The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Trigger Warning What triggered the opioid epidemic in the US

mauve

Bluelighter
What in your opinion is the root cause of the current opioid epidemic in the US?

My pain. But I have to think on it. I'm am very biased about opioids and the pain relief that they offer and do provide.

I wish to only experience beautiful days again. If only. 🙏<3

It really was and epidemic and great while it lasted. Many good things do end. And it was hauled.

I think it is and was a bit too extreme. Maybe a quick money grab. Follow the money trail kind of thing. But still . . . .

I'm still in shock about it.

All I can do is pray on it now. Lool. It is very sad.

It's like way too much or nothing at all. It will always have a bad reputation. Unlike weed that has to be the remedy now.

Chess.

Imo, there is no one thing you can point to, aside from the nebulous concept of conciousness. Human life is uncomfortable, and society is decaying in many ways, despite the chic veneer the government and media wants us to believe in to continue the cycle of economic consumption and opression.

Opioids present a brief escape from some of this discomfort. The discomfort is growing, thus the self medication is growing.

Also, calling it an opioid epidemic is a little bit of a misnomer. The drug supply is poisoned. Opioids aren't the problem here. A toxic drug supply is poisoning people en masse.

It is an overdose epidemic.

Doctors over prescribing then cutting patients off so they then go to the streets.
Now in Canada you can walk into a methadone clinic and leave with hydromorph so access is easy now.
Years ago heroin wasn't easy to find but with fentanyl it's everywhere and cheap

And as said above people are more stressed. I was in a bad accident and got a payout thinking I would be OK for life but the money I budget monthly doesn't go as far anymore.
Food prices are crazy, rent is crazy, taxes keep going up.
I can see why younger people have a bleak outlook on life

There were multiple triggers including a major heroin crisis before oxcontin and all the fentanyl products and that cause the opiod boom, particularly from pill mills pain clinics in Florida.

Sorry I'm from the UK so the only information I get is from the news media. I watched a docuseries about the sacklers in the 90s, I mean opioids have been around forever. It seems something happened around 2000 and then all the synthetic poison coming in around 2014 or so

There were multiple triggers including a major heroin crisis before oxcontin and all the fentanyl products and that cause the opiod boom, particularly from pill mills pain clinics in Florida.
that's why it used to be called 'hillbilly heroine'

that was really sad because i never got to have a pill mill though. :(

i shoulda moved to Florida but i had enough of that for too many lifetimes

no thank you . . . Fl. 😁

edit: the bugs are horrible . . . . in Florida ect ect ect

sry

Good thread!
As we all know, the DEA Came down so hard on the doctors making them afraid to prescribe, Even to legitimate chronic pain sufferers. I'm a 20 year chronic pain sufferer and have a responsibly taken oxycodone all these years. I was able to have somewhat of a quality of life.
My pain clinic has shut down and there is no Doctor within a million miles.Who is gonna prescribe
My oxycodone. So what is a person to do?
I can see why Good honest people end up turning to the streets and. Nobody seems to mention.
The higher suicide rate because of people who can't take the pain and can't get their legitimate meds.

Imo, The epidemic has gotten worse because of these people who feel they have no choice but to turn to the streets and end up getting dirty drugs and overdosing.
It seems to me that the "War on drugs" Has back fired.

Last edited:
ur government.ur behaviour to consume all in large quantities-food,drugsalcohol,sex..etc...and u are lot of people also.....to earn money and to buy things...to keep economic alive(including drug and pharma industry.....ur look of life-well..... workin' hard(Alright) and having fun.....loss of spiritual awerness,loss of ur roots..Ur melting pot of nationalities which once upon a time made America great did not working anymore.....U've got a real big problem

Last edited:
ur government.ur behaviour to consume all in large quantities-food,drugsalcohol,sex..etc...and u are lot of people also.....to earn money and to buy things...to keep economic alive(including drug and pharma industry.....ur look of life-well..... workin' hard(Alright) and having fun.....loss of spiritual awerness,loss of ur roots..Ur melting pot of nationalities which once upon a time made America great did not working anymore.....U've got a real big problem
You've hit the nail on the head in my opinion. For reference, I was addicted to heroin from 2004-2008, finally got into recovery after multiple failed attempts in 2008, and was broken enough to accept suggestions because I clearly was not as smart as I thought I was...

Since then, I went back to school for social work and public health (had to take $187,000 out for school - final tally with interest as of 12/23 was 226k). I have worked with people who use drugs since 2011, and I would agree with everything you said (though with some nuance):

America's consumerism and individualism is ultimately an empty system, devoid of any real feelings of satisfaction. You can buy a brand new car, house, technology, and it has already dropped in value by the time you leave the store. It's like when you do a line of coke and you know the comedown is about to come, so you rack up 4 more lines to be ready. Never enough. Except - we're sold on a system which tells us we can have 'The American Dream' - an illusive state of satisfaction that was much more easily attainable 50 years ago (if you were white).

Our spirituality has been broken by grifter Christian televangelists promising God for just 99.95$, by pederasty in the Catholic church, by political propaganda against Islam, by Anti-semitism, and by the commercialization of Buddhism into yoga cults that grift. People have lost connection with spiritual practice because they're all tarnished in some way or another, leaving people feeling empty and disconnected.

Suburban sprawl with it's infinite growth, infinite cost attached, leads to neighborhoods devoid of any of the culture that comes from city living. There's no music, no art, no interesting cuisine, just little segregated plots of land with guns behind people's doors and medicine in the cabinet. There's money but it's fading fast, there are good schools, but they struggle to compete with Tik Tok and the ongoing assault on public education.

The cities have increasingly become magnets for the wealthiest, and poorest, purging those of us who were once called 'Middle Class'. My neighbors all earn 2.5x my salary (as a therapist) on average. Most of my neighbors are not from around here. The wealth has bought systems of security while the poverty has created generational trauma and ripe breeding grounds for addiction, hopelessness, and the trap of getting tangled up in the dwindling safety net.

If I'm not mistaken, we're the only country where pharmaceutical advertisements are permitted, where it's normalized for a patient to be a conspicuous consumer (Unless you're one of THOSE patients....). We've increasingly medicated existential uncertainty with ritalin for several generations now, first pathologizing atypicality with various disorders, and then watching as people now self-diagnose these very same disorders as a means of feeling special, relevant, or simply to try and understand the suffering they experience. If you're not medicated, you're competing against people who are whether you realize it or not.

I turned to heroin because I'd done everything right, for the most part. I finished high school and got into a good university, I completed in 4 years and found myself unsure as to what to do next - I was 21 years old and despite having lived on my own for a few years at that point, I had no idea how to live a life. Opioids were cheap (Oxys were 40$ for an 80mg pill - diacetylmorphine was 120$/gram) and they were everywhere - normalized by the medical establishment and further stoked by the existential dread of 9/11, the kindling of new technology, and the threat of terrorism and war. The bubble burst and there was opium to numb it. Over time, my generation was decimated - I've lost count of how many friends, former using buddies, people from treatment programs, people in 12-step meetings, patients, and colleagues have died from overdose deaths, many dozen at least.)

Finally - our primary tool against opioids has been Suboxone and Narcan - we're throwing drugs at a drug problem. What we need, is access to ongoing restorative residential treatment programs with trauma-based career development, Criminal Justice reform, and guidance. We needed that a decade ago. What we get, is 5 days in detox and a referral to suboxone programs, where people with no lived experience are telling people trying to find recovery what's best for them. Meanwhile, the recovery support programs (12-step for example), don't view medication assisted treatment as 'truly sober' - so you're caught in a gray world of almost sick, almost sober, peeing in a cup once a week and having someone investigate your personal life so that can access the medication that you can't function without. I do my best to be a counterpoint against that, I'm open about my past, and I'm open about my expertise. My work speaks for itself, but I'm so fucking tired sometimes.

I just got loan forgiveness last week and private practice is calling. All told, 14 years to earn degrees I graduated with in 2012+2014. I've had to pay the equivalent of a second month's rent for the duration (aside from the merciful break in payments during the pandemic). I'll stay connected to public health work, but private practice is much more lucrative and much less taxing. I need to take care of my soul, man. This work is a grind and it's gotten harder as the drugs got stronger and more plentiful, as the cost to rent an apartment as tripled, and as so many people have left the field since CoVID.

So, that's my perspective on what has happened and why we are where we are.

Supervised consumption/Overdose Prevention/Community Engagement Sites are needed - Get people off of the streets so they can use in a space where others will look out for them. It'll keep them from the steps of the library, the subway station, or the starbucks bathrooms, and give them access to people who care.

Residential Treatment Programs that people actually want to utilize. If I hadn't 'had access to 9 months of publicly funded residential treatment, I wouldn't be here today posting this.

Include job training and criminal justice reform pathways for people in treatment, develop internships with companies who want to do business here.

You can't do one without the other.

Last edited:
You've hit the nail on the head in my opinion. For reference, I was addicted to heroin from 2004-2008, finally got into recovery after multiple failed attempts in 2008, and was broken enough to accept suggestions because I clearly was not as smart as I thought I was...

Since then, I went back to school for social work and public health (had to take $187,000 out for school - final tally with interest as of 12/23 was 226k). I have worked with people who use drugs since 2011, and I would agree with everything you said (though with some nuance):

America's consumerism and individualism is ultimately an empty system, devoid of any real feelings of satisfaction. You can buy a brand new car, house, technology, and it has already dropped in value by the time you leave the store. It's like when you do a line of coke and you know the comedown is about to come, so you rack up 4 more lines to be ready. Never enough. Except - we're sold on a system which tells us we can have 'The American Dream' - an illusive state of satisfaction that was much more easily attainable 50 years ago (if you were white).

