• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom What the fuck is happening to me? Kratom and gabapentin

Yes I am definitely familiar with the idea of rebound anxiety and I'm sure gabapentin is causing that! That's another thing I'm afraid of with taking any other supplements/meds. Just more rebound anxiety later down the line! I don't take any benzos and I'm terrified of them because of the experience I've had with the gabapentin. I'm sure benzos would help a ton when I quit the gabapentin and kratom for good, but I'm scared of the rebound anxiety, or having withdrawal from them even if only using for a couple of weeks.
Yes. You should be scared of benzodiazepines.
Stay away from them.
I have a sleep disorder that has to be controlled and clonazepam is the only thing that works for me on that problem.
Benzodiazepine withdrawal is way worse than any other kind of withdrawal I have experienced.
It is horrific and long.

I guess we better research gabapentin and rebound anxiety.

I took high doses of kratom for several years without much issue, but over time all these nasty side effects started appearing. Anxiety, agitation, restlessness, dehydration, headaches.

Similar to what you describe. And I agree switching to kratom extracts resolved most of the issues for me.

Out of curiosity, OP do you vape nicotine? I started having a really bad reaction to kratom + synthetic nicotine juice, which is racemic and contains (r) nicotine.

I took high doses of kratom for several years without much issue, but over time all these nasty side effects started appearing. Anxiety, agitation, restlessness, dehydration, headaches.

Similar to what you describe. And I agree switching to kratom extracts resolved most of the issues for me.

Out of curiosity, OP do you vape nicotine? I started having a really bad reaction to kratom + synthetic nicotine juice, which is racemic and contains (r) nicotine.
I've definitely heard similar stories from several people now. I'm really wary of switching to extracts not only because of the cost, but because of the potential to worsen my tolerance and eventual withdrawal. Do you think these symptoms will go away if I taper my kratom dose low enough? I'm also going to try to stay away from a certain strain I got and see if that was contributing. I actually do vape nicotine but don't notice any problems with it throughout the day. My problem is primarily ONLY in the morning when I wake up and before my morning gabapentin and I start my day. No problems making it to the slightly smaller evening gabapentin dose. I definitely feel off throughout the day but maybe being busy working etc keeps the symptoms from taking over?

Oh, I was going to mention something about the prednisone…..I had to take that once for a bad spider or wasp bite and it gave me
“Roid Rage”.
I was literally screaming and swearing at my family while at the same time saying “I am so sorry, I can’t control it!”
It was way different than the Morning panic- anxiety attacks though.
But, watch out for that. It made me extremely aggressive. It was a bad withdrawal and I only took one round of it.

Oh, I was going to mention something about the prednisone…..I had to take that once for a bad spider or wasp bite and it gave me
“Roid Rage”.
I was literally screaming and swearing at my family while at the same time saying “I am so sorry, I can’t control it!”
It was way different than the Morning panic- anxiety attacks though.
But, watch out for that. It made me extremely aggressive. It was a bad withdrawal and I only took one round of it.
Yeah I only took one dose because a lot of people do have increased anxiety/anger/other problems. I'm hoping maybe that is part of my recent problem and will level out soon

Yeah I only took one dose because a lot of people do have increased anxiety/anger/other problems. I'm hoping maybe that is part of my recent problem and will level out soon
It very well could be that.
When I saw that, I thought, BINGO!

Do you think these symptoms will go away if I taper my kratom dose low enough?

Once I developed those symptoms they did become less intense with lower doses, but never truly went away until I switched to extracts/more pure kratom products. There are some relatively affordable extracts if you find the right vendor. My personal favorite vendor has some extracts that are about 20% mit for so cheap that it's almost as affordable as leaf powder per dose. But yes, they are more addictive and abuseable.

and trust me about the nicotine, I'm not the only one here who has had really bad interaction between kratom and synthetic nicotine. The most prominent symptoms were extreme anxiety and agitation, as well as other things like heart palpitations and hypnagogic hallucinations.

The vape juice industry has basically made a hard switch to racemic synthetic nicotine due to a weird legal situation, synthetic contains (R) nicotine, natural nicotine is only (S) nicotine. If the juice you use is flavored, it's synthetic.

I only use naturally derived nicotine now. Brands like Black Note, but there are a few others. Natural tobacco juice only comes tobacco flavor, so I just add my own flavor myself.

I highly highly suggest switching to non-synthetic nicotine for a bit and see if it helps your symptoms.

Once I developed those symptoms they did become less intense with lower doses, but never truly went away.

and trust me about the nicotine, I'm not the only one here who has had really bad interaction between kratom and synthetic nicotine. The most prominent symptoms were extreme anxiety and agitation, as well as other things like heart palpitations and hypnagogic hallucinations. \

The vape juice industry has basically made a hard switch to racemic synthetic nicotine due to a weird legal situation, synthetic contains (R) nicotine, natural nicotine is only (S) nicotine. If the juice you use is flavored, it's synthetic.

I only use naturally derived nicotine now. Brands like Black Note, but there are a few others. Natural tobacco juice only comes tobacco flavor, so I just add my own flavor myself.

I highly highly suggest switching to non-synthetic nicotine for a bit and see if it helps your symptoms.
That's fascinating I would have never made that connection... Guess time to get off that as well

Hi there,

Ahh sorry to hear you having some problems possibly GABA related.

There's a lot of great advice on this thread here already so I'll not go on. I just thought I'd link in this thread I started. Bleaney posted a really good video which you might be interested in.

For what it's worth I reckon you should just get of the kratom and Gabapentin. I know it's not quite that simple but like maybe pick one, taper off. Stopl. Then taper the other off. Just give it time for your brain to settle itself and hopefuly your not gabafucked anymorel

Good luck,

BB

Hi there,

There's a lot of great advice on this thread here already so I'll not go on. I just thought I'd link in this thread I started. Bleaney posted a really good video which you might be interested in.

