• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What religion most reflects your views: Belief-O-Matic Quiz with poll (updated)

Choose your favourite belief or religion

• Agnosticism

Votes: 114 17.0%
  • Atheism

Votes: 124 18.5%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 129 19.3%
  • Christianity

Votes: 74 11.1%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • Judaism

Votes: 15 2.2%
  • Pagan & Earth-Based

Votes: 52 7.8%
  • Taoism

Votes: 47 7.0%
  • Other belief

Votes: 89 13.3%

• Total voters
How cool, because of this thread, I found the site beliefnet.com which I didn't know existed. I did the test and all it could tell me was I was a new ager. I am actually an adherent of the philosophy of Spiritualism and have been for about 20 years since I was 18. I had a look at beliefnet and they didn't have much on Spiritualism which i suppose is why it wasn't an option for a religion and I was assigned new age instead. Anyway, I have always had an interest in spirituality from a very early age, but nothing made too much sense till I discovered Spiritualism, then it all clicked into place.

I'm a Nihilist, and have been ever since i can remember. To me, Nihilism isn't something you chose to become, it isn't a religion or a belief or a way of life. Nihilism just IS. In my experience, it's hugely misunderstood and everyone i've met manages to chalk it up to 'a bad attitude' or a 'negative philosophy'. It's extremely irritating to cop this sort of small-mindedness...*sigh* but what ya gonna do?

Anyone else?

It's tough for me to answer. My favorite belief is my personal interpretation of Christianity, but few other Christians have my same interpretations. Hell, I'm at odds with a lot of them. As far as the way it's generally practiced by it's followers, I'd say that Buddhism is the best. (When was the last time there was a Buddhist crusade?)

anybody who finds himself capable of judging one honest spiritual path over another is a fool and a liar, whether she knows it or not.

its all tarted up politics really, religion is not neccessary and its never done any good (yes I really mean that).

well said ras. religion is an evil tool of corrupted men. spirituality is utterly real. real enough to make us tremble before it. just as the quakers use to tremble before who? (it's GOD!) "the rulers back; don't sleep!"

thassa slick rick quote for all y'all niggaz out there who need to learn a thing or two about hip-hop!

Rasclatt said:
its all tarted up politics really, religion is not neccessary and its never done any good (yes I really mean that).

agreed.

"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people." -Marx

I chose "Other" simply because Catholicism was not an option listed. I do not align myself with Christianity, I see a major schism between the two.

FreshFr0mDet0x said:
anybody who finds himself capable of judging one honest spiritual path over another is a fool and a liar, whether she knows it or not.

That I liked!

zophen

Rasclatt said:

So religious groups that hold food banks don't do any good? How about groups that raise money for disaster relief? Or the ones who sponser impoverished children? Are they not doing any good?

If Buddhism could be more specific , broken down to Zen, and what are the other ? The ones I DO NOT like much ? Mahayana and Hiniyana. then I would vote ZEN, bit Instead I will have to vote ATHEIST. When i was On one of The strongest drugs Ive EVER EVER EVER had (--- "Near Death" )
I saw the light and there was no gerbil running in the wheel , okay ?

IAmJacksUserName said:
So religious groups that hold food banks don't do any good? How about groups that raise money for disaster relief? Or the ones who sponser impoverished children? Are they not doing any good?

That is the people that are doing good not the religion they represent.
There are lots of people doing good who have no beleifs, if these people working for religious charities were not religious they would be doing exactly the same thing, except maybe some of them wouldnt be trying to destroy tribal beliefs and cultures becuase they have been brain washed to think that what they are doing is 'right'.

Rasclatt said:
That is the people that are doing good not the religion they represent.
There are lots of people doing good who have no beleifs, if these people working for religious charities were not religious they would be doing exactly the same thing, except maybe some of them wouldnt be trying to destroy tribal beliefs and cultures becuase they have been brain washed to think that what they are doing is 'right'.

Charity workers aren't necessarly missionaries. I've volenteered for five years at a soup kitchen with a Christian group, and no one has said a goddamned word about religion to the people we serve.

Ever hear of the Christian Peacemakers Team? (www.cpt.org) They're a group in Iraq right now working as peace activists against the occupation. Why? Because they believe that war is sacriligious. When a few of their members were kidnapped in November, thousands of Muslims advocated their release because of the help they've given, despite the fact they were Christian. They even founded a Muslim Peace Team.

IAmJacksUserName said:
Charity workers aren't necessarly missionaries. I've volenteered for five years at a soup kitchen with a Christian group, and no one has said a goddamned word about religion to the people we serve.

Ever hear of the Christian Peacemakers Team? (www.cpt.org) They're a group in Iraq right now working as peace activists against the occupation. Why? Because they believe that war is sacriligious. When a few of their members were kidnapped in November, thousands of Muslims advocated their release because of the help they've given, despite the fact they were Christian. They even founded a Muslim Peace Team.

I know that chairty workers arn't always missionaries.

Im saying that many people go out and help and do charity work without any belief or involvement with religion becuase thats what they feel they need to do, there are many chairty orgnaizations that arn't related to any religion. Therefore religion hasn't actually made any difference on people doing good, if it didnt exist the same people would of gone out and done it anyway.

All religion has done is create huge fan base's reinforcing peoples beliefs so strongly that all logic and reason is non-existant, resulting in people who could be good people blindly doing mindless acts to atrocities because what they think is 'right'.

??? what the....
where is science and shamanism

my belief came through the use of entheogen
and my religion is music
funny but im serious !