Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

What We've Learned from Giving Dolphins LSD

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member

DANIEL OBERHAUS
Mar 2 2017
Communication between humans and animals may be possible after all.

In 1961, a handful of the world's top scientists gathered at the Green Bank Observatory in West Virginia, home to one of the most powerful radio telescopes in the world and the birthplace of the modern search for extraterrestrial intelligence. The meeting was held to decide whether scanning the cosmos for signs of alien life was a worthwhile idea. The group named itself the Order of the Dolphin in honor of John C Lilly, a neuroscientist who would spend the peak of his career taking LSD and trying to talk to dolphins.

Only a few years earlier, Lilly—trained as a neuroscientist—had expanded his research on consciousness and the brain to dolphins. Lilly noted that dolphins' brains were about the same size as humans'. If they were as smart as humans, Lilly wondered, would we be able to communicate with them?

To better study his subjects, Lilly opened the Communication Research Institute on the island of St. Thomas, where he and a small group of colleagues would pioneer the study of dolphin communications. Lilly's early experiments, published in leading journals like Science, suggested that dolphins were capable of mimicking human speech patterns, and that inter-species communication was indeed possible.

But Lilly's unorthodox methods may have had a significant influence on his results. As he detailed in a 1967 article, he had been administering 100 microgram doses of LSD to the dolphins, as one of the handful of researchers in the US who had been authorized to study the potentially therapeutic effects of the drug.

Lilly noted that dolphins on LSD were far more vocal than usual. This was measured through a "duty cycle," or the percentage of the time that a dolphin will spend vocalizing per minute. Without anxiety or stimulation, this duty cycle for sober dolphins can oscillate wildly from zero to 70 percent. With dolphins on LSD, the duty cycle "very frequently does not drop to zero at all."
cont https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/what-weve-learned-from-giving-dolphins-lsd
45721-thumb-700x394.jpg

Allen Ginsberg, Timothy Leary, and John Lilly in 1991. Photo via Wikimedia Commons

I'm proud to be a part of species that not only takes psychedelic drugs themselves but also gives it to other animals.

DANIEL OBERHAUS
Mar 2 2017

cont https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/what-weve-learned-from-giving-dolphins-lsd
45721-thumb-700x394.jpg

Allen Ginsberg, Timothy Leary, and John Lilly in 1991. Photo via Wikimedia Commons

I always find it interesting when walking amongst nature that animals are communicating to each other all the time, yet as humans we generally can not understand the most basic levels of communication which occur between them.

I always find it interesting when walking amongst nature that animals are communicating to each other all the time, yet as humans we generally can not understand the most basic levels of communication which occur between them.
Well, it's not like there's much going on in terms of other species communicating with each other either, so at least we're not alone :p

this is actually a really fucking sad story, from what i've read about it.
human's are really needlessly cruel creatures, interesting as all this is. especially in the 1960s before research had to be approved by ethics committees and so on.

humanity's cruelty really is boundless.
what other creature actively wipes itself out?

but yeah, apparently the juvenile male dolphin that got attached to the young lady was just abandoned in some aquarium somewhere. they're very social animals, and he apparently stopped coming up for air - basically committed dolphin suicide.

article here -
The dolphin who loved me: the Nasa-funded project that went wrong
In the 1960s, Margaret Lovatt was part of a Nasa-funded project to communicate with dolphins. Soon she was living with 'Peter' 24 hours a day in a converted house. Christopher Riley reports on an experiment that went tragically wrong
(i'm surprised Vice didnt go for the dolphin-girl sex angle...)

Last edited:
We have to evolve or be sent packing.. someones got to do it.. so it falls to us?

young male dolphins rape. They will gang up on a female and chase her into exhaustion and then gang rape her.