• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin What's going on with my veins?

KillaBea

Greenlighter
Since searching the internet and asking fellow users resulted in zero help I decided to go some where many users will be at once. A little back history, I've been an IV heroin user for almost 3 years. I don't have any track marks to show my usage, and I believe that's due to always jumping around to different veins. Lately I've been poking and fishing for a vein for hours although I'm active, drink plenty of water (that's all I drink) and always practice sterile punctures. Most of the time when I hit a vein the red flash happens, I pull back the plunger ever so gently to reveal the slow flow of blood telling me I'm in. I start to push the plunger and I don't feel a burn, as I would if I'm not in my vein, there isn't any swelling around the injection site but I will stop about half way to make sure I'm still in and everything looks good so I continue forth with the rest of the liquid. After removing the syringe I start to feel a dull burn and I start to itch in at the injection site. I'm not feeling any of the drug I just injected. WTF? So I get the flash as I'm in, but apparently I'm not and it all ends up going under my skin wasting everything. Does anyone have any suggestions about my technique or experience like mine? What am I doing wrong?

If your getting the flash, your good, if there isnt a bubble rising on when ur injecting, your definetly in the vein.... thats very weird, has this happened consistently now where you register but u dont feel anything?

or was that just once.

maybe u need to take some subutex for a week and then go back at it.

This happens to me In the same spots that I over use (only ones left) I've been IV 4 years . It literally drives me insane when I see a spec of blood and I hardly moved it or not at all and for some reason it won't hit its like half in half not , that's what I think it is . My theory when your veins get to the end they half register and don't even work stop using those

Yeah.. OP: You could be hitting the vein, getting in there, then just slightly pushing the smallest bit too hard, especially if your using a brand new rig each time, which is good.. but rigs when they are brand new, are very sharp and the slightest bit of an extra push that sometimes you don't even notice when hitting the vein, and you can actually puncture the vein and go through the other side at the bottom of the vein, through than cause it to miss.. or you could be in, actually be IVing and in vein perfect, then again, the slightest little wrong movement at all, I mean like just a little rotation of the rig, or anything more than what it took to get in the vein, can cause it to puncture and miss.. usually happens to me, when I am at either the very beginning of the shot, and I push a bit too hard, then I pull it out, as soon as I feel the miss, and re-register or at the very end of my shot, and I end up wasting some of whatever it is I am banging.. it sucks, but it happens.. doesn't happen to me very often anymore, but that sure sounds like what it is your doing.. puncturing the vein you register in, on accident. That's a shitty feeling!

Sounds like tolerance... itching always happens for me around the injection, but I only get pins and needles at high doses where that doesn't garuntee nodding while I never nod without pins and needles.

Because I'm too lazy to edit my post through phone as it never works right.

Anyways I personally never poke through the vein, but I can push the needle up on the wall so it is like in the vein wall. If I try to push there is resistance and I fever l never pushed enough in to tell if it went in or not as I never pushed more than a few units as I couldn't even get to ten units without it making me stop due to resistance and pain.

My guess - tolerance. I doubt you're missing, you seem to know what you're doing.

It's possible to have what I like to call a "Trick Vein". I'm not going to make a stupid attempt to back this up with references, but I will tell you that I've registered properly a number of times, but still missed my shot. It's my median cubital vein on my left arm. They even try to use it for IV because it's so ripe, but for some reason, it's not viable anymore. I have no idea how this works or why it happens, but I can tell you that it's a real thing.

Sounds like you're doing everything right.
The product ("heroin") you've been injecting lately might be pretty impure, the burning/itchy sensation could easily be explained by a cut causing an histamine reaction

It's possible to have what I like to call a "Trick Vein". I'm not going to make a stupid attempt to back this up with references, but I will tell you that I've registered properly a number of times, but still missed my shot. It's my median cubital vein on my left arm. They even try to use it for IV because it's so ripe, but for some reason, it's not viable anymore. I have no idea how this works or why it happens, but I can tell you that it's a real thing.

This. OP is this happening with a set of PARTICULAR veins or with EVERY vein you hit? If so, have you tried different veins with different brands of rigs? For example, with a particular brand of 1/2cc rigs this shit always happens to me. If it's not the latter, there is a flaw in your injection technique.

Thank y'all for helping me out with my situation. To answer some questions, it does happen most of the time. It's crazy because I will have 2 or 3 good days where I will hit my vein on the first try and I feel the rush and I'm high for a couple hours. Then all of a sudden I am getting the flash but my shot is going under my skin and I'm not getting high. It will go on like this for me for 2 or 3 days (on having a bad 2 days right now) As far a the tolerance, I don't think it's that because when I'm for sure in, I get high as can be. I was thinking maybe it's the sharp needle scenario, however, I will use the same needle a few times for the one shot. I use a new syringe with a new shot but if I don't get it on the first time I will poke myself a few times.. Idk.. this sucks

I can vouch for this. Sounds exactly like what happened to me a couple weeks ago. Same vein too (I looked at a reference chart) I was happy - great register first attempt - missed the shot. I have no idea why. looked and seemed great - but no go :?

Last edited: