• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

What is wrong with the MDMA available today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
after a little research i've now come to the conclusion that this subject is alot more important AND controversial than i first thought, and as such, this will probably be one of my last replies on it...it seems that america was one of the first producers of sassafras essential oil, anyone interested should look up a publication called chemical age, they produced a paper about sass in 1921, and another publication, american druggist and pharmeceutical record also put something out related to the subject and it was from, like, 1896. i believe that the majority of mdma has been produced in europe, more specifically holland but they have an abscence of a natural source of precoursors and have been dependent on the importation of said substances...it is a known fact that the powers that be have been clamping down on all the natural sources of sass and now the bulk of precoursours are coming out of china, and they have already clamped down on the production of research chemicals and i believe the natural course of things will be that they clamp down on the production of said subtances as well and when they due the face of ecstacy, its availability, and its production will be drastically changed....i will leave this thread with a couple final thoughts....one, in america drugs are easy to use, easy to buy, easy to sell, but they are not easy to make. Two, i still have the gut feeling that if someone puts their heart and soul in an endeavor it will always show in the end result (one tree one batch now how does that sound for a signature series...personally, if i buy a rolex i want a rolex not a rollax) , one can only hope that someone, somewhere will be able to pick up the slack of these european manafactures and their ability to feed the appetite of all of us out here because mdma is a very special substance and it will always hold a very special place in my heart and it would be a shame to see it go the way of the dodo or become so hard to obtain that it becomes something that very, very few people are able to experience, it changed my life and hope it will always be here to change others as well.

Last edited:
after a little research i've now come to the conclusion that this subject is alot more important AND controversial than i first thought, and as such, this will probably be one of my last replies on it...it seems that america was one of the first producers of sassafras essential oil, anyone interested should look up a publication called chemical age, they produced a paper about sass in 1921, and another publication, american druggist and pharmeceutical record also put something out related to the subject and it was from, like, 1896. i believe that the majority of mdma has been produced in europe, more specifically holland but they have an abscence of a natural source of precoursors and have been dependent on the importation of said substances...it is a known fact that the powers that be have been clamping down on all the natural sources of sass and now the bulk of precoursours are coming out of china,

Unfortunately you are ignorant of basic chemistry.

Sassafrass is used to make safrole and then isosafrole;

Isosafrole can be converted to piperonal or MDP2P -- which is chemically identical to PMK (want to know why? because PMK comes from piperonal)

Now MDP2P/PMK is the basis for synthesis of MDA and MDMA.

I think the misconception that somehow MDP2P/PMK or piperonal(yes I know piperonal is not PMK) comes into play when you talk about artificial flavor -- like vanilla

Now, natural vanilla flavor has umpteen different trace compounds that give vanilla it's distinctive flavor --vanillin, acetaldehyde, acetic acid, furfural, hexanoic acid, 4-hydroxybenzaldehyde, eugenol, methyl cinnamate, and isobutyric acid to name a few (and you can actually make lots of fun things with them -- including piperonal from vanillin -- see how that works)

yes you can actually use artificial vanilla as a starting point for MDA/MDMA synthesis

But vanillin is the main one. Guess what? vanillin from a vanillapod, and vanillin synthesized from lignin, eugenol, or guaiacol -- are chemically identical

Which begs the question: If we want chemically pure drugs, why would we ever think sassafras as a precursor was somehow better than a purely synthesized chemical??

MDP2P from Isosafrole and PMK (piperonal methyl ketone) from piperonal -- are chemically identical -- all those trace chemicals -- we don't want them and do our best to get rid of them

Furthermore to get PMK-glycidate, you have to create the glycidic ester by performing Darzens condensation on PMK (MDP2P)

To get MDP2P -- you perform decarboxylation and hydrolysis -- and you end back up with PMK(MDP2P)

Regardless of whether you get to MDP2P(PMK) from sassafras oil, safrole, isosafrole, eugenol, vanillin, piperonal, or PMK-glycidate -- you end up at the same place MDP2P(PMK) that is chemically the same

If you are doing good chemistry you have been filtering, washing, decanting, condensing, separating .... to get the most chemically pure reaction product

AT EVERY STEP OF YOUR SYNTHESIS

One of the main reasons to do this is because secondary, tertiary, and quaternary reaction products can

a. ruin your synth
b. kill you or poison you (nobody wants mercury in their molly, but AL/HG amalgam is one of the main standards)
c. ruin your synth spectacularly (as in blow your ass up like a bottle shaking one pot meth head that forgot to burp the bottle)

drops the mic

*Picks up the mic* Ehemm.. Check. Check. Is this thing still on?

