander van Doorn, Dash Berlin, Dash again at afterparty.

next up Nightwish 2013 and soundwave, still want tickets to the darkness in April 4th?

quite hard to top Dash Berlin, being a rock metal person for years and moving into trance into 2009 its hard to describe the vibe he gives off, PLUR Dash!!!

I only really go out these days to see fav artists... :D

Last edited:
I'm an old prick so for pure spectacle and professionalism I'd say U2 in 1993 on the Zoo Tv tour.

DJ would be Jeff Mills at the old Heaven nightclub in Adelaide in 2001 and festival gig set would have been the Wombats followed by New Order at this years Future Music. I love the Wombats and when New Order came on after them all the kids left the stage and it was time for the adults to have a dance!

My favorite set I have heard like is Tiesto and two tribes I think it was and I will have a guess at 2002

Chemical Brothers hands down are the best electronic act I have seen live....I have only seen them two or three times, but they are the only group I have seen where from the time they came on stage to the time they left I was dancing like a motherfucker without any drugs at all. Their whole show is just that good.

Non-electronic: Mindless Self Indulgence, the Breeders, Concrete Blonde, Jazzy Jeff (supported by aussie chick Mirrah doing fucking INSANELY good freestyle), Tiddas and Jay Brannan (supported by aussie chick Gin Wigmore who is about a thousand times more awesome than that slag Delta)...all very different types of music, but very good at what they do.

Oh, and special mention goes to PJ Harvey, NIN and Scissor Sisters...all of whom are groups who had one or two tracks I liked before I saw them live but never really loved them in general...then I saw them live and was blown away. :)

Hearing Grouch at EarthFreq last year was fucking amazing, I'd never heard of this dj til then, but he had the best glitchy set, I remember just sitting on the grass in abolute bliss listening to this guy.

He's a really nice guy too! First met and spoke with him a couple of years ago and I recently saw him again in Portugal this year at the BOOM festival, 6:30am set by the lake with the sun coming up over the horizon on the beach.. total bliss! :)

Tool
Nine Inch Nails
Rammstein

There's more but those three stood out for me.

But I would have to say the best live show I have ever seen and is yet to come close to even been matched would be:

Iron Maiden Somewhere Back in time World Tour - 2008'

The atmosphere was electric! Oh nostalgia :)

Ones that I remember as being stand out:

Rammstein - BDO 2001.

Chemical Brothers BDO 2005 (Perth) - That whole evening in the boiler room was one of the greatest nights of my life really.
Strangely enough when I next saw the chemical brothers at something in Wellington square, they absolutely sucked. Most boring show ever.

Parklife 2005 - Chickaboo / Rennie Pilgrim

2007 - Plump Djs @ The Court

Breakfest 2007 - Stanton Warriors / Plump Djs b2b.

Krafty Kuts - Summadayze 2010

A warm up act for The Resonance back in maybe 2006. There was this electronic act with an opera singer who was wearing a blue dress made which was plugged in to the power and had loads of blue lights on it. - No I'm not making this up and I was sober / straight.

i can't pick a favourite but have some memorable experiences seeing some of my favourite acts over the years.

pearl jam and red hot chili peppers for the first two acts at the entertainment centre in brissy at 16 and 17 was pretty awesome. my older brother bought us tickets and even managed to go bar hoping with his charming ways and gift of the gab. i was getting hit on by some older bird in her 30's when she asked what i do and stupidly and bluntly said "still go to school". my brother started feeding me light beers after that. i had a natural feeling of ecstasy seeing flea and frusciante and chad jam with my older brother moshing next to me. we were in the "chili bowl" which made it even the better.

noisia in bisbane was awesome. met the guys for a short period.

machine head/arch enemy/ and (ugh) trivium - black crusade tour. it was only shortly after phil demmels dad died while they were on tour and machine head fucking ripped it. i was off tits on speed with a full leg brace as close to the mosh as i could handle. seeing angelina on stage was just beautiful.

bdo highlights - metallica, hatebreed, system of a down, muse, chemical brothers, tool. that's all my baked mind is allowing me to process right now. i have been beyond messy at every event apart the BDO in muse first came, was with my then gf who is pretty hardcore christian and even against me just having a few drinks.

drunk as a motherfuker, coming down from a two day bender smoking ice, i saw mudvayne at the arena in brisbane. i had drank to much beer and was moshing too hard when i had to spew. i ran for the door, spewed on the sidewalk, looked at the bouncers who just gave me this "wtf" look and told me "hurry up and get the fuck back in there". lol. i crashed hard that night and couldn't join my friends i hooked up with for that event to go out for beers afterward. the drive home the next day was sluggish and very seedy.

caribou and four tet at the metro was a great show.

he's meant to be pretty mindblowing live from what i've heard? i've only heard and listened to his stuff in the last year and really dig his talent.

Last edited:
he's meant to be pretty mindblowing live from what i've heard? i've only heard and listened to his stuff in the last year and really dig his talent.
yeh mate he put on a good show. he played as a three piece with two other dudes, and they killed it. tbh, four tet was just as good if not better, probably because i wasnt expecting it though. good memories from that night.

pretty keen to see seth troxler while hes out here this time for the festivals. has anyone heard if he is doing any club gigs on the side?

I don't know if it was necessarily the best gig I've ever seen, there's been a few goods ones..

But the one that always comes to mind is:

Infected Mushroom: Earthcore (VIC) 2003: sunrise set, been 40C all weekend and just for their set there was a beautiful thunderstorm - so we all got to dance in the rain, which kept us cool and all the dust down. The storm only started as their set began and it cleared up as soon as the set finished, the timing was incredible.

U2 with Jay Z doing the opening and Jedi Mind Tricks. Great stage, venue, and crowd.

i'll probably get flamed for this, but who cares...

birds of tokyo, broken strings tour.. must have been 2009?

they did accoustic set, accompanied by string quartet & grand piano..

best gig i've been to..

and i've been to a few..

and i've been to a few..
fan of the string quartets are we...
why are chicks that play flute &/or harps always gorgeous?

my favorite genre is hip hop. joelistics is the best ive seen. its a blend of electronic aus hip hop. i hadnt heard of him before, and going in i wasnt expecting much after viewing some youtube clips, but was very impressed.

I would be hard pressed to pick a best gig ever but some memorable ones were

Pantera Far Beyond Driven tour 1994
in the pit. I remember getting up at 4.30am to make sure I could get dancefloor tickets that sold out in minutes.

Rage Against the Machine 1994. Mostly memorable because of the pink & blue notes spewing out of Tom Morellos guitar neck & exploding in showers of smaller notes & how hot it was.

Henry Rollins performing a Black Flag set ????. Everything I expected & more. Raising money for the West Memphis 3 & hearing Rollins play every fucking Black Flag song that mattered was unbelievable.

Slayer performing Reign in Blood in full 2008
. One of my favourite bands performing my favourite album in full. Very very heavy pit on the barrier.

H20/Terror 2011. No security, stagediving allowed & it reminded me of an old school hardcore show. Two of my favourite bands playing killer sets complete the circle.

This is no top 5 by any means but these sprang to mind.

Last edited: