• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What makes you tick?

I’m in my 50’s doing a PhD in sociology with an interesting research question about culture and society that has bugged me for years. I use ethnography meaning I have to go live with a different community/culture than my own.

Actually committing to exploring and answering the question has given my life purpose and meaning it never had through my previous careers. It’s the first thing I’ve done in life that I feel could not just walk away from and never look back (as was the case with most relationships, jobs, hobbies, enthusiasms and other interests). I will be devasted if I don’t answer the question and complete the program.

Playing music, 100%. I'm in 2 bands and it's the best thing in the world. I also get a lot of fascination from psychedelics, collecting them, exploring them, reading about them, studying their similarities and differences, learning how they work and in so doing, learning about how the brain works. Besides those things, also friendship, I am blessed with a lot of close friendships, which really enrich my life.

The sublimation of sexual energy.
In a parallel way, the conscious or unconscious drives, which produce so much individual suffering and social disturbance, can become, if rightly controlled and channelled, the springs of activities having great human and spiritual value.
67337063ce3959a24b57002fbb5c57d5.jpg

Apart from nature (scenery etc) and music. Doing something nice for someone, seeing people doing nice things for others. Strength and perseverance in people who have had it tough.

Have you listened to the podcast S-town? Horologists are very interesting people, and this guy may top them all.
No, but I've just looked at it. Might be interesting :)
I'll listen to it before sleep.

I'm defo not a Horologist, those are the Jedi of the clock world.
I'm more of a frequency nut, this is likely due to my Aspergers.
I'm obsessed with frequency. Clocks, heart beats, drums, music in general.
I get a strong feeling of euphoria from a frequency of exactly 1 or 2 Hertz, 2Hz being my favourite cuz it's catchy af.
.5 Hz and 3 Hz do it too, but not as strong.

But yeah I love clocks & watches, the ticking calms me down, it's a beautiful element to have around :)
My sis & her fiancée moved back into the house she & I grew up in, about 2 years ago,
and it genuinely spooked me that there was no ticking clock, because I was used to there being a clock in the living room in my childhood. O also the digital clock on their oven was wrong *insert unintelligible profanity*
Took me hours to feel comfortable :D being me can get a little annoying