Well I keep saying I wouldn't come back to this site but I'll be damned you guys just have such lively discussions I couldn't help myself. This is a topic I've thought about tremendously simply out the fact that thats how I am, I absolutely love MDMA and this is just one of many that has caught my interest.

I have to start with that I agree with both sides lol. That is shugenja vs everyone else. I do believe there is something wrong with the way this dutch MDMA is being synthesized, but I don't believe it is an isomer issue. (It could be but the probability is more likely on what I'll soon describe.) I used to believe isomers were the reason MDA experiences and duration varied so much over the years but have since changed my mind on that as well. In this post I'll lay out my theories for why MDMA has changed over the years, including why the 90's MDMA was also different.

MDMA is MDMA. In a perfect world yes... But we don't live in a perfect world. We live in a world where these drugs are highly regulated and synthesis by products and precursors not being properly cleaned out means more money. And in some cases a stronger product depending on the synthesis. Each route has unique set of by products synthesized that allow forensic chemists the ability to hone in on the synthetic route used.

Here is a reference that is actually found in the Erowid Rhodium Archive. It lists out the different by product contaminants for four of the more popular synthetic routes. To the mods, this is not synthesis talk but merely labeling the impurities which can be found. I will make sure to not get into direct synthesis talk.

-Impurities found in MDMA synthesized with the reductive amination-

-4-Methyl-1,2-(methylenedioxy)benzene
-3,4-(Methylenedioxy)benzaldehyde, piperonal
-4-Allyl-1,2-(methylenedioxy)benzene, safrole
-1,2-(Methylenedioxy)-4-propenylbenzene, isosafrole
-1,2-(Methylenedioxy)-4-propylbenzene
-3,4-(Methylenedioxy)benzyl-N-methylamine
-3,4-(Methylemedioxy)phenylpropanone
-1,2-(Dimethoxy)-4-propenylbenzene
-1,2-Methylenedioxy-4-(2-aminopropyl)benzene, 3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine, MDA
-1-(3,4-Methylenedioxy)phenylpropanol-2
-1,2-(Methylenedioxy)-4-(2-N-methyliminopropyl)benzene
-N-Methyl-[1,2-(methylenedioxy)-4-(2-aminopropyl)]benzene,
3,4-(methylenedioxy)methylamphetamine, MDMA, Ecstasy
N,N-Dimethyl-[1,2-(methylenedioxy)-4-(2-aminopropyl)]benzene

N-Ethyl,N-methyl-[1,2-(methylenedioxy)-4-(2-aminopropyl)]benzene

-Impurities found in MDA synthesized with the Leuckart reaction-

-1,2-(Methylenedioxy)-4-propylbenzene
-3,4-(Methylenedioxy)phenylpropanone
-Isosafrole glycol
-N-Formyl MDA

-Di-[1-(3,4-methylenedioxy)phenyl-2-propyl]amine
-Di-[1-(3,4-methylenedioxy)phenyl-2-propyl]methylamine

-Impurities found in MDA synthesized with the nitropropene route-

-Hydroxyskatole
-3,4-(Methylenedioxy)benzaldehyde, piperonal
-3,4-(Methylenedioxy)phenylmethanol
-3,4-(Methylenedioxy)phenylpropanone
-3,4-(Methylenedioxy)benzylmethylketoxime
-1-[3,4-(Methylenedioxy)phenyl]-2-nitro-1-propene
-N-[β-(3,4-Methylenedioxy)phenylmethyl]-3,4-(methylenedioxy)benzaldimine
-N,N-Di-[3,4-(Methylenedioxy)phenylmethyl]amine
-Di-[3,4-(methylenedioxy)phenylpropanone]
-N-(β-[3,4-(Methylenedioxy)]phenylisopropyl)-3,4-(methylenedioxy)benzaldimine
-N-(β-[3,4-(Methylenedioxy)]phenylisopropyl)-3,4-(methylenedioxy)benzylketimine

