• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

What to tell my doctor? / What medications to consider for ecstasy recovery?

punchthrone

Greenlighter
Hey guys.

I'm new to blue light. I've been visiting it for a couple weeks now to read up on other peoples' experiences, though today I decided to become a part of the community both because I'm in this little hell for a while and because I need advice on something I haven't found on any of the forums here. To shed some light on myself and my situation, I'll give a brief(ish) overview:

I'm 18 years old, I was both extremely healthy both mentally and physically before my experience with substance abuse, aside from having a small run in with depression for a part of my time in high school. I'm in college, and come from divorced parents, my father being a former addict to many different drugs. This past February I took about 5 doses (pills) of ecstasy in the span of about 12 hours. This was the first big mistake I'd ever made in my life, and I regret it completely as I'm sure many of you do. Since then I've been experiencing the typical consequences such as memory and attention problems, anxiety, depression, low sex drive, etc. I've also been looking for various solutions to recovering faster, and so far I've only tried supplements such as 5-HTP and L-Theanine. I've also been going out of my way to be extra social to distract myself from thinking too many negative thoughts.

My next planned course of action is to find a new doctor (as I've moved from my home in NY to attend college in TX) and discuss my health problems with him, and possibly go back on fluoxetine (SSRI) because I took it for depression in the past. Though yesterday I did read a thread here that discussed medications for MDMA recovery; and many people said that it's not a good idea, with few exceptions. Other more recommended drugs/supplements that were recommended on the thread were tricyclics, SNRI's, and SSRE's. If someone could educate me on any of the three and any possible experiences with them that'd amazing. Also, if anyone could let me know if telling my doctor that my issues are likely stemming from my experience with that one day of abuse is a good idea, that would be even more helpful.

NOTE: I apologize if any of my sentences and ideas are a bit confusing as putting thoughts down is still semi-difficult. Thank you!
:D

Hi punch, I'm sorry to hear what you are going through. We all make impulsive mistakes when we are young so don't beat yourself up over it.

I cannot give you much information on the various drugs that others are putting out as possible solutions but I would just advocate sticking with supplements, therapy and a really, really good diet for a while and see how things progress. If you think about it, you threw your brain a lot to deal with (chemically) and introducing new psychoactive chemicals is something that would make me nervous unless things got so dire that I felt I had no choice. While what you are going through sounds miserable it does not sound dire (please correct me if I'm wrong). The brain has a fantastic capacity to heal and adapt. I know school must be tough in this state of mind but if you can hang in there things will improve. On the other hand, if you do not feel like you can do your schoolwork, you might talk to your family about coming home for a semester. Your mental health is always the most important thing.

If you do go to a doctor just remember what state you are in! Texas can be pretty different from New York, I would feel out the doctor first before revealing drug use. This is not meant to be discouraging as I'm quite sure there are numerous good doctors in Texas that won't let prejudice about drug use cloud their decisions; just be cautious.<3