⫸STICKY⫷ What makes you complete an online survey for research?

I've been modding this forum for a bit now and I've noticed that some online surveys are much more popular than others. For example, the drugs and personality one is working out particularly well, with BL'ers praising it as per below:

As a researcher who conducted online surveys myself, I'm wondering if people can tell me why they like this survey or why they chose to complete it. --- or alternatively, why they started a survey and then left it incomplete... or why they decided never to attempt a survey in the first place.

Eg. is it because of the topic, whether it was interesting to you? because of the tone of writing or the questions? how it was presented? how long it was taking to complete it? the sponsors? or something completely different to that?

Universally, researchers who want to recruit people to their surveys think about how to best attract them and I think it's important to be able to learn from both the good and the bad attempts :)

Fire away folks!
One that was posted here a while ago I tried my best to finish but it was so damn long and specific, like any one of my initial answers could open up an endless corridor of followup questions and I ended up working on this thing, saving, and coming back to it several times over a few days and it was just ridiculously tedious and time consuming. I got about halfway through I guess and never completed it... too much.

One that was posted here a while ago I tried my best to finish but it was so damn long and specific, like any one of my initial answers could open up an endless corridor of followup questions and I ended up working on this thing, saving, and coming back to it several times over a few days and it was just ridiculously tedious and time consuming. I got about halfway through I guess and never completed it... too much.
Thanks for this feedback. I think surveys that are too long and complicated is one of the main problems with web surveys. Keeping it short and simple helps a lot.

Partly as an attempt to get methoxetamine (my baby, created in 2010), to achieve the possibility of it having clinical use. As well as it being an effective dissociative anaesthetic for pain treatment (phantom limb pain, in my case), a literature search I was completing (which ground to a halt, with my wife's death), indicates it could be a gold standard for treatment resistant depression (it is a full NMDA antagonist, like ketamine, but also an SSRI). I have had numerous personal communications stating that mxe worked to relieve depression where noting else worked.
It is partially ego driven, but is mostly because I was utterly honest in m desire to leave this world a better place I was born into: relieving god knows how many people of the hideous effect of intractable depression, seems to fit that desire I told my wife.
Having suffered depression myself, freeing the world from such, because of a drug I designed, would let me die happy man.

I fill out surveys and participate in research studies about Gulf War Illness because I have been dx'd with it, and everything I can contribute that may facilitate treatment modalities and acceptance of the existence of the disorder.

And what type of institutions would put you off or would attract you to do a survey?

(I think I have an idea but don't want to assume)
as i'm a veteran with war related illnesses, i participate in government research monthly or more. It doesn't bother me. The VA knows what i do; I'm on lots of rx meds, and have to watch for seratonin syndrome especially.