-Impurities found in MDA or MDMA synthesized with the bromopropane reaction-

-1,7,7-Trimethylbicyclo(2,2,1)heptan-2-one, Camphor
-2-Methoxy-4-(2-propenyl)phenol, eugenol
-2-Methoxy-4-propenylphenol, isoeugenol
-4-Allyl-1,2-(dimethoxy)benzene
-1,2-(Dimethoxy)-4-propenylbenzene
-1-(3,4-Methylenedioxy)phenylpropanol-2
-N-Methyl-[1,2-(methylenedioxy)-4-(2-aminopropyl)]benzene,
-3,4-(methylenedioxy)methylamphetamine, MDMA, Ecstasy
-N-Methyl-[1,2-(methylenedioxy)-4-(3-aminopropyl)]benzene
-1-(3,4-Methylenedioxy)phenyl-2-methoxypropane
-N-Methyl-1-[1-(hydroxy)-2-(methoxy)]-4-(2-aminopropyl)]benzene
-4-Allyl-1,2,3-trimethoxybenzene
-N-Methyl-1-[1,2-(dimethoxy)-4-(2-aminopropyl)]benzene
-1-[3,4-(Methylenedioxy)]-4-(2-bromopropyl)]benzene
-1-[3,4-(Methylenedioxy)]-4-(3-bromopropyl)]benzene
-2-Methoxy-4-(2-bromopropyl)phenol
-1,2-Dimethoxy-4-(2-bromopropyl)benzene
-1,2-Dimethoxy-4-(3-bromopropyl)benzene
-1,2,3-Trimethoxy-4-(2-bromopropyl)benzene

Reference: Impurities in Illicit Drug Preparations: 3,4- Methylenedioxyamphetamine and 3,4- Methylenedioxymethylamphetamine. A.M.A. Verweij, Forensic. Sci. Rev. 4,137-146 (1992)

The point of this was to show that each route produces impurities unique to itself. And that isn't even all of them.. There is many variables above that could influence an experience if the product isn't as pure. Now I know some people would say, "well how do we know if any of those are even active?" well many probably aren't but some are and some are probably synergistic or at least only active when mixed with other substances. The next two references will detail a few known active impurities found.

The first is a study that looked at some of the impurities found in various synthetic routes for MDMA. They really only talk about two substances though mostly as being comparable to MDMA in inhibiting reuptake (although they didn't test all impurities only 8.) Of the eight they found two with reuptake inhibition in micromolar similar to MDMA. These two synthesis byproducts were; 1,3-bis (3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-2-propanamine and N-formyl-1,3-bis (3,4-methylenedioxyphenyl)-prop-2-yl-amine. I won't go into too much detail but will hit a few of the main points. Essentially these two compounds are unique to the Leuckart reaction, and while they inhibit monoamine transporters they didn't release well (only the first did, weakly.) They also found that these substances actually inhibited the MDMA of it's action when administered 4mins before the MDMA.

Reference: Pharmacological Characterization of Ecstasy Synthesis Byproducts with Recombinant Human Monoamine Transporters. Christian Pifl, Gabor Nagy, Sandor Berenyi, Alexandra Kattinger, Harald Reighter, and Sandor Antus. Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics July 2005.

This would prove here that it is possible for impurities to inhibit the action of MDMA. Although the Leuckart is rarely, if ever, used for mass production of MDMA/MDA anymore. But what's interesting is that it was the main synthetic route for the early 90's according to another study found in the Rhodium Archives. Some would think, "how in the hell?" A synthetic route that produces impurities which inhibit the the action of MDMA??? Used primarily during the early 90's?!?!? Get the fuck out your prolly saying.

Well this study I'm about to reference also found two impurities in the Leuckart that may be highly active. The first is n-formyl-MDMA and n-formyl-MDA respectively. Now there is no real evidence that these two are active but if we look at the study above with the two synthesis byproducts that showed activity, the N-formyl of the first compound was active so it's possible that these compounds are active as well. But these aren't probably the culprit to why MDMA in the 90's was so f'ing strong (seriously we are talking 60mg would supposedly have people rolling good for 4 hours). This study also found DMMDA!

Now before I go on about DMMDA, I will say that this study also tested one sample of ecstasy to determine its route of synthesis and found the Leuckart was used. So we can assume the Leuckart was at least a very popular route at that time.

On to DMMDA... A highly active substance that was talked about in PIHKAL. Dosage listed in the 30-75 mg range, which is about 2x more potent than MDMA. While the PIHKAL reports don't sound promising, we see that at 75mg it was similar in potency to a decent hit of LSD at 75-100ug. (We must remember that how everyone nowadays compares drugs to MDMA as a frame of reference, back then it was with LSD.) Now while the reports in PIHKAL don't sound great there are other reports for other closely related compounds like DMMDA-2 which show MDMA-like effects at rather low doses. With DMMDA as an impurity it is possible it could have synergized with the MDMA to make it more potent.

To be honest I'm still kinda unsure about what active impurity in Leuckart synth'ed MDMA was the one to make it so potent and long lasting back then, but what I do know is this.. The supposed quality dropping like the old timers say from the early 90's corresponds with people slowly switching over to the aluminum amalgam method. A study which I will get later because I'm running out of time here shows that ecstasy tested in hong kong in the early 00's showed most of it was produced via Al amalgam with a few samples testing as Leuckart.

