• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What was the prescription of opioids like in the US before the DEA crakdown?

cowardescent

Bluelighter
I know that you guys consume most of the worlds hydrocodone (got a lot when I went to visit my aunt in Los Angeles) and other opioids but it seems that now prescriptions are handed out far less than they used to be in the nineties or noughties since the DEA is cracking down on physicians who over-prescribe as well as people who sell their prescriptions to others.

Since I live in Western Europe, I don't know what it's like to get these strong painkillers so could you paint a picture of what it was like to get painkillers handed out almost like candy? Were they "abused" by many recreationally?

From the stories and documentary's i've heard there were basically pill mills that would literally give you anything you had the money for. You could step into a mill and get 120 oxy80's with no questions asked.

From the stories and documentary's i've heard there were basically pill mills that would literally give you anything you had the money for. You could step into a mill and get 120 oxy80's with no questions asked.

This essentially. I've seen goldmines of OC, hydro, methadone, etc when I was little not knowing at the time what they were. Our current heroin epidemic is a result of this 'recent' change/crackdown in policy. Now the money is just changing different hands because the doctors/DEA/fucking whatever else stupid acronym force, are playing fast and loose with powerful meds. All that money going to suppliers and pushers goes right to the "black market" too folks. Outside our economy technically(?).

That's when people started seeing the other pharmacist. Sorry to rant but the US medical system/policy is ass backwards more often than not. I've been mad about this chain of events for a long time.

I got hooked on opiates before the crackdown. And I live in the state that was notorious for how easy it was to opiates, Florida. Basically, all you had to do was go to a shady doctor who you paid for a bogus MRI (to at least make it look legit) and then you'd walk out with a shit ton of pills. And there was no controlled substance prescription database back then, so the really enterprising addicts would hit several of these "clinics" in one day. As a result, doctors can now longer dispense medications (outside of trial amounts) in their offices. Meds have to come from pharmacies. And yes, these drugs were abused by "many." Every time I went to the "doctor" for some phantom pain, the place was always packed.

I was one of those "enterprising addicts" in South Florida starting early 2000's. I would use my insurance once a month and pay cash for additional prescriptions. It wasn't as easy as people make it out to be- meaning you were required to have an MRI as documentation of your condition. A person just couldn't walk in and get prescriptions for exorbitant amounts of medication either.

Some practices were more strict than others. One office I went to (you could call it a pill mill) had a security guard for when clients and/or their family and friends needed to be thrown out. They also refused to see patients under the age of 25. There were other places that featured one-stop shopping where you could fill your prescription on-site. That was a real convenience and eliminated the need to find a pharmacy that stocked my meds.

perfectly fit 20 year olds were getting 240 30 mg roxies for a sore back with no MRI or medical history or back pain. 30s were dirt fucking cheap. Oh man what days those were. I was in south florida too.

^ to the above poster i got roxy 10s with no MRI on my first visit ever, i was under 25. That pill mill was robbed several times because they dispensed in house and they were shut down.

no problems with the pharmacists either.

and I agree with aihfl, the waiting rooms at those doctors looked like the crowd at an NA meeting. People would go in covered in track marks and walk out with 180+ 30s

perfectly fit 20 year olds were getting 240 30 mg roxies for a sore back with no MRI or medical history or back pain. 30s were dirt fucking cheap. Oh man what days those were. I was in south florida too.

^ to the above poster i got roxy 10s with no MRI on my first visit ever, i was under 25. That pill mill was robbed several times because they dispensed in house and they were shut down.

no problems with the pharmacists either.

and I agree with aihfl, the waiting rooms at those doctors looked like the crowd at an NA meeting. People would go in covered in track marks and walk out with 180+ 30s

That made me laugh. Oh man.

one day i'll be telling my grandchildren paying 700$ for a roxy about what they used to cost back before the shit hit the fan....where we used to just give a friend a roxy for free because they were so cheap.

If anyone wants some good reading about the pill scene in florida during those years 2002-2008ish read "Generation Oxy" its a good read and written from a drug user/dealers perspective.

now days I'm blessed to even have a hydro ten script that i only fill every other month to act like i don't want them.

Missouri was big on pill mills too, hell even up until just a year or so ago. I was 16 going in with my "uncle" getting painkillers.

I wouldnt say they were handed out like candy but i would say they were handed out like antidepressants.........i know, its a bad joke.

From age 21 to 27 my monthly script from a single doctor was:

*120 OC 80mgs.....(original formulation)
*200 hydromorphone 8mgs
*120 clonazepam 2mgs
*120 promethazine 50mgs

I definitely didnt have a health issue that was in need of such a hefty prescription but by the end of it i needed every bit(and then some) to get through the day.
"It was the best of times and it was the worst of times...." If you know what i mean.

Oh and i almost forgot to mention, i never had an mri, bloodwork or any other "screening" procedure. Hell, i never even got a physical from that doctor but i DID see him every 28 days(or less).

There were even times when id plan to spend a month or so out of state(cause i had excess money for a few years) and he would write/post-date my scripts for me to fill wherever i was at.
The looks id get sometimes from the walgreens pharmacists were priceless and there was more than once that they wouldnt have the 80s or 8s in stock(or so they said) and id spend a day tracking down a location that did.

Yep, a lot of things about that time period i miss and a few things i dont.....

Last edited: