• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What is your favourite herb for food (no drugs please)

LifeIsStrange

Bluelighter
Hello Bluelighters,

while I was cooking ATM, I was thinking about my favorite herb. I mean a herb you can always eat. The smell, the taste - yummy. So mine it is:

dill [Anethum graveolens]

I love this herb since my childhood. I can even eat it without anything else. I put it in nearly in every meal I cook for myself.

So what is yours?

Oh yes basil is my second beloved one, after that parsley [Petroselinum crispum]. Yummy :)

Basil would have to be my favourite!

Oregano would be second :)

I dunno if I have a favorite they're all for their own contexts I guess but I particularly like cilantro, as in this chicken recipe which is not exactly the same as my own but a variant that I am going to have to try out for sure.

i agree with skl - it's very application specific for me.

for example, i think dill works well with fish - especially salmon.

generally speaking, i love thyme. it works really well in soups and stews. mushrooms sauteed with thyme pair well with lots of chicken dishes.

alasdair

rosemary and thyme is an awesome flavour combo for chicken, i also like parsley with eggs and lately i've been putting dill in turkey sandwiches with horseradish and it gives it a nice zing

cardamom - i like how it's almost spicy and almost sweet. i add it to jasmine rice and coffee.

I love the taste but there's nothing really like it. It's almost "cool" like Anise, but with a spice twist, not hot.

but a dash will do ya....

Thyme...i have an herb garden. I just love how fragrant it is. If your making chicken soup for someone....bam....thyme~

If garlic were a herb..

I'm going to go with mint. Don't use it that often, but when I do I spend a long time just sniffing the leaves. Such a beautiful smell.

cardamom - i like how it's almost spicy and almost sweet. i add it to jasmine rice and coffee.

but a dash will do ya....

I actually just sprouted two cardamon plants!!! I am looking forward to experimentation. I guess it would be like getting a new whip for someone in the BDSM scene...cos I am in the gardening scene.

I love sage. I love it in squash soups and with potatoes. I love it with chicken and I love to burn it for the aromatic smoke. I have both culinary sage and white sage growing in my garden. The white sage is new and I have no idea how it will like my seaside climate but I've got my fingers crossed.

It all really depends what I'm making but as some of you said already cilantro

Hello Bluelighters,

while I was cooking ATM, I was thinking about my favorite herb. I mean a herb you can always eat. The smell, the taste - yummy. So mine it is:

dill [Anethum graveolens]

I love this herb since my childhood. I can even eat it without anything else. I put it in nearly in every meal I cook for myself.

So what is yours?

I cook loads. I find it a process that I use to replace the ritual of drugs.
I recommend anyone who gets stressed should try cooking.
My fave herb depends but I like mustard seeds and a dry toasted mix of chilli powder , garam Masala, cumin, coriander and turmeric and mixed in to chopped onion and garlic (after garlic and onions are cooked and softened for five to ten minutes ) and you get a great base. For dishes.