• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What is the worst drug to have withdrawals from?

What is the worst drug to have withdrawals from?

• Heroin

Votes: 100 13.5%
  • Methadone

Votes: 98 13.2%
  • Oxymorphone

Votes: 27 3.6%
  • Tramadol

Votes: 22 3.0%
  • Benzodiazepines

Votes: 292 39.3%
  • GHB/GBL

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • Alcohol

Votes: 45 6.1%
  • Meth/Amphetamines

Votes: 39 5.2%
  • Cocaine/Crack

Votes: 13 1.7%
  • Ketamine

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • SSRI/SNRI/MAOI/TCA/TeCA antidepressants

Votes: 21 2.8%
  • Other Opiates/Opioids

Votes: 65 8.7%

• Total voters
Pregabalin/gabapentin have the worst withdrawals in the world, sadly they are not listed so I'm not voting. 2:nd place is benzos and 3:rd is methadone/buprenorphine. These drugs make my list because the withdrawals are so excruciatingly long, when it comes to withdrawals, it's not the strength but the length that gets to me.

Benzos and alcohol #1

Tar heroin comes next. Much worse than regular heroin IME, all those nummy alkaloids make it a whole different monster

Wouldn't you have to go through WD from every drug on the list to really answer this question?

I've done my share of benzos over the years but never enough to to have any real WDs, but from what I've seen, it has to be the worst....

^I agree that tar has more powerful withdrawals than powder...It doesn't hold you as long either.....

Give me a few years to get dependent on SSRIs, GBH/GBL, Benzos and tramadol and I'll be able to actually answer this question

based on the comments it seems there is a slight consensus that Benzo WD's are the worst followed by Opiate Wd's , specifically Methadone. I have only experienced Opiate WD's so I can't compare the two but coming off Methadone seems worse then coming off Oxy's for sure.

From my opinion Methadone is the worst withdrawal ever, it takes a long to time to show up and last for a fuckin long time.
My first experience of withdrawal was after 2 years of slowly using codeine/opium once in a while to snort/smoke a little less tha a couple of g's of H a day. At the time I was in london and was scoring some decent white powder from a turkish guy. My gf and I were planning a trip in asia before heading to OZ for a year, I thought It was the best moment to stop using, at this periode I was working a lot, having a job in a nightclub until late so I was using uppers to stay up (mostly bad cocaine and amphetamines) and using H to come down and sleep, as well as during the day to have a nice buzz I was still enjoying it even if I knew that I would start to feel shaky and sweaty after a da without I never experienced a full on WD.
So we took the plane, I brought couple of grams with me and had the best plane ride ever, snorting line every now and then and nodding hard, scaling bloody mary in between, the first was also awesome, wondering around Bangkok buzzing hard. Then the dope was gone and I was waiting to see what would happen, and boy, it hits me fuckin hard.
I started with the shack, chill and diareah and nausea. After 48 hours it was fuckin insane, I was sweating balls, having my whole body into spasm of muscle contractions, the next step to restless syndrome, for 2 or 3 hours at the time, this state lasted 3 day, the 4rth day I started to feel better, i couldn't sleep more than 20/30 minutes at the time but my mental state wasn't as bad as I expected. I think that the fact we had a lot to see and discover helped a lot. I started feeling better after 10 days.

The last time I stopped at 60mg without tappering, I was given Valium and some muscle relaxant but it didn't help much, it was 10 days of pure madness, restless legs, being cold constantly, chills, diareah 20 time a day, permantly feeling like puking and horrible mental state for month after. After these 10 days where I have slept 20/30 minute a night, taking 6/8/9 warm bath a day I was left with a depressive state that I never experienced before. One day I lost it like it never happened before, I was into some weird delirium, having visual and auditory hallucination so bad that I had to the ER, they put me to sleep and I walk up the next day feeling like shit.
I talked to the doc and he told me that maybe the lack of sleep and the residual effect of withdrawal trigger the mental state. He was nice tho and told me that I should be proud to go through all this to get clean and that I did well to come before it turns bad.
I felt it would never end, my whole body and mind was up side down.
Then for 3/4 weeks I would cry few hours a day, even I did felt specialy sad for a reason It would just come like that without warning or I would be all euphoric almost feeling I took some drugs then back to sad and disoriented again.
I also felt totaly empty of all force for about 6 month not being back to normal, I still feel today that this withdrawal left some scars, since I don't the same anymore. Anyway after 7 month low I decided to go back to methadone at a low dose and tapper slowly because I couldn't handle it anymore, and god almost instantly I felt alive again. My gf at the time after seeing me like this told me that staying clean was certainly a good thing but living in such a state wasn't looking really human thing to do, I felt some relieve to ear that from her.