Now I'm not one of those people that thinks the MDMA of today is somehow inferior (except for the dutch product everyones complaining of, of course) because I have had experiences that honestly rival just about anyones, so I know the "magic" is out there and even on my 12th year of rolling this year I had an experience that made me question if losing the magic is even a real thing. So powerful, so much love and empathy, so long lasting, and the next day was pure bliss (as usual though..) But I do believe based on all the research I've done that the MDMA in the early 90's was definitely "different," the dosages in the pills just doesn't add up for the effects given.

I know this is super long, it's what I'm know for but this is all pretty important info to the topic/s at hand.

But just as the dosages of the MDMA in the pills then doesn't make sense, so does the dosages in these supposed "super dutch pills" don't make sense either. I've honestly never seen someone have a roll I would consider "good" on these things and often people tell me they aren't feeling much even though the pill is tested in the high 100'smg. Just doesn't make a lick of sense.. I've never taken them but have taken pure dutch MDMA before (I won't list my credentials here but where I'm from things are good here, most of the MDMA here is safrole made from Canada but of course with the advent of the dark web dutch MDMA is just a click away. From what I've seen with the MDMA sourced dutch via darkweb as well as the dutch super presses, is exactly what others have seen..

It hits hard and quick, but is so stimmy and introverted. Lacking the love and empathy that I've come to expect. Someone may think they've lost the magic from shit like this yet so many people take it and think it's good simply cuz it reacts right.

Since you guys mentioned the "new stuff" tests instant black with almost a hint of brown, I decided to start testing as many samples I could. I've tested over 10 so far and have seen somewhat of a correlation but my belief is that the marquis turning purple has to do with safrole contamination as others have suggested. One sample looked exceedingly pure, one 150mg crystal literally looked like a tiny quartz with six flat sides that converged into a spike. It tested as others have said (straight black no purple) and gave an alright experience but was definitely more introverted and for the first time ever, I only rolled for 3 hours!! I've been rolling 4-5 times on average per year for the past 12 years and have never had a roll that short before or since. 100mg was strong but I felt like was kinda screwed over on my roll and didn't leave "satisfied." When I roll I expect at least 4, but closer to 5-6 hours (including using a booster dose.)

But just because product tests purple doesn't mean it's good, many of the samples which tested purple were still rather impure. I would say it just gives some idea as to the possible synthetic route used. It could be synthesized from safrole but there are so many other variables that make or break the end product.

The smell thing though is something I've also noticed with alot of this dutch product, even when it has an amber color to the crystal and looks rather impure there is still no safrole smell..

What I can tell you guys to help you in your venture to find the product you all seek is this.. The best product I've had over the years is almost always like this. It should look like near transparent crystals, with well defined edges and sides, but compared to the dutch crystal it has more "jagged" edges (hard to describe but something I can look and see now). It should have seemingly no smell upon first whiff but if you take a crystal and crack it open with a razor you should get a faint quick smell of safrole. This has been, hands down, the best product I've taken and I've come across it on many occasions. It's obvious it's not all the same but again things are well here.

Not sure why the crystals look slightly different than the imported dutch product, but the smell seems to be a good indicator. Essentially the slight smell indicates route of synthesis but you still want pure crystals, too much smell isn't good either. While I find MDMA/MDA with a good amount of residuals oils is still decently active, it gives me side effects I don't get with the purest of crystals, mainly nausea, back/muscle aches, and occasional headaches. Although I'm a hyper sensitive person who suffers these often sober, but it's the reason I search for the best on all occasions.

Hope this post helps someone. Again mods at no point do I discuss how to make any drugs to any extent that would allow someone to make anything. Please allow this to stay.

Funny how last time I was here I was arguing that 5-MAPB varies due to impurities (MUCH moreso than MDMA I might add) and now I'm here to talk about MDMA.

Love you all and hope that product you seek finds everyone deserving of it. Know that it is out there, and as you guys said once everyone catches on that these supposed "super dutch pills" aint so great then people will go back to the old ways of production that actually worked. For those that have tried the Chi-town mints (back when they produced em) as well as the dutch super pills know what I'm talking about.

I'll prolly be back with more if people want. I've only studied this drug for the past decade extensively, it's amazing how complex it is. This is just the chemistry aspect, the pharmacological aspect is just as deep.

And a few more variables that come to mind...

Ammonium chloride impurity found in methylamine gives rise to MDA as an impurity.
Dimethylamine found in methylamine gives rise to MDDMA.
Nitroethane can be found as an impurity in nitromethane, making MDE as an impurity.
The list really goes on and on...

I'm done.

