• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What is your favorite kind of tree?

Its hard to pick one favorite tree. Most of them have already been mentioned. I was mesmerized looking at a stand of 40 ft. tall birch trees in the yard last autumn. The leafs would just shimmer in the sunlight when the wind rustled them, so relaxing. Hard to find a picture of that though.

Birch%20Trees.jpg

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned giant redwood trees, so I will. :)

Massive

RedwoodTree.jpg

Roots_rCCx.jpg

General Sherman [possibly the most famous tree in the US]
general-sherman-tree22.jpg

peace.
seedless

I like the cacao tree. It is homely, but it yields wonderful fruit and seeds.

For practical purposes, I love the ylang-ylang tree. The fragrance fills the nighttime air and makes walks in the garden very pleasant.

The Japanese Maple is very impressive, never seen them before. I've always loved Cherry Blossoms and Redwoods/Sequoia's have a special place in my mind....

This looks amazing too:
bodhitree.jpg

I was mesmerized looking at a stand of 40 ft. tall birch trees in the yard last autumn. The leafs would just shimmer in the sunlight when the wind rustled them, so relaxing. Hard to find a picture of that though.

I know what you mean, there is a beech wood not far from me & its beautiful all seasons of the year.

catalpa:
Catalpa%20bignonioides%20Nana.jpg

but also (even more common, but not less beautiful) acer rubrum:
Acer_rubrum%23808%23_400.jpg

Tough question.

Moreton bay fig or Banyan tree maybe?

I really like the Australian Snow Gum.

There are others but the names allude me just now. :)

The boabab tree. I love trees of all sorts...but it looks so exotic to me. I can't wait to visit Madagascar.

bilbaotree.jpg

bilbaotree2.jpg

AspenGrove.jpg

Aspens. Not only are the fall colors badass, but the leaves are on flat stems (as opposed to round/square like most trees) so when the wind blows through them, they shake and make noise....very cool.

The Oak is my favourite tree, hands down. I have a lot of love for a whole bunch of trees, but the Oak just has something about it. The age they can achieve is truly impressive; they're great to climb and amazing to look at. Plus acorns are damn cool, and can even be used as a coffee substitute.

NSFW:
800px-Angel_Oak_Tree_in_SC.jpg

I also really like Scots Pine, Pinus sylvestris. They look amazing as a silhouette

NSFW:
Pinus_sylvestris_Glenmuick.jpg

Some of my other faves are Silver Birches and Chestnuts.

The Oak is my favourite tree, hands down.
I also really like Scots Pine, Pinus sylvestris. They look amazing as a silhouette

Some of my other faves are Silver Birches and Chestnuts.

You have great taste in trees. I'd love to bonzai an oak or a Scots pine. I have an oak sapling I grew from an acorn, its only about 2 foot high, I should look into it. My old next door neighbour who was about 80 had a bonzai Horse Chestnut, he and his son pulled the sapling out of a wall where it had started growing when his son was small, he's about 60 now. He'd be a good one to ask. <3 native British trees.

Funny, my mother and I were talking about this yesterday............
I couldn't choose a favorite.
I love Aspen's and Birch trees- I love Evergreens, like Douglass Firs and Pines. I love fruit trees and Willow trees.......Oak trees and Maple trees............
I just LOVE trees.
No way could I choose a favorite:)

I just thought I would mention that if you join the Arbor Day foundation http://www.arborday.org , they will send you 10 trees suited to the area where you live during the proper season. A truly excellent investment for ten bucks.

You all are making this thread great. Very notable choices.

Fresh air and immense beauty. Trees are wonderful.

My favourite tree in Brisbane is the "Crying Tree" in ANZAC Square that always seems to need a hug.
cryingtree.jpg

I love so many different types of trees. Right now my favorite is probably Beech trees, because of the 200+ year old one which "guards" the road to our house. But after looking through this thread I think I'm in love with the Boababs. And I second the desire to visit Madagascar. :D

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned giant redwood trees, so I will. :)

There was a picture of a Giant redwood post #17

LnF said:
Moreton bay fig or Banyan tree maybe?

They are virtually the same tree, there would be dozens of species of these Ficus that are very similar :)

Wollemi Pine:
Wollemi_Pine_640x480.jpg
This looks like King Billy, the biggest one of the wild stand.... It's actually location is secret :)

I can't pick one, no way. Similarly it might reflect current obsessions/enthusiasms. It's worth a mention that Australia has a Boabab species too, in NW Western Australia...

Linky

Am I allowed to mention which trees are weeds across the world that have been mentioned? :)