• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos What the come on of benzo withdrawal feels like?

HI lucid, how are you feeling? Have you been through benzo withdrawal before?
How do you feel about opiates over riding the symptoms?
I'm asking because when i stopped 3-4 weeks ago i also did'nt go and get my script for DHC, so i went cold turkey from that too. I've had it delivered now and given i'm house bound i wondered if it may help.
I feel fucking awful, i had a walk to the shops and i'm sure every one was staring, i crossed the road and it felt like the kerbs were about 2ft high really strange physical sensations.
This terror is undescribable and i have a job interview tomorrow :) it's a job i really want but it will probably be grand mal time for me ffs.

Anyway hope you are ok.

HI lucid, how are you feeling? Have you been through benzo withdrawal before?
How do you feel about opiates over riding the symptoms?
I'm asking because when i stopped 3-4 weeks ago i also did'nt go and get my script for DHC, so i went cold turkey from that too. I've had it delivered now and given i'm house bound i wondered if it may help.
I feel fucking awful, i had a walk to the shops and i'm sure every one was staring, i crossed the road and it felt like the kerbs were about 2ft high really strange physical sensations.
This terror is undescribable and i have a job interview tomorrow :) it's a job i really want but it will probably be grand mal time for me ffs.

Anyway hope you are ok.

I went about 5 days without benzos. Nothing major happened beyond not being able to sleep despite being opiated.

The opioids are not working on my pain and since it’s organ based I think something about the opioids is irritating it and making the pain worse in the long run. So i turn to the benzos instead.

I don’t know what the fuck to do man. I’m really confused. It’s not just the pain. I hit the hardest rock bottom I’ve ever hit in my life the other day. I used to smoke crack and shoot dope as a youngster and never experienced a rock bottom like this

I have plenty of money. I have an army of family and friends trying to get me the best help on the planet. I have not touched an illegal drug in a decade. I am not abusing my drugs that are prescribed in fact I’m stacking them because I take so little.

But my soul and heart broke the other day. I cried and cried and cried and I prayed, as an athiest, for the first time in 20 years.

I don’t know if that break was the result of the drug tapering down. Definitely not opioids because I’ve kicked them so many times and my heart never broke like that.

This was not a physical thing that happened. It was my spirit that broke. Is that part of benzo withdrawal?

But my soul and heart broke the other day. I cried and cried and cried and I prayed, as an athiest, for the first time in 20 years.
I've experienced this feeling of heart and soul breaking. But I experienced it before I was taking benzos, and during a non-benzo phase after.
A guy I used to talk to when I was going through a tough time (not a therapist but very life experienced and wise imo) told me this happens when bottled-up feelings come to the surface. This can happen because you consciously want then to resurface, or because you are under so much stress (and physical pain is stress) that you can't "hold on the lid" on the anymore.
Not being able to sleep adds to that stress.

Overall crying your heart out is considered a good thing, like laughing. It relieves stress. How did you feel after the crying?

Overall crying your heart out is considered a good thing, like laughing. It relieves stress. How did you feel after the crying?
I don’t know. I felt alone. So alone I had to wake up my cat amd hold him. My wife came home from work immediately and held us both.

I don’t know what to feel but I’m feeling a lot. It’s not good or bad. But it is heavy. I’m a few days into cold turkey withdrawal off everything. I don’t know if I’ll get all the way off, I don’t know how bad this withdrawal will get.

I don’t know anything but a lot of feelings the drugs have bottled up our coming out and I just don’t know anything.

The opioids are not working on my pain and since it’s organ based I think something about the opioids is irritating it and making the pain worse in the long run. So i turn to the benzos instead.
Man, that doesn't make that much sense, benzos aren't there to fight pain as they aren't analgaesics (sp?). And opioids should help with your organ based pain, maybe you need a higher dosage? I mean, if opioids were likely to harm your organ (say you have problems with bowell transit and opis would worsen it or something) your doc would not have prescribed it to you in the first place

So it sounds like you’ve being dosing daily for over a year and can stop without withdrawal?

I was like that with pregabalin which is a gaba agonist not a gaba modulator like benzos that I’ve heard ppl get really hooked on with nasty withdrawals.
Yes. I have used and abused benzos for extended periods and allways quit no problem; I just quit a four or five years zopiclone use cold a month ago and again no problemas. But pregabalin is another thing for me, it allways grabs me by the balls and I undergo quite nasty withdrawals.

But no matter if benzo or pregabs (or booze, GHB, barbs..) , when you are into gaba wds you will notice. It's subtle at first, its symptoms are easy to blame on whatever other cause, but eventually it developes into a very specific kind of hell, totally different from an opi or another wd, much more like total, pure and naked panic, actual terror. Your vision enters like in a tunnel and, as others have said, noises become unbareable. Your BP and heart rate go wild.... you will know if you are in gaba wd, you absolutely will.

Diazepam has a very long half live, we know it, but when someone is physically dependent on it, wds symptoms start relatively soon, not as soon as alprazolam for sure, but much more sooner than the hundreds of hours of its half life.
If you could go a week or so with your diazepam hiden by your partner, you should be more or less ok, I reckon. But you need to re- evaluate your diazepam use and why are you using it. If you have not muscle- esqueletical stuff, it won't help you with any kind of physical pain.

I don’t know if that break was the result of the drug tapering down. Definitely not opioids because I’ve kicked them so many times and my heart never broke like that.

This was not a physical thing that happened. It was my spirit that broke. Is that part of benzo withdrawal?

Absolutely the kind of stuff that occurs during benzo withdrawal. It is the ultimate mindfuck. Sometimes you don't even realize it's because you're in benzo withdrawal.

So, I can say pretty conclusively that you're fooling yourself with this statement:

I went about 5 days without benzos. Nothing major happened beyond not being able to sleep despite being opiated.

The only kind of pain any benzo would have any chance at touching would be pain from some kind of muscular tension/spasm. I'm not sure what you meant by using benzos instead of opioids for that. Also, even without the extra complications of long-term opioid use, it's also important to keep in mind that pain tolerance can decrease generally when your mental state worsens.

That feeling of just breaking emotionally is something I've felt withdrawing from benzos and sometimes after long z-drug binges. It's probably the withdrawal.

Something that I don't really know is where should we set the border between insomnia/anxiety rebound and "withdrawal"
After benzo cesation, sometimes, I have felt like shit, have cried my arse off and have spent nights without sleep. I call it all rebound effects.
After pregabalin or (and very specially) vodka-round-the clock cesation, I entered snother stage of things that I call proper GABA withdrawal.

But, as any and every kind of a cesation is indeed a withdrawal , I bet every symptom may fall under the umbrella

After stopping benzodiazepines, the symptoms or conditions that they were prescribed for will return, sometimes more intensely then beforehand. However new symptoms on top of that will most likely be withdrawal symptoms from the Benzo itself

Also, even without the extra complications of long-term opioid use, it's also important to keep in mind that pain tolerance can decrease generally when your mental state worsens.

After stopping benzodiazepines, the symptoms or conditions that they were prescribed for will return, sometimes more intensely then beforehand. However new symptoms on top of that will most likely be withdrawal symptoms from the Benzo itself
Agree to both these comments.

Absolutely the kind of stuff that occurs during benzo withdrawal. It is the ultimate mindfuck. Sometimes you don't even realize it's because you're in benzo withdrawal.

So, I can say pretty conclusively that you're fooling yourself with this statement:
Thanks for the confirmation.

I’m down to 2.5 mg methadone per day now. Whatever withdrawl I’m feeling benzos didn’t even touch it so I would guess it’s more the methadone.

But I haven’t gone long enough without benzos to really see what will happen. As you all have told me I need at least several weeks off to make a conclusion.

I might have another price to pay for the diazepam coming after a few weeks off benzos too. Just trying to deal with getting off methadone without feeding the benzo grip.

Whatever it is it sucks and kicking all this is the only thing I know left to try to see if my pain and/or mind can recover somehow.

Last edited:
After pregabalin or (and very specially) vodka-round-the clock cesation, I entered snother stage of things that I call proper GABA withdrawal.

I don’t know how I was immune to pregabalin I abused and used medically the hell out of it for years daily and nothing happened when I stopped and I was not using other gabergics after dropping.

Benzos definitely have a harder grip though I need to remember that and not think I’m not special.

Another question man because I know you know so much about this personally and technically. Thanks for the advice.

At 2.5 mg methadone per day I’m at now. Would there be any point in jumping to suboxone and if so I would need to dodge precipitated withdrawal. I’ve only been able to get to the point of my 2.5 mg withdrawl where my RLS and legs and body just flop around wildly in a fit. This happens about 24 to 36 hours after the last 2.5 mg.

Or do I just stick with the methadone taper and do that. I kicked methadone once before and did not get that RLS and thrashing around in bed that I’m getting this time. It was much easier the first time and I was jumping off at a higher dosage too (10mg). Again benzos don’t even touch these fits of thrashing and RLS when I reach that stage so pointless to even take them.

Wait, do you have any gabapentin or pregabalin on hand? Those are straight up used to treat legit RLS, and I've read it helps a lot of people with it in opioid withdrawals too.