Our spirituality has been broken by grifter Christian televangelists promising God for just 99.95$, by pederasty in the Catholic church, by political propaganda against Islam, by Anti-semitism, and by the commercialization of Buddhism into yoga cults that grift. People have lost connection with spiritual practice because they're all tarnished in some way or another, leaving people feeling empty and disconnected.

Suburban sprawl with it's infinite growth, infinite cost attached, leads to neighborhoods devoid of any of the culture that comes from city living. There's no music, no art, no interesting cuisine, just little segregated plots of land with guns behind people's doors and medicine in the cabinet. There's money but it's fading fast, there are good schools, but they struggle to compete with Tik Tok and the ongoing assault on public education.

The cities have increasingly become magnets for the wealthiest, and poorest, purging those of us who were once called 'Middle Class'. My neighbors all earn 2.5x my salary (as a therapist) on average. Most of my neighbors are not from around here. The wealth has bought systems of security while the poverty has created generational trauma and ripe breeding grounds for addiction, hopelessness, and the trap of getting tangled up in the dwindling safety net.

If I'm not mistaken, we're the only country where pharmaceutical advertisements are permitted, where it's normalized for a patient to be a conspicuous consumer (Unless you're one of THOSE patients....). We've increasingly medicated existential uncertainty with ritalin for several generations now, first pathologizing atypicality with various disorders, and then watching as people now self-diagnose these very same disorders as a means of feeling special, relevant, or simply to try and understand the suffering they experience. If you're not medicated, you're competing against people who are whether you realize it or not.

I turned to heroin because I'd done everything right, for the most part. I finished high school and got into a good university, I completed in 4 years and found myself unsure as to what to do next - I was 21 years old and despite having lived on my own for a few years at that point, I had no idea how to live a life. Opioids were cheap (Oxys were 40$ for an 80mg pill - diacetylmorphine was 120$/gram) and they were everywhere - normalized by the medical establishment and further stoked by the existential dread of 9/11, the kindling of new technology, and the threat of terrorism and war. The bubble burst and there was opium to numb it. Over time, my generation was decimated - I've lost count of how many friends, former using buddies, people from treatment programs, people in 12-step meetings, patients, and colleagues have died from overdose deaths, many dozen at least.)

Finally - our primary tool against opioids has been Suboxone and Narcan - we're throwing drugs at a drug problem. What we need, is access to ongoing restorative residential treatment programs with trauma-based career development, Criminal Justice reform, and guidance. We needed that a decade ago. What we get, is 5 days in detox and a referral to suboxone programs, where people with no lived experience are telling people trying to find recovery what's best for them. Meanwhile, the recovery support programs (12-step for example), don't view medication assisted treatment as 'truly sober' - so you're caught in a gray world of almost sick, almost sober, peeing in a cup once a week and having someone investigate your personal life so that can access the medication that you can't function without. I do my best to be a counterpoint against that, I'm open about my past, and I'm open about my expertise. My work speaks for itself, but I'm so fucking tired sometimes.

I just got loan forgiveness last week and private practice is calling. All told, 14 years to earn degrees I graduated with in 2012+2014. I've had to pay the equivalent of a second month's rent for the duration (aside from the merciful break in payments during the pandemic). I'll stay connected to public health work, but private practice is much more lucrative and much less taxing. I need to take care of my soul, man. This work is a grind and it's gotten harder as the drugs got stronger and more plentiful, as the cost to rent an apartment as tripled, and as so many people have left the field since CoVID.

So, that's my perspective on what has happened and why we are where we are.

Supervised consumption/Overdose Prevention/Community Engagement Sites are needed - Get people off of the streets so they can use in a space where others will look out for them. It'll keep them from the steps of the library, the subway station, or the starbucks bathrooms, and give them access to people who care.

Residential Treatment Programs that people actually want to utilize. If I hadn't 'had access to 9 months of publicly funded residential treatment, I wouldn't be here today posting this.

Include job training and criminal justice reform pathways for people in treatment, develop internships with companies who want to do business here.

You can't do one without the other.
wow man.....amazing post...it's like just look through my eyes America in present days without to been never ever there....U earned my respect forever broda.....Hates off,hates off for people like u:hear4t:

wow man.....amazing post...it's like just look through my eyes America in present days without to been never ever there....U earned my respect forever broda.....Hates off,hates off for people like u:hear4t:
Thank you! That's very kind of you to say and I'm glad that what I wrote resonated positively.

American delusion is quite high - we have to accept the state we're in and focus on what needs to be done to change it. If we can't do that, we're doomed as a civilization. It's happened so many times before, the patterns are all right there and are applicable to our state of affairs. It's our own fault if we fail to learn from history.