-GC

Last edited:
@ G_Chem

Thanks for the tutorial (seriously not a flame).

However, until you can provide some evidence that there are levels of synthesis byproducts present in the pills today (peaks from the GCMS testing done by pill reports, will match the chromatogram from the referenced paper) that are present in amounts that are psychoactive , the effect of synth byproducts is in the noise. (for DMMDA to be active it would need to be present at 15% considering a 200 mg dose of MDMA -- which is ridiculous 5% contamination consisting of all contaminants in the aggregate is not unreasonable - but still unlikely)

I surmise, based simply on process mechanics, that the majority of the contaminants (by mass fraction) are unreacted safrole, isosafrole, piperonal, eugenol, PMK, etc. (which is borne out by empirical observation -- safrole, isosafrole, piperonal smell in some products)

It is much more likely, that differences in CYP450 metabolism just recently identified -- that are enantiomer specific (yeah who would have thunk that humans CYP would preferentially metabolize MDMA by isomer) coupled with the 200+ mg doses in some pills today, results in an enantiomeric excess during metabolism -- and different subjective effects.

The role of human hepatic cytochrome P450 isozymes in the metabolism of racemic 3,4-methylenedioxy-methamphetamine and its enantiomers.

"For the first time, marked enantioselectivity was observed for N-demethylation and demethylenation by CYP2C19 with a preference for the S-enantiomers. In addition, CYP2D6 showed preference for S-MDMA in the case of demethylenation"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18725511

which means that [in some people] there is a preference to convert s-MDMA to s-MDA by the liver -- resulting in an effective excess of un-metabolized r-MDMA, and an effective excess of s-MDA

and since we know for a FACT that people have different levels of activity WRT CYP enzyme activity -- normal polymorphism driven differences + RX driven impacts to CYP2C19 etc. (which wasn't even considered as related to MDMA by most people) result in what people call Mongy

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say it could be lower than 15%. I can feel as little as 5-10mg of MDA mixed in with some MDMA, and it seems possible DMMDA could potentially be more potent than MDA. The study I ref'ed above tests only 8 potential impurities and found 2 of them were significantly psychoactive, it's very likely out of the 10's if not 100's of other possible impurities that one of them could be synergistic with MDMA/MDA or psychoactive on its own.

For the topic of 90's MDMA produced via Leuckart, the Leuckart is a dirty reaction that leaves alot of impurities. It's yields aren't horrible but aren't great either. I can't find the reference right now but one reference for PMA I believe shows 10-20% n-formyl-pma as an impurity. Essentially there was alot of other compounds which could have altered it's effect. Also taking a look at the lab testing of the pills from the mid 90's, there were "unidentified" compounds found in each sample which weren't pursued and assumed to just be synthesis by products or added during pressing. These "unidentified" substances obviously did not have a lab standard for testing, so all the well known drugs can be ruled out, my guess is it was likely synthesis impurities.

And yup there are many studies which show the enatioselectivity of metabolism of these substances, that's the reason R-MDMA and S-MDA plasma (and other bodily fluids) levels are usually higher as well. One study of a death via motorcycle accident while high as a kite on MDMA showed very high levels of R-MDMA. But I can't see how this has changed to make the experience so much different... The way we metabolize MDMA has always been like this. And the fact that different batches of lab tested MDMA have different effects (consistently, not just once in a while setting related stuff) points away from that as well.. (If what you pointed out was the culprit, these same people would likely feel the same effects for every MDxx product they tried and would never have enjoyed it in the first place.)

And there will be many of these impurities that you simply just can't "smell." Having MDA, MDEA, MDDMA, PMA, PMMA, MMDA, DMMDA, n-formyl-MD(M)A, and others could not be "smelled" or observed without lab testing. If the sassafras oil isn't distilled it's possible to have other substances go along for the ride, apiole and myristicin are two. Likely the active impurities would need to be lab tested for. But again I will agree that the precursors you listed would be the major impurities found in most batches.

It is one big mystery but my main point was that MDMA is not just MDMA in most cases. Every batch can be different based on so many variables. If there truly is a difference in the product and it likely isn't coming down to any environmental factors, then the most logical place to look would be impurities or some substance that is being missed during lab testing. It isn't a perfect science (in all reality we as humans haven't been doing this chemistry thing that long, we are just scraping the surface with our knowledge on these things), labs can miss things.

The R-isomer theory doesn't make sense though, that I can agree on. The R-isomer is longer lasting then the S-isomer and trippier as well. People say they get monged out yet speedy (introverted in a way) with these new pills and they last alot shorter. If anything I'd think the opposite is true and they are synthesizing pure S-MDMA, if we are to think the isomer theory is correct. Pure S-MDMA would fit the profile much better, and as studies show the racemic is preferred. What "preferred" means is up to debate but I'm assuming it could mean the "magic" we all seem to be talking about here.

