• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What really pisses you off when you're having a debate/argument?

When you tell the truth, it’s supported by facts, yet the person you’re arguing with continues to believe lies and falsehoods.

I have been trying to defend myself by telling the truth to certain people in my life but they refuse to accept reality and continue to hold an incredibly distorted view of “who I am”.

Once someone believes something to be true it can be impossible to get them to admit their wrong.

When you tell the truth, it’s supported by facts, yet the person you’re arguing with continues to believe lies and falsehoods.

I have been trying to defend myself by telling the truth to certain people in my life but they refuse to accept reality and continue to hold an incredibly distorted view of “who I am”.

Once someone believes something to be true it can be impossible to get them to admit their wrong.

truth doesn't have a psychical solution because it's an entity of its own, in regards to being a solution without entity means a over exggerated version of truth, the so called lie. I'd suggest you to stop reading any form of "spiritual books", at least that's what I'd do // because they promote religion in what should be, basic human dialogue. Is covered by what's called "intrusion of visual fragments".

Isn't complicated. When arguments starts to become a house or a building, that's when you know is no need for a "roof" because if you don't know two times or even 3 that specific human personality you're trying to talk/type to then you'll run into not toxicity but gloomness of cynism.

My biggest pet peeve when I am having a debate or argument is when someone talks over me. My friend does this a lot we are both Aries and he is a loud man and will just drown me out and I have to lose it on him to make him let me have my turn to prove that he wrong 😁

say ya call internet provider cause there are connection issues and the person says ya aint paid the bill for 6 months (or whatever) but you know it get debited automatically monthly and shows paid in bank statements. You try to explain this snafu and its "thats what the screen says" plz for the love of god let me speak to billing or something
i do not love calling CS anytime for any reason its 90% of time a pita

My biggest pet peeve when I am having a debate or argument is when someone talks over me. My friend does this a lot we are both Aries and he is a loud man and will just drown me out and I have to lose it on him to make him let me have my turn to prove that he wrong 😁

New Yorkers... :Sherlock:

when ya givin yer cat a bath and someone is trying to talk through the door at ya! wtf?!?!?!?! do you not know the deadly situ i am in gotdammit?!?!?!?!
all the time in the world before and i gave plenty heads up but nope... soon as i start with the soap. :flame:
fuckin underminig guerrilla warfare bs

being treated like i'm an idiot.

and i interpret being lied to in an easily detectable way- such as contradicting themselves or saying things that can be fact checked in seconds- as being treated like an idiot. at least put some effort into your deception if you're gonna do it.

also, not being able to concede to being wrong about anything. it really shows the gulf between research scientists (i.e. my colleagues and most of my friends) and 'normal people'- we happily tear each other's arguments to shreds cos we're trained to know there is a vanishingly small chance of being correct and to be constants skeptical of your own work and other peoples, its useful to be told you're wrong cos it avoids wasting time on that mistake. 'normal people' take offense when none is meant. its not a personal slight to comment on the veracity of someone's statements.

being treated like i'm an idiot.

and i interpret being lied to in an easily detectable way- such as contradicting themselves or saying things that can be fact checked in seconds- as being treated like an idiot. at least put some effort into your deception if you're gonna do it.

also, not being able to concede to being wrong about anything. it really shows the gulf between research scientists (i.e. my colleagues and most of my friends) and 'normal people'- we happily tear each other's arguments to shreds cos we're trained to know there is a vanishingly small chance of being correct and to be constants skeptical of your own work and other peoples, its useful to be told you're wrong cos it avoids wasting time on that mistake. 'normal people' take offense when none is meant. its not a personal slight to comment on the veracity of someone's statements.

Unfortunately this behavior isn’t relegated to the “normies,” I’ve seen what should be people who can take such criticism get very emotional over any perceived questioning of their ideas. I know exactly what you mean though and hope to one day find these supposed people who can handle it and not take it as a personal insult.

-GC

The absolute worst thing in the world is when you are clearly and demonstrably correct, like when I once had an argument with a friend about how I said I doubted there were very many transgender disabled lawyers around and he said he was one. I was stunned, because him identifying with a disablity was pretty new and I new what was going on in his life but was shocked that he would apply that label to it. But I asked anyway and said 'how are you disabled' and he just goes 'i have depression' and I just sighed because this guy had been diagnosed with mild depression not two weeks prior and he was so unaffected by it in reality he didn't even tell his boss at a busy law firm to get accomodations, he still goes to the gym every night, enjoys his hobbies and his social life. Just thinks the world is going to shit and sometimes wants to drink on weeknights.

And like he said that to a guy who has cPTSD, bipolar 1 with psychosis, level 3 autism, ADHD, and narcolepsy. I don't get to just shed the disabled label when my condition is all better like his might be in 6 months. I'm stuck with it and I'm stuck with the negative aspects of it, like the stigma, the impact it has on my finances (when his car got stolen he just used $7,000 savings to buy a new one that same week. I had to wait weeks to have a low income start up loan approved and borrow money from abusive family because I have no savings, at some points last year my meds cost $400 q month, in Australia. I'm actually so financial impacted by my medical and disability costs my parents elect to pay for most of it to try and even things up between me and my brother and I get government funding to pay for disabilty therapy and support). He doesn't get the fact that friends ditch you over an uncontrollable mood disorder they've known you have since you met them, which they promised they would never use against you as long as you took your meds (which I did). He didn't watch all of his law student friends graduate, finish placement, get admitted to the supreme court, and get their first jobs at the same time you were meant to be doing that while instead you're surviving off disability payments. He doesn't have a situation where he accepts that he will never have a serious long term romantic partner because of being way too autistic and potential candidates go from thinking he's weird and awkward and that's cute to understanding he is actually developmentally delayed, inept, and it's more work than it's worth. Plus disclosing a history of childhood abuse is not an enticing task. It took me 5-10 years to disclose to my closest friends and no potential partner would wait that long. He didn't get called retarded by parents at his soccer club growing up cause he didn't talk.

Like yes, depression can be a disability, if it's Major Depressive Disorder or chronic treatment resistant depression.

But like dude, don't fucking shoehorn the label of a disadvantaged group on to yourself just to prove a point. I'm trans, significantly disabled, and I may not ever be able to practice as a lawyer. Like most disabled trans people I do sex work. He has never nor will ever be in that unfortunate position.

I mean, this guy once told me I shouldn't tell my support work clients I mentors parents I have bipolar, for *reasons* and was super condescensing about it.

Okay man, here's the thing. All my clients families are super chill about it. They'll give me 2 straight weeks off work for an episode if I ask then and there. Plus unlike you, I have physical signs of my mental illness with self harm scars, so frankly all of the families know as soon as it's summer and I wear a t shirt that I am very mentally unwell.

Just because you are so mildly impacted from your mental health that you have no need to tell your boss, that doesn't mean that I did the wrong thing. I work in disability support, it's basically the most accomodating area.

I honestly barely even bothered. I figured if be was willing to diminish my experiences like that and claim to experience the same level of disadvantage just to win an arguement he wouldn't back down.

I really dislike any kind of organised debate and I'm dubious about the value of arguing about things in public to change people's minds, at best you can hope to be one of the 50 pieces that finally made them change their mind on something and we all tell ourselves "Well no, I'm not going to change the mind of the person I'm arguing with but here on this public forum how many third parties might I be persuading?!" except for people reading it second hand the same metrics apply - at best you might find the unicorn, someone who has never thought about this before and this thread or reply is the first time they're learning about this argument so you get to be the one to present it to them and while incredibly rare we have a fair amount of evidence this can actually be persuasive unlike so many other scenarios - but you think about it a bit longer and you realise this is even more depressing, you finally might change someones mind in one argument just from your post... and if it was any other post written by anyone else it would receive all the same benefits, this super rare unicorn that has never heard about this issue and has no preconceived bias on it would be persuaded by anyone who can present a point even half-decently. It could just as easily have been someone saying the exact opposite of you. The rest of the time it's worse than that, nearly everyone knows who they agree with before they open the thread or watch the stream or overhear you screaming at a stranger on the street.

What I'm saying is all of it pisses me off but I can't help myself as it's a vice I have, I knew cigarettes were fucking stupid before I started smoking them but I still did it for 21 years.

I've long since accepted that people are delusional in part or sometimes totally, and that they will rarely publicly acquiesce to good information. I don't debate online in order to "win." There is no real winning... you just spit your personal energy into a vacuum and you'll never get it back. I write to refine my own ideas and if other people benefit, then great. Besides that, I mostly like chiming in on threads where there is false consensus and circle jerking, so that viewers know that not everyone agrees with this crap. I know for a fact that most people will privately consider the things I've said, even if they're angry about it, and I don't care if they ever acknowledge it. That's the main reason why I go to such lengths to post reliable information.

What I can't stand is when I put in time and energy into responding at length to someone, sometimes writing several paragraphs, only for them throw back one or two weak-sauce sentences based on ONE thing I said, and then claim I'm wholly wrong. It's some version of the fallacy of composition, except not exactly because they don't even bother tearing into everything else I said. I consider it disrespectful when someone takes their time to write A LOT to you and you not only can't even be bothered to read it, but you've cherry picked it for some kind of "gotcha!" moment. I usually blacklist these people from conversing with me ever again.

When I discover that the other person have a determined dogma about something, that normally s/he doesn't realize so then I understand that no matter what I tell to her/him, it's just not going to work because s/he is going to be completely closed to that perspective....

words spoken that has no cotent and presented as if it is the words of the gods.
please... turn off all the social media bs ya focused on and bring something to the table with substance hopefully of novel/original content.
"but thats what they say" mf bs

My biggest gripe?
The final statement: "Well, that's just the way I was raised." ...usually in defense of a racist/sexist/homophobic/xenophobic or otherwise idiotic stance.

So what you're saying is that you are incapable of thinking in any way beyond that of a small child. You are proudly clinging to your inability to learn or grow at all.

When the other person absolutely refuses to accept my apology or explanation, no matter how honest and sincere I am. That's the main reason that my last girlfriend and I broke up, because she insisted to be right even when she was dead wrong.

is you work as a freelancer tehnician or what exactly?
Sorry shady i did not answer your query: I do work as a freelance tech and have for a couple decades. Seems everything I do is freelance as most orgs are for the birds, imo.

OT:
Anytime a mf "swears" they will do something as it instantly indicates (to me) they are lying and full of shit.
Or "you can trust me".... :rolleyes: