• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

What strain of kratom is the strongest and the best for opiate withdrawals?

FunctionalJnkieGrl

Bluelighter
I hear good things about the Maeng Da. All I know is I'm crawling out of my skin right now and I don't wanna relapse. I took half a blue xanny (which I normally don't mess with), but I don't know if it's gonna help.

I hear good things about the Maeng Da. All I know is I'm crawling out of my skin right now and I don't wanna relapse. I took half a blue xanny (which I normally don't mess with), but I don't know if it's gonna help.
well, to be honest Red Bali or Red Borneo are classics, in terms of a sedative profile, normally with a good amount of pain-killing action and good for opiate withdrawals...
but..
then there's the best vendor's RED, that can be whatever else, I mean, it can be called whatever else, for example:
Premium Red,
Super Red,
Red Maluku,
Ultra enhanced super-dupah-drooling-machine-red....

whatever, you just need to investigate which vendor has a good red at any moment, and also trust that vendor in terms of him/her telling you which red has more potency at any moment.

But again, the most common reds for opiate withdrawal are the classics red borneo and red bali

Personally I used "Super Green Maeng Da" for a few years and had no issues. Used it to kill WDs from opioids initially and stayed on it for about 4 years to help relieve aches/pains, get a bit of stimulus, increased mood, reduce cravings for opioids, and general state of well being.
Although we will all have slightly different experiences with various strains the reds tended to make me just wanna lay around and do nothing but veg out when there were things to get done (like working, household chores, maintaining yard and such).
Would also suggest dosing as low as possible for your needs as there can arise some serious WDs for some but seems in higher dosages and length of use.
Maeng da can be pretty stimulating.
It can be IME and this is helpful when we need/want to be functional/productive while coming off opioids.
Again... all depends on person and needs.
Drinking water regularly will help with effects and digestion (I found kratom to be a good source of fiber). Need water anyway so nothing wrong with a bit higher intake.
I think the gist here is moderation and/or balance.
<3

I mostly just need kratom for nighttime use so I can sleep through the worst of the withdrawals. My withdrawal symptoms and cravings for opioids/opiates seem to get worse at night for whatever reason.

I mostly just need kratom for nighttime use so I can sleep through the worst of the withdrawals. My withdrawal symptoms and cravings for opioids/opiates seem to get worse at night for whatever reason.
I got restless legs (more restless body though) from withdrawing from kratom and it is way worse when lying in bed trying to sleep than during the day. Think the body can't relax easily during w/d and this is how it shows it to us. Interestingly are RLS drugs (dopamine agonists) known to relieve opioid withdrawal to some degree while dopamine antagonists (antipsychotics) cause akathisia (restlessness). Never tried dopamine agonists for this purpose though.

I got restless legs (more restless body though) from withdrawing from kratom and it is way worse when lying in bed trying to sleep than during the day. Think the body can't relax easily during w/d and this is how it shows it to us. Interestingly are RLS drugs (dopamine agonists) known to relieve opioid withdrawal to some degree. Never tried them for this purpose though.
The restless legs are THE WORST. I bought 2 boxes of Hyland's Restful Legs and Hyland's Restful Legs PM from Wal-Mart to help with that. I was able to sleep last night thanks to a few of those, some melatonin, a single dose of ZzzQuil, and the half of a blue xanax. Had anyone else heard of those and did it still help as the withdrawal symptoms got worse?

The restless legs are THE WORST. I bought 2 boxes of Hyland's Restful Legs and Hyland's Restful Legs PM from Wal-Mart to help with that.
Just checked the ingredients of Hyland's Restful Legs as I never heard of this product or a RLS preparation which was OTC but found that it's actually a homeopathic formula. Did you know that? They also sold me homeopathics without telling me when I was looking for Kava Kava (before 2000 or so this was commonly used in EU countries against anxiety but withdrawn because some pharm company messed the extract up and people got liver failure).

Glad that it helped you anyways of course.

Just checked the ingredients of Hyland's Restful Legs as I never heard of this product or a RLS preparation which was OTC but found that it's actually a homeopathic formula. Did you know that? They also sold me homeopathics without telling me when I was looking for Kava Kava (before 2000 or so this was commonly used in EU countries against anxiety but withdrawn because some pharm company messed the extract up and people got liver failure).