That or the purity of this new stuff is "too pure." Looking at the 90's product with its impurities, and how looking around chem forums producers talk about how customers sometimes prefer the more impure product, it's possible these impurities play a part in the "magic" we love. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say, "the best stuff is brown or amber in color and has that sassy smell to it." While I tend to disagree (to some extent, a little smell is ok, color is not) maybe these people are on to something. I used to think it was just because it was an easy way to identify the material but who knows..

Btw Kaden Nite, I just wanted to say your posts made me laugh so f-in hard damn near cried, thank you for that :)

All for now. I'll be back.

-GC

Last edited:
I agree completely with shugenja.The only reasonable explanations for these differences are dose, tolerance, individual differences in metabolism, or the product not actually being MDMA. Just a highdea here but one other possible reason for this shift in effects and 'lack of empathy' could be due to a general shift in our collective psyche in recent years. Given our now extensive addiction to the internet and social media, we may be subconsciously losing some of our empathic capability. Differences in our individual psychologic states generally is also surely a huge factor; just because MDMA doesn't give full psychedelic 'visuals', it still undoubtedly has powerful psychedelic (that is, mind-manifesting) effects, more than many people seem to realise.

I'm certainly enjoying the chemistry aspect of this conversation. There are obviously some very intelligent posters in this conversation. Shugenja, are you coming around to the fact that there is something definitively wrong with this "new" MDMA? I thought you and I had come to a perfect scenario where we could all finally agree todays stuff is awful. Perhaps you just experienced on your own? At it's most basic summarization, todays MDMA has little to no love or empathy and is extremely lethargic with an excessively long recovery period and absolutely no pleasant afterglow. I hypothetically have 1 of these Dutch pills left. I'm planning on sending it in to ecstasydata.org on Monday with the offer of paying whatever it takes for more extensive testing to get to the bottom of this. Any final suggestions from either you or G_Chem on what I should be asking them to do? Be precise as I'll just copy and paste your questions.

Le Junk

I agree completely with shugenja.The only reasonable explanations for these differences are dose, tolerance, individual differences in metabolism, or the product not actually being MDMA. Just a highdea here but one other possible reason for this shift in effects and 'lack of empathy' could be due to a general shift in our collective psyche in recent years. Given our now extensive addiction to the internet and social media, we may be subconsciously losing some of our empathic capability. Differences in our individual psychologic states generally is also surely a huge factor; just because MDMA doesn't give full psychedelic 'visuals', it still undoubtedly has powerful psychedelic (that is, mind-manifesting) effects, more than many people seem to realise.

Not this again. You keep forgetting that I have, and have always had since the late 80's, a bleach white crystalline MDMA powder that is everything MDMA is supposed to be. Extreme love, empathy, horny, heaven-like, touchy feely, beautiful comeup and beautiful comedown. Fall asleep like a little baby and wake up with a beautiful afterglow. The buzz from this powder has been the same exact thing every single time since the 80's. It doesn't matter if I had an awful day, the weather is terrible, just broke up with my girlfriend, whatever. It's always the same thing every time. No excuses or explanations needed. The new Dutch pills, which I sent into ecstasydata for verification and came back as just MDMA, are no good. The only variable here is that I've done the real thing. If this new Dutch crap was the only thing I've ever done, I might say differently. Over the years, I've taken a little of my powder, a lot of my powder and medium doses of my powder. It's exceptional at all levels. I've done the same with the Dutch pills and its anything but. Sorry, but this new MDMA is junk. End of story.

Shugenja, are you coming around to the fact that there is something definitively wrong with this "new" MDMA?

Le Junk

NO!

I have had several completely normal as expected experiences with MDMA, within the last year.

I have not had any mongy experience, period.

I have also been fortunate to be able to experience 5&6 apb, 5 is my new fave, honestly I think I enjoy it better than MDMA

NO!

I have had several completely normal as expected experiences with MDMA, within the last year.

I have not had any mongy experience, period.

I have also been fortunate to be able to experience 5&6 apb, 5 is my new fave, honestly I think I enjoy it better than MDMA

Ugh. Apparently, you haven't had the pleasure of these Dutch "super pills" aka super junk. I really wish you would have indulged me. Moving forward, what do I request of ecstasydata?

Le Junk

Le Junk: I completely know what you're talking about with everything. It's not the same as it used to be! :(

Ugh. Apparently, you haven't had the pleasure of these Dutch "super pills" aka super junk. I really wish you would have indulged me. Moving forward, what do I request of ecstasydata?

