• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

What sort of backgrounds do y’all have?

Oh and I guess I’ll add that I’ve always taking a liking to physics since a young age. Been following the trends in the field (mostly molecular type stuff) for many years but the mathematics behind it still goes over my head for the most part :/

I enjoy developing apps with Java and just generally problem solving. What I do day-to-day involves web stuff, I write programs to automate coding. To be honest my passion is music and my job requires 10% of what I'm capable of in CS and so any time I put in extra effort it's like WOWOMG YOU CAN DO THAT?? Basically my job is easy as fuck for me and I have the best job security. Plus I really like the people I work with and I work from home. My boss lets me work from the road and stuff when my band is on the road. Would be amazing to be able to make all my money with music but that's absurdly difficult to do.
Aha I see. That level of flexibility is certainly a gift. Obviously getting paid for music would be better haha but one at least avoids the creative restrictions that can bring with it

as for backgrounds on my computer, my current one (off Hammilton Morris' twitter) is of a centrifugal chromatography run on 6-(2-hydroxyethyl)-nor-LSD from the Roth Lab UNC, one of the places Dave Nichols works. The hood is lit with UV light to show the fluorescence of the ergot alkaloids - you can see the band on the chromatograph being spun off.
Note also in bottom left, the pump for the solvent, and also a TLC plate showing the composition of each fraction.

4nnFJE8.jpg

Very pretty. I wish I could work with ergot alkaloids like that...