• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What the fsck is that annoying whistle sound on everybody's mobile phone?

socko

Bluelighter
It's a short whistle with several notes in it. It reminded me of a bratty 12 year old mimicing R2D2 at first. it's been around for a while. I hear it several times a day, and it has nearly pusehd me to the breaking point. Old people are the worst offenders.

I think it's just the notification sound that gets played whenever a message/text is received.

It is so annoying!!!!!
I think older people don't understand that they should be putting their phones on vibrate or silent lol

It is so annoying!!!!!
I think older people don't understand that they should be putting their phones on vibrate or silent lol

For real. My old manager's phone would always whistle and for the longest time I thought he had some sort of nervous twitch, whistling that sound over and over.

I think I might know which one you are talking about. I had a friend and we would always chat and play Halo together and in the background id hear his phone go off but id never heard that ringtone before until just a month ago (2 years later) and it was from this app I downloaded called QuizUp and it would go off when someone messaged you. But, that might be part of the new update they had but maybe it can help you track down the original.

It might be from the Samsung Galaxy phones. Their default is a whistle.

Could also be the FB messenger app. My gf pointed out to me today how much we both hate everything about that app.

Today, when somebody's phone made that whistling sound, I actually asked him what it was. It was the text messager program running on an iPhone (this is in Europe).

That's the one. It is the most annoying phone sound I've ever heard. Sounds like a spastic 8 year old trying to sound like R2D2.

I agree it really annoys me especially in bars or when your in a restaurant etc. I think its the default setting and just shows how lazy people are for not changing the fn thing.

Hahaha I actually like it but I'm a home body for the most part so not annoying you all with it :D

It didn't annoy me at first. Now every time I hear it, it reminds me of this thread.

It didn't annoy me at first. Now every time I hear it, it reminds me of this thread.
Sorry. Sometimes you don't notice an annoying sound until somebody points it out. Then it will bother you every time you hear it.

I recorded the sound onto my cell phone. So now sometimes when I hear it in public, I play it back at full volume over and over. It's fun to do while standing in line.