Le Junk

Chromatographs

Le Junk, you can always link them to this thread. Will they read it, probably not, but about five years ago they got in touch with me about a sample of "2C-B-FLY" to ask for more information. Whether this will pique Earth or Fire's interest or not, who knows.

You may also want to simultaneously submit a sample of each product you have - the Dutch and your bleach white, for a direct comparison.

By the way - thank you for doing this. I appreciate the time and expense.

Once safrole became impossible to import in 2004, chemists have no choice but to use PMK-glycidate as the precursor...this is old news

Le Junk:

(1) Ask them to provide a ratio of R isomer to S isomer. It should be 50:50 if Shugenja & Co. are correct. I suspect it will not be.

(2) Quantitative identification of all other substances detected in the samples, besides the expected MDMA - this will determine the type and levels of impurities and the route of manufacture.

For me, the thing which cannot be ignored is the massive increase in the dosage of MDMA being put into the types of pills under consideration. This doesn't make sense unless something has changed.

Over the weekend I and a number of well seasoned friends sampled two different types of MDMA at the same house party:

(1) Some rather devilish looking light purple coloured MDMA powder - this tested purple to black, was somewhat impure and had a fantastic euphoric and energetic high.

(2) Half a red/pink Trojke - which was the one ecstasy data tested at ~ 230mg. Well the half I had was horrid - rolling sideways without love, munted without moving and devoid of any ability to get up and enjoy much of anything or anyone. it continued to suck the life out of me long after any of the mildly enjoyable but entirely stoning effects wore off.

From my observations, my experiences on each lot of MDMA seemed to mirror everyone else's. Those that had the pills (always done in halves) could barely move and one remained virtually comatosed on a bed for several hours, bug eyed and useless; whereas those that had the capped powder were having an absolute ball. So don't anyone tell me, after 17 years of MDMA consumption and I am sure more than 1000 pills/caps, that the chemical makeup of these two different samples of MDMA are the same. They weren't; they aren't; but who the fuck really knows why this is so.

Hopefully Le Junk can find out...

Last edited:
It can't come down to an "overall change of conciousness" or anything like that either if people are still get consistently good results off of certain products and not others.

And before I continue, I do agree when sourced right 5-MAPB is great too and rivals MDMA, but that's for another topic...

What we have to look at is this. Well knowledged people who've been using MDMA without issue for years, and still can just fine, are finding certain products (particularly dutch "super" presses) to be devoid of the enjoyable effects they desire. Certain things, for instance duration, which are consistent amongst different people, are great indicators that something is going on.

If it is an isomer issue, then again it may be that they are producing pure S-isomer. The R-isomer is significantly longer lasting than the S-isomer, or racemic MDMA. Having a shorter duration doesn't match the profile. With that R-MDMA is somewhat psychedelic according to discrimination studies. Pure S may be more in line with the effects described, shorter duration, stimmed to the point of being floored and just wanting to "ride it out," etc. But since reports of people taking pure isomers is kinda rare we can't say for sure.

Biscuit, essentially the scenario you just described sounds like there was the dutch presses with it's supposed "very pure" mdma compared to an obviously very impure batch of mdma. (A purple coloration is typically on the lesser pure side of things, not to say I haven't seen purple shards that weren't subjectively good.) This scenario could prove two potential theories, 1.) That impure MDMA is somehow superior to ultra pure MDMA without residual oils. Or 2.) Safrole produced MDMA is somehow superior to PMK-glycidate MDMA. (Did the purple MDxx smell of sass?)

Please Le Junk do see if they can test for an excess of isomer in one direction or the other, this would at least settle that debate and can be done very easily. You will be praised for you efforts no doubt :)

After responding to this post I started thinking back to when these dutch presses started getting popular, as well as reading posts from back then. I remember in the beginning people were amazed by them because they thought the dosages were so high they were just flooring people out and making them untalkative, but over time it's becoming obvious that's just the way these pills are. Yes dosages of "properly synth'ed" MDMA (if that is the case..) which are too high can do that too, but typically it'll level out and people become more social whereas these are straight introversion through and through.

On top of that when a supposed "ultra pure pill" only lasts 3 hours (like 2 1/2hr peak), then something is terribly wrong. Thankfully I've only had it happen to me one time because I've always been happy with the local produce, but I can tell you there is nothing worse then having a short unsatisfying roll. Looking around too people are changing the whole way they dose these pills too. People are going from dosing once or twice in a night to 3-5 times or more. Taking more to try in vain to lengthen the roll, it's just a sad state we are in right now.

