• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What's a fair amount of miles for a used car.

xxsicknessxx

Bluelighter
I'm buying a used Prius and I'm a little over whelmed by the choices but u can get a Prius anywhere from 8k 150k miles or 13k 89k miles.
It's a car worth anything after 150k miles. If I ask them when the battery was last replaced I mean what else should I be aware of? I'm having problems finding the perfect Prius for me I just need the car to last a couple years while I start working again full time.. but I dunno I'm tempted to get 100k plus miles so I can buy a cheaper Prius and save some side cash Incase battery goes... Thoughts?

120949_1_800.jpeg

75 on the clock

If there is no MOT get one of these

banger-days-17

Good fun

Just wondering if anyone else bought a car here with more then 100k miles on it and how things went with it please. Haha so funny ...

You should make sure the front end is tight (steering and suspension) and that the brake rotors and calipers/pads look good. If you have a chance run it in a straight line from wet to dry pavement to make sure the who body/wheels track straight. You know, the usual car stuff still applies, too.

I'm buying a used Prius and I'm a little over whelmed by the choices but u can get a Prius anywhere from 8k 150k miles or 13k 89k miles.
It's a car worth anything after 150k miles. If I ask them when the battery was last replaced I mean what else should I be aware of? I'm having problems finding the perfect Prius for me I just need the car to last a couple years while I start working again full time.. but I dunno I'm tempted to get 100k plus miles so I can buy a cheaper Prius and save some side cash Incase battery goes... Thoughts?

240K kilometres (150K miles) isn't that much on a used car. Cars are a huge liability and lose value the minute they leave the showroom. I'd go for a 100K+ miles and save money.

TL~LAVA

Hi @xxsicknessxx

I moved your thread here in Life Advice & Visual Arts.

This forum is held to a mich higher standard then The Lounge, no trolling here.

To answer your question, regardless of what you pay, I'd google 'what to look for when buying a used vehicle', and will tell you what to look at, because you do not want to buy a car with a rusted frame, shot transmission etc, and if the deal is to good to be true, them usually that is the case.

240K kilometres (150K miles) isn't that much on a used car. Cars are a huge liability and lose value the minute they leave the showroom. I'd go for a 100K+ miles and save money.
I would say that yes, I've heard of Toyotas and Hondas putting on several hundred thousand miles. But I'd never buy an American car with that many miles. There, I said it.

To the OP, Cheshire Kat has some good advice. Also, see if you can take it to a mechanic to get it checked out before buying. Also, a CarFax report will show any wrecks for which it has been repaired as well as how many previous owners the vehicle has had IIRC. Try to find one with the fewest amount of previous owners and the older the previous owners the better. If you buy private party, they may know such info if you ask. The younguns are notorious for driving too fast and fucking cars up. YMMV

I would say that yes, I've heard of Toyotas and Hondas putting on several hundred thousand miles. But I'd never buy an American car with that many miles. There, I said it.

To the OP, Cheshire Kat has some good advice. Also, see if you can take it to a mechanic to get it checked out before buying. Also, a CarFax report will show any wrecks for which it has been repaired as well as how many previous owners the vehicle has had IIRC. Try to find one with the fewest amount of previous owners and the older the previous owners the better. If you buy private party, they may know such info if you ask. The younguns are notorious for driving too fast and fucking cars up. YMMV

Haha, yeah I wasn't sure if it applied to a Prius. Hondas are great btw (although I've had two and both had overheating problems).

Fords are pure evil and I will never buy another one.. Except the Interceptor from the original Mad Max which was a 1973 Ford XB Falcon GT 35 😎

Haha, yeah I wasn't sure if it applied to a Prius. Hondas are great btw (although I've had two and both had overheating problems).

Fords are pure evil and I will never buy another one.. Except the Interceptor from the original Mad Max which was a 1973 Ford XB Falcon GT 35 😎

Of course. I used to drive a 1963 Ford Fairlane and it had over 100k miles on it but had only had 2 previous owners. I'd happily drive another one but I was always working on it, which can be an advantage because those were the cars you could actually work on yourself without taking it to a mechanic most of the time. Ah, the good old days.

You should make sure the front end is tight (steering and suspension) and that the brake rotors and calipers/pads look good. If you have a chance run it in a straight line from wet to dry pavement to make sure the who body/wheels track straight. You know, the usual car stuff still applies, too.
Great advice although I'm gonna go out on a limb and presume that the OP knows nothing of what you said.

Yes and especially a Toyota.

My dad's Hilux is as old as I am and it's still going strong 🥰 I fucking love that car so much.

Great advice although I'm gonna go out on a limb and presume that the OP knows nothing of what you said.
These are expensive and important items of wear, they can add up to thousands in repair costs. Google is your friend for finding how to do them, BTW

If you don't know much about cars, either take a friend or relative along with you who does know about cars to check the car over for you, or take it to a mechanic to get checked (you'd have to pay for that, obviously). Or if you feel up to it, as Cheshire_Kat implied above, you could google it and research it all and check the car yourself. If you're not savvy with cars though this may be a bit overwhelming. But it is definitely possible.

It's not hard.
Check when the timing belt has been last changed.
Apply pressure to all four corners of the cars as in put your total body weight on it and see if the springs bounce back up.
Start the ignition and check for warning lights.
Feel the hand brake.
Check for rust.
Check for oil leaks where the car was standing.
CHeck tyres.
Small test drive check for knocks and odd sounds.

Give cash.

Japanese cars will generally last a long time... 100k miles on a Honda or Toyota, and it's just getting started. Whereas on an American car, and it's on it's old. Every car I've bought except one was a Honda/Acura, and over 100k miles. I think of 120k as the benchmark for buying a car under, but again, it really depends on the make

Just wondering if anyone else bought a car here with more then 100k miles on it and how things went with it please. Haha so funny ...
Hi
I have always bought second hand cars,most of them with a little under 70kmiles and with a bit of knowledge and a bit of luck you could have a great time and the opportunitys are endless.1 advice on how to choose a decent car is to know who drove the car before, the most important clue in my personal experience is the number of the previous owners, the less the better and it would help if you would know the person who drove the car before, people's personalities usually reflects in the car they drive
I have never bought an electrical car though

Last edited:
Yeah, I wish my brother were on this forum (to offer insight) because he's a master at buying great cars secondhand for cheap, fixing minor issues, and getting good life out of them.

I also look at under 120K as the benchmark. If you can afford this—13k 89k miles—then I'd do that.

Years ago I got a Nissan Sentra with 110,000 miles on it. I drove it for another 75,000 miles and never had any problems at all. Then I gave it to my ex-girlfriend. Don't know how long it lasted after that.

modern cars and engines can reach very high mileage (500,000KM no problem) what is important is to make sure the maintenance has always be done according to the maker's instructions.