• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

What sort of backgrounds do y’all have?

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member
There’s some extremely smart people on this forum and it makes me wonder what sort of education/experience some of you guys have. Personally I’m just a mere undergrad in his first year. Currently majoring in neuroscience but considering switching to pharmacy

Was a computer and science nerd when underage, knew at age 15 what's a Grignard reaction and how to perform it, read Pihkal and Eleusis/Zwitterion at the time, etc... Later, near to 400 ECTS credits in the university (chemistry, physics, math, computer science and so on). No success in much anything in real life because the drug use history I had 15 years ago would alone be too much for the hicks and pricks who inhabit this country.

Wow, that’s an impressive resume. It’s a shame past drug use can limit one's career so much. Luckily I’ve yet to get in trouble with the law and I plan to keep it that way. I’ve been meaning to pick up a copy of PiHKaL for some time now. Any other books you recommend?

Just a high school drop out, GED in 2002, some community college, lots of self study. Learned most of what I do following the first biomimetic synthesis: cocaine, and re writing S. Singh's 1999 cocaine analog paper to Wikipedia as the list of... page.

Barely went to school and was on crack heroin and methadone for nearly 20 years.
Never liked that there lurnin

Wow, that’s an impressive resume. It’s a shame past drug use can limit one's career so much. Luckily I’ve yet to get in trouble with the law and I plan to keep it that way. I’ve been meaning to pick up a copy of PiHKaL for some time now. Any other books you recommend?

The book "Opiates" by Lenz et al. is good, even though I don't recommend opiate use for anyone.

years of autodidacticism, into computers since age 5, hs graduate, dropped out of technical school to do industrial chemistry for 6 years

Love to see all of the self taught people out there. The snobbiness of many of my peers is very disheartening at times. College education seems to instill a false sense of superiority in young people (especially pre meds) I've found

Self-taught computer programming as a teenager, a year or two too early to catch the dot com boom, also musician since age 8... went to school for computer science too. These days I do programming and music. The drug education was entirely self-taught... one might say obsessively self-taught.

I value my bachelor's degree since it qualified me for my job, which is a great job. I almost went to grad school but really glad I didn't.

Most of the things I've learned are not from formal training, either. No one teaches you drug science for you to use it for illegal or quasi-legal purposes. I don't forget most of the stuff I learn, as I calculate math and quantum mechanics problems as a hobby. Just tested today that I can make a quantum monte carlo simulation produce correct results and constructed an artificial crystal lattice model with at least one exactly solvable conduction electron wavefunction, even though I haven't needed that knowledge for over 10 years.

Drop out at 16 after discovering harder drugs, no diplomas. At 17 I became passioned by chemistry and psychopharmacology then grew a hobby for designing chemicals, but I'm reaching the end of the tunnel now. On the proffessional side of things I gave English lessons at school and surfing lessons.Always looked up against my sister who's currently in her fifth year of biological studies and graduating cambridge after being stopped from going to stanford due to an injury. At 18 I turned out to be schizo and underwent a 3 year long Haldol treatment which pushed me into harder use due to loss of egocentric carefullness. Positive side of things is I am well again and living of off family and state funds due to my asserted condition which permits me to live a comfortable life. I'm interested by Dresden's and Sekio's backgrounds tho7gh! ^^

Most of the things I've learned are not from formal training, either. No one teaches you drug science for you to use it for illegal or quasi-legal purposes. I don't forget most of the stuff I learn, as I calculate math and quantum mechanics problems as a hobby. Just tested today that I can make a quantum monte carlo simulation produce correct results and constructed an artificial crystal lattice model with at least one exactly solvable conduction electron wavefunction, even though I haven't needed that knowledge for over 10 years.
Very impressive! You're the kind of guy my grandpa was! :) Developped nuclear reactors and participated in other kinds of science researches (secret defense, he lies about it now but told us when we were younger) for the French state :)

Very impressive! You're the kind of guy my grandpa was! :) Developped nuclear reactors and participated in other kinds of science researches (secret defense, he lies about it now but told us when we were younger) for the French state :)

That's quite cool, nuclear physics isn't a subject I studied much. Any physicist knows that if you pile up enough uranium-235 it will explode by fission, but how to build an actual useful bomb that isn't likely to be a dud and uses the nuclear fuel economically without waste is usually secret information. Then there is also military game theory, where something like the 1950s-1980s Cold War is modelled as a "game" where both parties want to "win" or at least avoid total nuclear destruction. Listened to a few lectures about that from a Spanish professor some years ago, but haven't studied more yet.

Pharmacology and Radiology. I've always been a Huge reader of Biology, anatomy, electronics and mechanics since I was about 12.

I've always been interested in factoids regarding the Human Body/potential and first read the Guinness book of world Records in it's entirety when I was in Grade 2 lol

Reading this site since an early teen, of note being the heavy hitters on this sub-form. Conventional and non-conventional classes on psychobiology and related fields. Evaluating studies once versed in statistics taken early on. Burned into memory through school mostly. Interest in social/natural science. Also early interest in psychology.

Learned what I know through necessity. Barely graduated high school with a 1.0gpa but chemistry fascinated me and I used my free time to learn everything I could on the subject.

Grew my first cannabis plant at 16 and then performed a solvent extraction on the trim and the admiration of my peers was enough for me lol.

Be back more later, the LSD and MD is starting to tickle my senses.

-GC

Self-taught computer programming as a teenager, a year or two too early to catch the dot com boom, also musician since age 8... went to school for computer science too. These days I do programming and music. The drug education was entirely self-taught... one might say obsessively self-taught.

I value my bachelor's degree since it qualified me for my job, which is a great job. I almost went to grad school but really glad I didn't.
Hehe obsessively self studying drugs, I feel that one lol. Is there a specific subfield of CS you find yourself gravitating towards?

I enjoy developing apps with Java and just generally problem solving. What I do day-to-day involves web stuff, I write programs to automate coding. To be honest my passion is music and my job requires 10% of what I'm capable of in CS and so any time I put in extra effort it's like WOWOMG YOU CAN DO THAT?? Basically my job is easy as fuck for me and I have the best job security. Plus I really like the people I work with and I work from home. My boss lets me work from the road and stuff when my band is on the road. Would be amazing to be able to make all my money with music but that's absurdly difficult to do.