• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What is your opinion on plastic surgery?

It's extremely personal to the point that it's almost not worthy of discussion. It just brings up comments like above where someone broadly accuses anyone who does it to be fake. If someone wants to commit to an artificial way of modifying their body, it is their choice. I am definitely biased, I had my boobs done after nursing for a year and them turning into ugly flappy little sacks of skin. But I did it for me, my boyfriend (now husband of 13 years) was extremely opposed. He didn't understand that it had nothing to do with him. And I think that's the crux, it's who it's done for. If only to please yourself, it can be a healthy act. That being said, I do slightly question it in my own head when you consider any minor surgery can come with complications. I don't think I'd ever do it again, if it requires going under a knife or using anesthesia. but I would do non invasive modifications that are minimal risk like a peel or even Botox

As I mentioned above, IMO there are valid reasons to do it even for cosmetic purposes, and it wouldn't make you plastic. Having a big hairy mole growing on your nose would make most people miserable - even though that mole wouldn't affect your health, having it removed would be reasonable and not frivolous. You didn't do it to increase the size. Maybe you felt something was horribly wrong with them - having children can do bad things to a woman's figure. Maybe you felt like they looked like something out of National Geographic and that was ruining your sex life or quality of life. I know somebody who got breast reduction surgery because hers were very large, to the point where many activities like jogging were painful and damaging. That's a quality of life issue.

darthmom said:
It's extremely personal to the point that it's almost not worthy of discussion. It just brings up comments like above where someone broadly accuses anyone who does it to be fake. If someone wants to commit to an artificial way of modifying their body, it is their choice. I am definitely biased, I had my boobs done after nursing for a year and them turning into ugly flappy little sacks of skin. But I did it for me, my boyfriend (now husband of 13 years) was extremely opposed. He didn't understand that it had nothing to do with him. And I think that's the crux, it's who it's done for. If only to please yourself, it can be a healthy act. That being said, I do slightly question it in my own head when you consider any minor surgery can come with complications. I don't think I'd ever do it again, if it requires going under a knife or using anesthesia. but I would do non invasive modifications that are minimal risk like a peel or even Botox

Last edited:
Yeah, but you still have your own acceptable parameters as though your paradigm is the one that should be worked with. My point is that unless it's your body you have no say. Obviously we all have our own opinions but as I initially said, conversations like this tend to do more in the way of judgement and ego, and not understanding. Not all the time, but most

Yeah, but you still have your own acceptable parameters as though your paradigm is the one that should be worked with. My point is that unless it's your body you have no say. Obviously we all have our own opinions but as I initially said, conversations like this tend to do more in the way of judgement and ego, and not understanding. Not all the time, but most

OK then. I think my opinion is more extreme than anybody else who posted in this thread, and I admit to being judgemental. But it's for a reason. I think the world would be a better place if everybody followed my advice, but people will do what they want anyway.

Personally I'd never do it as I'm happy with my body, although it is not perfect. But if others want to do it then its fine as long as they have a good sense of self worth that isn't placed on appearance.

I agree with nutty's statement about plastic surgeons taking advantage of people with BDD.