It's amazing we used to piss and moan about piped out pills, now we have the complete opposite problem that the MDMA is somehow off from what we truly want.

I'm about to roll here in just about week from now (last time late august) on some very pure safrole produced MDMA. I've taken this stuff before with fabulous results but who knows, according to some people the "global stream of conciousness has changed" so much it might go from a 5-6hr roll of epic proportions to a 2 1/2hr introverted peak, I'll let you guys know ;)

-GC

Once safrole became impossible to import in 2004, chemists have no choice but to use PMK-glycidate as the precursor...this is old news

This is not entirely accurate.

They could easily use eugenol or piperonal as precursor -- hell they could use vanillin

https://www.amazon.com/Artificial-Vanilla-Vanillin-100-Pure/dp/B00A9WC9RQ

25 grams from AMAZON -- food grade -- for $11

Or you can get it for $10 a kilo from petrochem sources

based on the steps to get to MDP2P and published yields

vanillin to protocatechualdehyde - 93%

protocatechualdehyde to piperonal - 61%

piperonal to MDP2P 90-72%

Low end = ( .93*.61*.72) = .40 -- so i rounded down to .3 based on a fudge factor for sloppy process

-- that equates to ~300 grams of MDP2P per kilo of vanillin -- or $35 per kilo from a food flavoring, not counting catalysts or reagents

Le Junk

You may wish to inform them of you suspicions that it seems to not be MDMA -- and could be a structural or positional isomer.

I expect that is more likely, than an excess on one enantiomer vs another.

Again -- as I stated before -- no magical PMK-glycidate unknown enantomerically imbalanced synthesis is necessary.

There is a much more likely plausible and reasonable way to get isomerically pure MDMA.

If someone found [or made] a cache of R-MDA (which is the preferred isomer for MDA, was synthed in the past, and has a described published synthesis) -- then the MDMA synthesized from the MDA via the formyl - LAH method as described in PIHKAL would yield enantomerically pure R-MDMA.

(this is due to the fact that the base phenethylamine being enantomerically pure and is simply being alpha carbon-methylated, as opposed to the whole process of converting the ketone to the n-methylamphetamine)

Per PIHKAL the yield from MDA via the formyl LAH method is 73%

MDA stored in vacuum sealed containers in the dark will last decades
It is not unreasonable to assume that some MDA may have been cached and stored when it became less popular and MDMA exploded in the 80s and 90s.

Else,

its dose or an isomer

You may wish to inform them of you suspicions that it seems to not be MDMA -- and could be a structural or positional isomer.

I expect that is more likely, than an excess on one enantiomer vs another.

Again -- as I stated before -- no magical PMK-glycidate unknown enantomerically imbalanced synthesis is necessary.

There is a much more likely plausible and reasonable way to get isomerically pure MDMA.

If someone found [or made] a cache of R-MDA (which is the preferred isomer for MDA, was synthed in the past, and has a described published synthesis) -- then the MDMA synthesized from the MDA via the formyl - LAH method as described in PIHKAL would yield enantomerically pure R-MDMA.

(this is due to the fact that the base phenethylamine being enantomerically pure and is simply being alpha carbon-methylated, as opposed to the whole process of converting the ketone to the n-methylamphetamine)

Per PIHKAL the yield from MDA via the formyl LAH method is 73%

MDA stored in vacuum sealed containers in the dark will last decades
It is not unreasonable to assume that some MDA may have been cached and stored when it became less popular and MDMA exploded in the 80s and 90s.

Else,

its dose or an isomer

there is nothing magical about chiral impurities, carried into the final reductive amination process...being able to effect the ee of a reaction that would be otherwise producing a racemic product if those chiral impurities had not been there. It is a known phenomena

things that are not highly likely but possible have been known to happen.

Any analytical chemist aware of this issue could figure it out in a matter of hours.

1) do chiral chromatography to rule out a non racemic product
2) do MRM or daughter ion analysis to rule out positional isomers being present.

its not that hard at all.

has this thread considered the possibility of different polymorphs being present? would they be likely to have a qualitative effect on the experience? is there a good way to test this?

with respect to point 1), if they did cut the mdma with R-mdma that was left from the past as you suggest 1) wouldn't be able to tell the different if it was due to that or an R/S ratio other than 5050 being formed within the synth.

Last edited:
there is nothing magical about chiral impurities, carried into the final reductive amination process...being able to effect the ee of a reaction that would be otherwise producing a racemic product if those chiral impurities had not been there.

There is no evidence of a reaction that produces an enantiomeric imbalance.

If you have evidence please provide it

Status
Not open for further replies.