For what it's worth I reckon you should just get of the kratom and Gabapentin. I know it's not quite that simple but like maybe pick one, taper off. Stopl. Then taper the other off. Just give it time for your brain to settle itself and hopefuly your not gabafucked anymorel

Good luck,

BB
Thank you I'll take a look. I'm absolutely going to be getting off of both! I dropped.my kratom dose today honestly I'm less worried about tapering that one for some reason. It's the gabapentin that scares me. Especially not knowing what's causing my symptoms

Hi there,

Good luck,

BB
I'm just so scared because things have gotten worse the past few days, and now I started feeling poor an hour or so before my night gabapentin dose. I'm afraid things are going to keep getting worse and I'm just going to feel bad all the time regardless of if I'm dosing everything or not. I just don't understand what happened. As long as I took my gabapentin and kratom I was fine could sleep didn't have any withdrawal. Now I'm having my problems in the morning, and feeling bad now when I never would have in the past. I'm afraid I'm just not even going to be able to sleep anymore or something. I have to be able to continue to work...

Best of luck to you. I'd say you're in the right place if you need help n advice.

I feel like I'm spamming this thread but I feel the need to just type out how I'm feeling.... And hope maybe someone anyone will come along and have an answer for me. I really think the gabapentin is the cause of my misery. I want off both of these, but without a slow taper withdrawal will be hell (and probably protracted...). WHY am I feeling bad even when keeping the same dosage and schedule? Fuck me I'm afraid this is going to ruin my life that is finally in a good place compared to the shit I came from. I don't know how I will cope with tapering which will likely come with worsening symptoms than Im having now. And then somehow face the full on withdrawal in the end? I just want to curl up in a ball and cry.

I knew I was fucking up by getting dependent on these drugs, but I convinced myself they were helping me and that it wasn't as bad as a real drug. I could just maintain my dose and feel fine. I had no idea I would start feeling this way without changing dose or frequency.

Last edited:
Mate, if it helps to get it out fucking go for it, rant away.

Souds like you've been using too long and your body is used to it and you're getting withdrawal starting between doses is the problem.

I know how you feel but it's ok. Take a deep breath. If you need to take a dose to feel better do it. Don't do it to get high just to feel comfortable. That's ok.

I don't really know about tapering gabapentin but someone on here will be able to suggest something to help. Would switching to benzos not be feasible?

But don't stress. It will be ok. You're trying to address the problem so good for you.

BB

Mate, if it helps to get it out fucking go for it, rant away.

Souds like you've been using too long and your body is used to it and you're getting withdrawal starting between doses is the problem.

I know how you feel but it's ok. Take a deep breath. If you need to take a dose to feel better do it. Don't do it to get high just to feel comfortable. That's ok.

I don't really know about tapering gabapentin but someone on here will be able to suggest something to help. Would switching to benzos not be feasible?

But don't stress. It will be ok. You're trying to address the problem so good for you.

BB
I basically started feeling bad 30 minutes to an hour before my night dose which never happened until today. So Im almost done staggering my night dose lets hope it starts helping. But now is it going to start lasting shorter and shorter periods of time? I could add a mid-day dose to try to stretch things so I can take my night dose later to then hopefully feel okay until my morning dose. However, that means I would have to take away from either my morning or night dose and I don't know how that would go. Also would I think start getting interdose withdrawal between those? I never did with my once daily dosing until I did.... Then I never did with my twice daily dosing... Until I did. Sorry these are just my anxiety thoughts following through my brain and just being vomited out at you.

Haha, careful. I might vomit some of my thoughts back at you and they gonna sting!

I'm sorry I don't have enough experience or knowledge of gabapentinoids other than phenibut but someone will.

@Keif' Richards would you know best people to advise? @AlsoTapered you're very knowledgeable any advice for this person?

Seems like you got some good advice from folk earlier in the thread but am I right the question now is how can I quit gabapentin as painlessly as possible?

🤢. Watch out!! 🤮🤮

🤮Ha got ya... 😁😁

Haha, careful. I might vomit some of my thoughts back at you and they gonna sting!

I'm sorry I don't have enough experience or knowledge of gabapentinoids other than phenibut but someone will.

@Keif' Richards would you know best people to advise? @AlsoTapered you're very knowledgeable any advice for this person?

Seems like you got some good advice from folk earlier in the thread but am I right the question now is how can I quit gabapentin as painlessly as possible?

🤢. Watch out!! 🤮🤮

🤮Ha got ya... 😁😁
Lmao I know we all definitely have our own demons we are battling at the moment so I hope you are doing as well as you can be. The question is definitely how I can quit with as little pain as possible, but also why I'm suddenly having all these symptoms without changing anything and if there is anything I can do to prevent them while I taper. I'm okay with a long taper dropping very small amounts as long as I can be comfortable to live my life both at home and at work. I'm not concerned about running out as I'm taking as much as I'm prescribed, just not in the frequency prescribed lol. I initially got it because taking it at a high dose in the morning was great for my mood and anxiety, but I wouldn't call it a high. Just what I wish an .antidepressant could provide basically

Oh fuck me. Woke up this morning for work and feeling terrible. Shivering uncomfortable little nauseated and trying not to allow anxiety to take over. Just took my first dose of my morning stagger. FUCK. Before even when I would occasionally wake up with anxiety I would be fine before work due to just needing to stay busy until the meds kicked in I guess. I'm afraid experiencing these morning symptoms is just triggering things to be worse because Im scared when waking up of what's going to happen. What the fuck is going on with me why is this suddenly happening????