• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What should I tell my school to have them allow me financial aid?

Wolfmans_BrothEr

Bluelighter
I was going to put this in the education forum but I figured more people would see it here.

I go to community college and I receive financial aid & student loans through the school. Last semester my GPA got so low tht I am no longer able to receive student loans. However I can write a letter to the counseling department to appeal this decision and explain why my GPA got so low (death in the family, etc). If they like what they read they will allow me to continue to receive loans.

The real reason my GPA dropped was bc I got hooked on heroin and everything else took a back seat, I skipped a bunch of classes and didn't do much work. I'm debating whether or not to tell them the truth that my addiction spiraled out of control yatta yatta yatta, but I feel like that could backfire.

I'm afraid if I tell them the truth about how I was an addict and couldn't keep up with my schoolwork that they'll deny my appeal on the basis that they don't want drug addicts attending their school. I am in recovery despite a few relapses and would make it a point to tell them I'm not actively using

For my first few semesters i was an A-B student in all my classes, and if you were to look at my transcript you would see the further i got into my addiction the more my grades suffered. So what do you think, should I be honest with them and tell them my addiction led to my poor performance, or choose a more socially acceptable reason for failing grades?

Have you spent time speaking with a psychiatrist/psychologist that could vouch for you having suffered a mental illness or the like?

Don't mention the drug addiction. Any drug conviction/mention will automatically disqualify you for any future financial aid.

^^damn u kno now that u mention that I remember reading something about when first filling out my applications for fin aid. Thanks otherwise I would've fucked myself.

Just tried calling my old therapist and his numbers out of service. Guess I'll have to just make some shit up

;) Goodluck.

Edit: What about saying that you were working a lot? Like 40hrs a week to help pay for family money problems?

Last edited:
Have you tried private student loans?

Granted, the school has to certify the loan, but most just have requirements of 1/2 time status & nothing about GPA. Federal aid usually has the GPA requirements.

In my experience, those "you have to write a letter to request an exception" situations with schools are mostly just a check-in-the-box thing. If you write the letter at all and it isn't a total pile of shit, they're going to give you the extension/exception/whatever.

I agree with the others who say you shouldn't mention the drug addiction. Just make up something more generic and unverifiable like family issues, money problems, etc.

Just say that you got really sick and missed a bunch of work. Or you had a serious depression due to some major life event. No need to bring drug use into the picture.

Word thanks for the responses. I'm gonna submit that letter but I think I'm gonna move out of state for a little. I need to get myself right and get away from all the dope and other shit in nj.

Does anyone know about what's gonna happen when I stop going to school? Obviously I'm gonna have to start payin those loans but is there any way to resume classes after a year or something so I won't have to stop paying them? I'm afraid I won't be able to support myself AND pay my loans back, but I don't think I can stay where I'm at and stay sober for long

Word thanks for the responses. I'm gonna submit that letter but I think I'm gonna move out of state for a little. I need to get myself right and get away from all the dope and other shit in nj.

Does anyone know about what's gonna happen when I stop going to school? Obviously I'm gonna have to start payin those loans but is there any way to resume classes after a year or something so I won't have to stop paying them? I'm afraid I won't be able to support myself AND pay my loans back, but I don't think I can stay where I'm at and stay sober for long

Loans are due 6 mo after graduation if you get full deferment. If you take a 1 year break from school, you can apply for in school deferment once you start back up, but you will still be required to make payments. Some lenders let you file for forbearance/hardship but that doesn't always look good credit wise.