• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What's after Vyvanse?

peewee005

Greenlighter
How is it that the 12+ hour, Vyvanse, only last ~2 hours for me? The first dose works, but for only 2 hours. Then, after I take a 2nd, 3rd, and even a 4th dose during the day, I can't even feel it anymore.

10AM: Take 1st 50mg Vyvanse dose.
11AM: Really start to feel it.
~1PM: Starts to wear off.
1PM: Take 2nd 50mg Vyvanse dose.
2PM: Feeling starts to come back, but not like the first dose.
~4PM: Wears off again. Irritability/Depression/Emotions start.
4PM: Take 3rd 50mg Vyvanse dose.
5PM: Only Irritability/Depression/Emotions go away.
7PM: Irritability/Depression/Emotions is back, but worse.
7PM: Clonidine/Trazodone/Xanax

If I were to take a 70mg instead of a 50mg it just makes it more intense, but doesn't last any longer.

I've found that Vyvanse is very inconsistent. -.-

Should I ask the doctor for Adderall/Focalin/Dexetrine/Desoxyn/etc? or does this sound like a tolerance problem?

Speak to your medical professional (doctor, gp) and tell them exactly what you have said here, without actually asking for other drugs and he will do what is best in his medical opinion to help you.

Bluelight is not here to help you scam your doctor though.

Closing.

PM me if you think it warrants being open :)

Mugz

edit- opened at the request of the OP, I think it may have been my overeager grumpiness that caused me to close it, sorry.

Last edited:
Also, I tend to drink alot of acidic drinks (Red Bull, Coke, etc),which would result in less vyvanse entering the blood. But, would that effect the duration or just the intensity?

^ pH does not affect vyvanse at all as vyvanse is absorbed in the first intestine after it has been "cleaved," and not the stomach like adderall/dexedrine.

^This. Vyvanse doesn't have any effect while "in the blood". Vyvanse is a pro-drug for dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine).

This could indicate a metabolic issue, however, as, in my experiences, Vyvanse lasts quite a long time. Have you had the same issue with other amphetamine-based ADD/ADHD stimulant drugs (Adderall, Dexedrine, etc)?

Usually the doctor will prescribe these if Vyvanse doesn't work, but, as has been said before, that's something for you and your doctor to discuss. :)

i was on vyvanse for 6 months and i know what you mean about it not lasting so long, well the focusing effects that is. i started on 20mg and was upped to 40mg eventually until i was taken off it.

just like you said, upping the dose raises some of the intensity but not so much the benifical duration. i say that because even though my vyvanse dose would wear off around noon, i could still feel some of the other effects like appetite suppressed, wakefulness and sometimes trouble sleeping (after weekend breaks) and i wouldnt start to feel completely normal until later on at night.

i too learned that redosing through out the day would bring back some of the effects but not even half of what it was and would wear off even quicker. then another redose would just make me feel normal. i think all amphetamines are like that: once youve peaked you cant peak again in the same day, IME.

so IME vyvanse does last a long time...just not the desired effects. like everyone said let your doctor know about this. im going tommarow to tell my doctor the same thing. wish us both luck :)

Finally, lol, someone who understands me.

Do you take a break once in a while or take it everyday like me? haha.

I know vyvanse comedown is suppose to be the "smoothest", but it's terrible for me. A comedown after a 50mg dose makes me irritable/depressed for hours. Then, after I have 3x/4x doses total just to cover the entire day, the final comedown is a living hell and leaves me with insomnia for day(s).

Is a comedown on Dexedrine easier than vyvanse?

Last edited:
Finally, lol, someone who understands me.

Do you take a break once in a while or take it everyday like me? haha.

I know vyvanse comedown is suppose to be the "smoothest", but it's terrible for me. A comedown after a 50mg dose makes me irritable/depressed for hours. Then, after I have 3x/4x doses total just to cover the entire day, the final comedown is a living hell and leaves me with insomnia for day(s).

Is a comedown on Dexedrine easier than vyvanse?

i took it everyday except on weekends. comedowns were pretty bad for me too especially if i redosed in the day. like you said insomnia and i guess some compenets of depression. i would be not talkative and wouldnt find anything interesting or want to do anything i normally liked to do.

from what ive read dexedrine comedowns are easier and dont last as long as vyvanse's. i hope my doctor lets me try dexedrine for sure

When I use to be on 60mg Cymbalta and 54mg Concerta last year, I don't ever remember having any crash, but I don't remember feeling as "high/euphoric" being on just vyvanse with no SSRI.

I still have no idea why he switched me from Concerta to vyvanse. Probably just put more money in his pocket by making the switch.

The last visit I had with my doctor, he put me on 10mg lexapro. I think that should help with the crashes. But, it's only been week 2 on lexapro so far.

i took it everyday except on weekends. comedowns were pretty bad for me too especially if i redosed in the day. like you said insomnia and i guess some compenets of depression. i would be not talkative and wouldnt find anything interesting or want to do anything i normally liked to do.

from what ive read dexedrine comedowns are easier and dont last as long as vyvanse's. i hope my doctor lets me try dexedrine for sure

I usually do just 2x 50mg doses daily, but for some reason I did 4x doses due to my unbelievable tolerance I've been building. I didn't sleep the whole night and was depressed the ENTIRE next day.

Do you think the weekend break helps with your tolerance at all?

Last edited:
the weekend breaks help somewhat. then when id take it monday after the break id feel it more then tuesday would be ok but then the rest of the week was pretty much the same problems

Ive had very similar experiences as you with amps, I don't know if it's faster drug metabolism, or that you only feel the positive/helpful effects on the come up, but regardless, i know how you feel. What I've found to help is just take smaller doses of a short acting drug, I prefer adderall instant releases, but that seems to work for me. For now since you have the vyvanse, you could always try taking your one 50mg dose in the morning, then wait until u start to feel the comedown and eat half of one. Then a couple hours later eat the other half. I realize if you open um they are powder, but you can just put it in a drink, or another capsule.

And a weekend break sounds like a great idea.

You could also look into using cimetidine, an OTC heartburn med, to increase the duration of your amps.
Try searching along the lines of cimetidine, urine pH, renal excretion amphetamines.

Last edited:
I should check out my urine pH level.

Wouldn't prolong usage of amphetamines cause high prolactin levels? That could also explain the short duration, right?

Okay, I'm going to give Vyvanse a break. I'm on day two w/o Vyvanse and I feel like total shit (depressed/irritable/fatigue).

Anyone have any supplement suggestions on how to make this withdrawal more pleasant?

Last edited by a moderator:
How long have you been taking Vyvanse? Unless you've been taking it basically daily for a while, you won't experience much of a withdrawal besides being really tired and hungry as your body catches up on all the sleep it didn't get and all the food you didn't eat while on amphetamines.

The duration of vyvanse seems highly individual. Its all dependent upon how much of an enzyme called trypsin you happen to produce in your small intestine. If your body happens to produce a lot of trypsin naturally, vyvanse will be for all intents and purposes equivalent to instant release dexedrine.

How long have you been taking Vyvanse? Unless you've been taking it basically daily for a while, you won't experience much of a withdrawal besides being really tired and hungry as your body catches up on all the sleep it didn't get and all the food you didn't eat while on amphetamines.

I've been on it for close to 2 years. At first, I was just taking 1x 50mg daily, but it always seemed to wear off too quick, and I couldn't have it wear off during college, so my doctor put me on 2x 50mg daily. After that, it's just been going downhill. Just recently, I've been taking 3x and EVEN 4x (was last week, and I stayed up for 2 days straight) daily.

I didn't take any this past weekend, and I didn't do anything productive being in bed the whole time. I also in the kitchen every 15 minutes looking for anything to eat. But, yesterday (Monday), I didn't take any and the I was more irritated/angry than I've ever been. It wasn't a worry/depressed irritation, but more like I had to go knock someones lights out.

Today I still felt the irritated/angry, so I took one 40mg in the morning. That seemed to be a relief, but I'm probably gunna have another hard "crash".

FYI, I was also put on lexapro 10mg 3 weeks ago. I'm guessing my doc put me on that to counter the "crash" in the evening.

The duration of vyvanse seems highly individual. Its all dependent upon how much of an enzyme called trypsin you happen to produce in your small intestine. If your body happens to produce a lot of trypsin naturally, vyvanse will be for all intents and purposes equivalent to instant release dexedrine.

Is there anyway of telling how much trypsin the body produces?

How is it that the 12+ hour, Vyvanse, only last ~2 hours for me? The first dose works, but for only 2 hours. Then, after I take a 2nd, 3rd, and even a 4th dose during the day, I can't even feel it anymore.

10AM: Take 1st 50mg Vyvanse dose.
11AM: Really start to feel it.
~1PM: Starts to wear off.
1PM: Take 2nd 50mg Vyvanse dose.
2PM: Feeling starts to come back, but not like the first dose.
~4PM: Wears off again. Irritability/Depression/Emotions start.
4PM: Take 3rd 50mg Vyvanse dose.
5PM: Only Irritability/Depression/Emotions go away.
7PM: Irritability/Depression/Emotions is back, but worse.
7PM: Clonidine/Trazodone/Xanax

If I were to take a 70mg instead of a 50mg it just makes it more intense, but doesn't last any longer.

I've found that Vyvanse is very inconsistent. -.-

Should I ask the doctor for Adderall/Focalin/Dexetrine/Desoxyn/etc? or does this sound like a tolerance problem?

Does your doctor know that you're also taking Clonidine/Trazodone/Xanax? I recently got a prescription for Vyvanse. I had already had a script for Klonopin for occasional performance-related anxiety. I didn't like the lead-head feeling I got on Klonopin, though, so my doctor gave me a script for Xanax instead. This is only for occasional usage, though, and not for the days I take Vyvanse. My doctor warned me that it's a bad idea to mix benzodiazepines, like Klonopin and Xanax, and told me specifically NOT to take the Vyvanse or drink alcohol on the days I take a Klonopin or Xanax.

So, I wonder if your problem may be due to mixing these two drugs.

^ I agree.

Vyvanse does come and go in waves for me. I both hate it and like it, because the waves are typically very strong and enjoyable despite even high tolerance.

My suggestion would be to drink caffeine during the sessions in which you feel the strength of the medication wearing. Keeping food in your belly should also help.

If you have a good doctor he can prescribe you something that will work with minimal consequences. If not, then he is not doing his job correctly.

i was consistently on 60mg vyvanse for years and it always lasted a good 10 hrs....
there def may ne underlying health issues if you feel no effects after only a couple hours... at that point its barely in your system...
it would take about an hour and a half for it to even kick in fully for me

I have been on vyvanse for 4 years and I have never had problems with the duration. I was on 60mg for about 2 years and actually found it to be overly stimulating. 40mg with a 5-10mg dexedrine booster works perfect for me.

I think many people associate the speedy pseudo tweak too closely with the intended effects of Rx amphetamines. When I take vyvanse, I get a bit of an energetic push which subsides after about 3-4 hours. After 4 years of use, vyvanse only feels like an amphetamine for a few hours but I do notice a general nootropic effect that far outlasts the stimulation. In my experience vyvanse does provide positive cognitive effects for 10+ hours.

If you are having genuine problems with duration, talk to your doctor about a IR booster. Most experienced ADHD psychs won't have any problem considering adding low dose booster for use later in the day. IME having a booster helps a lot with both duration as well as the comedown.