Glad that it helped you anyways of course.
Yeah. It's technically a homeopathic mixture. I couldn't find anything else for restless legs in the store, but there was another lady buying some too and said its the only thing that helps her when her prescription is running late on being filled (that being said, I assume she was taking it for opiate withdrawal too). I'm not sure if the Restful Legs tablets did the trick or the half of the xanax, but I'm thankful that I was able to sleep. The reviews I've read about were about 50/50. Some said it worked immensely, others think they are placebo.

Last edited:
The restless legs are THE WORST. I bought 2 boxes of Hyland's Restful Legs and Hyland's Restful Legs PM from Wal-Mart to help with that. I was able to sleep last night thanks to a few of those, some melatonin, a single dose of ZzzQuil, and the half of a blue xanax. Had anyone else heard of those and did it still help as the withdrawal symptoms got worse?
I rarely have restless legs during kratom withdrawal,
but I've read quite a good bunch of reviews about dopa mucuna (mucuna pruriens extract) being quite useful for that,
I normally take it during the first 3-5 days of kratom withdrawal, everytime,
never had restless legs, or at least not to the point of being a problem, the insomnia is... the worst, but not for the restless anything, IME

it makes sense that mucuna pruriens would work, basically because it's a dopamine promoter (L-Dopa being the final precursor in the body to create dopamine)...
and it seems that RLS is based on dopamine fuckery/deficiency:

quoting this last paper:

"Therapies with a GUIDELINE level of recommendation include levodopa with dopa decarboxylase inhibitor, opioids, gabapentin enacarbil, and cabergoline (which has additional caveats for use). Therapies with an OPTION level of recommendation include carbamazepine, gabapentin, pregabalin, clonidine, and for patients with low ferritin levels, iron supplementation. "

If using a good brand of mucuna pruriens it seems that a dopa decarboxylase inhibitor is not usually needed, not like the synthetic l-dopa (not sure why, to be honest). Some people uses ECGC as a natural way to make it easier for the dopamine to work on the brain.

All kratom works pretty similarly in the end, but I definitely go for red bali in these cases

Becareful with kratom though, can drag out the withdrawal process and is surprisingly addictive. I think you said you were on 5mg of oxycodone a night? Or something like that? You might consider using the kratom for a very short period of time (like the first 4-5 days) then switch to loperamide.

Since 5mg of oxycodone a night (maybe I'm remembering wrong) is super low, the big challenge won't be the acute phase but staying off in the long term. I still don't know what the cure is for that 🤔

Honestly I couldn't identify strains if you'd give me some blind samples. All have similar effects, just some are stronger and other weaker.
Same here. I have had sleepy pain killing whites and stimulating reds. It is the batch that matters. I mean for continuity I use a white in the AM and red in the PM. But honestly 20 years ago there was Bali and Super Bali, or Thai or Malay in those 3 veins. Now there are a million names.

I do go for reds as there are more of them that are not as stimulating and more relaxing. But any color or name can be that. But I find the ones and use them for nighttime.

All kratom works pretty similarly in the end, but I definitely go for red bali in these cases

Becareful with kratom though, can drag out the withdrawal process and is surprisingly addictive. I think you said you were on 5mg of oxycodone a night? Or something like that? You might consider using the kratom for a very short period of time (like the first 4-5 days) then switch to loperamide.

Since 5mg of oxycodone a night (maybe I'm remembering wrong) is super low, the big challenge won't be the acute phase but staying off in the long term. I still don't know what the cure is for that 🤔
Yeah, I managed to ration myself down to 5mg nightly before taking the leap. As of now, I'm mostly just restless and craving it immensely. I'm wondering if i went any lower by say 2.5mg maybe I'd have no withdrawals at all? I should admit that I took a big dose of morphine at 11:59pm on December 1st though (300mg). What can I say? I wanted to have fun one last time. Right now its at least tolerable despite the cravings and restlessness, but hopefully the withdrawal symptoms aren't just having a delayed effect. I don't want it to get any worse.

Last edited: