• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

What psych ward docs may not know about nitrous

AlphaMethylPhenyl

Moderator: TDS
Staff member
A good friend of mine has a nitrous habit. He's had it for quite some time, so he knows that it means that during periods where he's using a lot, he needs extra vitamin B-12. It took him a while to learn that he not only needed B-12 supplements, but that they needed to be sublingual or by injection, so he had a couple of bouts with what B-12 deficiencies can lead to: paranoid psychosis.
He had several psychotic breaks and was hospitalized a couple times without knowing precisely how the nitrous was causing them. It was clear that it was the drug, but the timing was peculiar because he wouldn't start getting strange ideas until a few days after he had last used the nitrous. During neither of the early hospital stays did any of his doctors, who knew of the nitrous use, suggest testing for or treating a vitamin deficiency -- they just fed him antipsychotics and waited for him to improve.

A few years passed and he had been off the nitrous for a while when he saw a relevant episode of the television show, House. Episode 3x14, "Insensitive," involves a patient who suffers from paranoid psychosis when a tape worm eats her B-12, and while watching it, a few things clicked for him. He told me about his new theory that a B-12 deficiency was responsible for his psychoses.

I did some digging on the web and found articles confirming his theory. It seems that nitrous oxide oxidizes a cobalamine precursor to B-12 (biochem geeks jump in here if I've got this jumbled), causing a B-12 deficiency in either people -- such as some vegetarians -- who may be prone to B-12 deficiency anyway, who then get nitrous during dental work, or in people who use nitrous both frequently and in quantity.

I can Google for "nitrous oxide cobalamine" and get lots of relevant hits, so this is not a secret, but the doctors missed it twice in two different hospitals in 2005, and they missed it again a couple weeks ago until I told them. My friend got reinvolved in nitrous and forgot to take enough of it sublingually, so he had another psychotic break and found himself in another psych ward. When I got to meet his doctor, I asked if he had been given any B-12 since he'd been admitted, and the doctor said that no, the psychosis was a result of anoxia, not B-12 depletion. I pressed, telling him I'd found confirmation on the web, and asked him to at least look into it and test my friend's B-12 levels.

Impressively, the doctor did as I asked, checked my theory in medical journals despite his skepticism, confirmed what I had told him, and ordered a blood test for my friend's B-12 levels and an injection of B-12. A little over a day later, my friend was mostly back to normal. The doctor asked me if he had ever been treated with B-12 previously and seemed tickled that he'd learned something from a patient's friends and family.

The doctor even spoke of writing a paper about the connection between B-12 deficiency and nitrous oxide, and I hope he does. A lot of people could be helped if more doctors knew to look at B-12 levels in people known to be using large quantities of nitrous oxide. My friend offered to help him with any details he might want to include. I hope they get this message out.

http://www.dosenation.com/listing.php?id=5149

I thought this was common knowledge that nitrous caused depletion of B-12? My last psychiatrist who knew my drug use history knew about it and told me to take B-12 supplements when i was doing nitrous to avoid B-12 deficiency. I already take a B-12 and B-6 vitamin on top of the multivitamin i take everyday because multivitamins don't have enough B vitamins in them. So i had no concern about that.

My mom and grandma suffer from a condition where their stomachs won't absorb B-12 so they have to get it by injection. My moms doctor is a complete moron and is totally negligent as he has refused many times to give her B-12 injections despite obvious signs of b-12 depletion. She got so bad one time after months of no B-12 injections that she was constantly getting electric type shocks down her arms and legs and was so fatigued that she would fall asleep in her chair without any warning. Why her cunt of a doctor refused to give her B-12 injections is beyond me i mean it's not like she was asking for a injection of fentanyl ffs :X . She had nerve damage that lasted for months after she finally got B-12 injections and if that is not negligence i don't know what is.

None of the people i know developed any psychotic symptoms though. Major depressive symptoms and severe fatigue yes but no psychosis. The only person i know who developed any psychotic symptoms due to B-12 deficiency was due to sleep deprivation because of severe restless leg syndrome. As soon as he managed to get some sleep on nitrazepam i believe his symptoms went away. It was after that episode that his wife basically forced him to go to the doctor and he finally found out what was causing his problems.

Impressively, the doctor did as I asked, checked my theory in medical journals despite his skepticism, confirmed what I had told him, and ordered a blood test for my friend's B-12 levels and an injection of B-12. A little over a day later, my friend was mostly back to normal. The doctor asked me if he had ever been treated with B-12 previously and seemed tickled that he'd learned something from a patient's friends and family.

http://www.dosenation.com/listing.php?id=5149

Jesus! That's about the coolest doctor I ever heard of!

I recently heard of a doctor who prescribed Clonzepam for a friend of mine recently diagnosed with RLS (Restless Limb Syndrome) but insisted my friend take a week off the drug once every 4 to 6 weeks. I never heard of a doctor helpng his patient avoid habituation before!

I might have to stop hating doctors as much. Nah!

edit- Lol I just read the bit about RLS in the post above mine... Coincidence! I had not seen that when I posted the above Haha! Sorry to read the rest of the post though!