So far the heroin WD is for me more intense but shorter compare to methadone. The day I will have to go through it i'll taper slowly and try to switch opiate, for example methadone, then morphine then codeine. I'm sure it will be less painfull.

I have cold turkey'd:
OxyContin (most painful, you really feel this one in your bones)
Heroin (obviously horrible, but honestly not as bad as the OC kick)
Methadone (Perhaps the worst of all because it's the longest lasting. And my muscles wouldn't stop cramping and twitching)

I voted for benzodiazepines because benzo WD can be fatal. And even after a two-four day run on xanax I get crazy rebound anxiety and the sweats.

I've been through both and heroin withdrawal is definitely much much worse than meth withdrawal. You are correct that the medical descriptions of it being like a "bad flu" are totally inaccurate and under-exaggerate it. More like think of the worst flu you have ever had - involving diarrhea, nausea/vomiting, constant chills/hot flashes, nose running like crazy, abdominal pains, aches and pain in every part of your body, extreme fatigue, can't get comfortable - then combine that with extreme anxiety and restlessness, wanting to stab your legs (and/or arms) because they hurt so much and are kicking around, depression so bad you feel like you'd kill yourself if only you weren't too weak to do so, self-loathing, and then add the fact that time is seeming to crawl by making it feel like it will never end, and then imagine that you know there is a drug you could take that would make you instantly feel better. If that isn't torture I don't know what is.

That's a great description! It reminds me of when I had to get off a 400mg a day Oxycontin regiment of 2-3 years (legal and all) due to some hang-ups with the Federal government. You pretty much hit it on the head and where I was, no one gave a shit (ha ha, I certainly did give many shits!). Chills, restless, no sleep but always tired, no appetite, shitting constantly your butt hurts, no desire to shower so you stink - you get the picture. I imagine my Oxy habit would rival a herion habit of some amount but I wouldn't know because I never did H. I have to believe we were in the same boat though. Personally, it took the better part of two weeks for me to be a functioning human and close to six months to give a shit about my situation. Eventually I got it together, started working out and actually got in great shape losing about 65 pounds along the way. It is a freaking bear to overcome but it can be done.

For me it would definitely have to be opies. I'm not gonna differentiate cause I did whatever opie I could get to not be sick & never noticed any difference in the WD symptoms from one opie to another. In fact the only difference I ever noticed WDing from different opies was the length of the WD.

Last edited:
going thru wd from dones now. 12 10s a day. 5am in deep south in may freezing cold, watching tcm. I got cut back on my roxies so i never wd from them severly cause i take extra dones the morning after i blow thru my 30s. I have to wonder about some ppls opnions and the depth of their addiction/experience.
Dont get me wrong i am not knocking anyone but xanax wd? I took xanax for years with paxil and never felt much more the mental wds. I get the rush to take a handful of footballs but never stay awake or kick in bed from xanax. If cocaine/crack wds lasted more thAn a few hours nor a bottle of vodka were around it would be high on the list just for the devilish thoughts on how to get more that quickly subside. Lsd also used to be some nasty shit when it was blotter just due to the rat poisoin ( forgot how to spell strychnine?) but lsd was just an day or so to recover and isnt exactly wds. I would imagine heroin is bad but i have never shot it for much more than a couple days years ago and the itching did suck. Shooting coke for months can have nasty wds but not worth dying for so that helps. I actually believe this question should be broken into 2 categories. Psychological vs physical. I think pyschological wds are the worst but physical hurts the worst. The psychological is what keeps u going back to your preferred vice. U also have the drugs that damage your brain/serontonin production that leaves u in constant depression. My vote for physical wds is methadone followed quickly by roxies/oxys. Psychogically im not sure. If the urge that u get to run out and by dope just out of the blue would have to be coke/crack. U know u cant enjoy it once u cross the line but u still try to convince yourself this time u will be able to enjoy it until u start pacing looking for aspirin to stop your heart from blowing out your chest bc you dont realize how much oxys/methadones are built up in your system and u pray to get thru it one more time until a few weeks pass and u renig on God. Just my 2 cents
Ha you are so right about that last part. Can't tell you how many times I've prayed to god "just let me live through this & I swear I'll never touch it again" only to wake up the next morning to rinse & repeat.

In my experience coming off both opiates and benzos cold turkey, benzos are far, far worse. Opiates are no fun, but you can chug NYQuil, drink Kratom, and it's manageable. When I was detoxing from Xanax, nothing helped. Xanax is an evil drug to get addicted to...the half life is so short youre chasing it all day long. No peace. It's like the crack of downers. You need more every 4 hours.

I actually called for an ambulance when I was about 24 hours into my cold turkey off Xanax. I just didnt feel like I knew where the bottom was (like I did with opiate withdrawl), and that scared the shit out of me. Weirdly, a lot of handling withdrawl comes with experience, because then you know what to expect at each stage along the way. With the Xanax I felt like I couldnt take it and worse, I had no idea if I was 99% of the way to the worst of it or just starting.

Of course the trip to the hospital was a waste, locked in a room for 8 hours before being offered a bed for a taper. By that time I felt a bit better, and more importantly, felt like I had turned a corner thru the worst of it, and didnt want to get back on the benzos just to do a taper (although the idea of some IV ativan sounded damn good). So I said no and left. For about 3 more weeks, I felt OK, but still couldnt really leave the house. Just a ride on a city bus made me want to scream and jump into traffic.

Point being, benzo withdrawl makes opiate withdrawl seem like a walk in the park (CAVEAT - never detoxed off h or oxy, only off a habit of about 25-30 10/325 lortabs a day)

Methadone is nasty stuff.
You're not supposed to Cold Turkey Methadone, you're supposed to go down a mg a day until you get to like 40mgs, then you go down 1mg a week. You'll feel almost nothing. The worst part will be going from 1mg to none, and a few benzos + beer + maybe some weed and you're fine. Methadone is a Godsend.

Discontinuing Methadone the wrong way: Hell.

^It's not always that easy......It's different for everyone.....The first time getting off methadone wasn't that bad for me, and like you mentioned, I was fine until I went from 1mg to zero....but after being on it again....it was more difficult to cut down.....withdrawal in general gets harder everytime you go through it.....

I say benzos are the worst because of how long they last and the fact that you can have seizures etc.....Does it subjectively feel worse than severe opiate withdrawal? IDK.....any prolonged discomfort that there's really no way to relieve sucks....If you could just sleep your way through WDs, it would be much easier....but time stands still

Alcohol is probably the worst to withdraw from if your a serious alcoholic. I had a probation counselor who worked in a pysch ward in New York, and he said he saw a gu y going through DT's so bad that he was crawling on the floor with a rolled up newpaper bashing what he said were snakes that were covering the ground. You can also die from alcohol withdrawls unless given anti seizure medicines. Heroin withdrawls youll wish you were dead but they wont actually kill you

Heroin withdrawls youll wish you were dead but they wont actually kill you

that's every helath-care professionals favorite quote to use an excuse to discharge early/not treat someone going through severe opiate withdrawals....I've even had nurses tell me to lie and say I was using benzos or alcohol on top of the opiates just to get admitted for detox....

Every time Ive been to detox, it seems like the majority of people who are REALLY suffering are there for opiates.....4 out of 5 of the people that are there for alcohol or benzos seem completely fine and leave in 2 days....There's always 1-2 people with TRUE DTs, but half the people in detox for alcohol are homeless just trying to get a place to sleep for a few days.....

A hospital has to take you in if you say you're in alcohol or benzo withdrawal because of the chance of you dying, but they can send somebody in opiate withdrawal home regardless of whats going on....

True, I mean I did heroin of and on for 13 years so I know how bad opiate withdrawl can get, I'm not trying to down play nothing. The hospitals even treat opiate addicts as more scumbags for some reason, like you have control over it more than alcoholics, its weird. Def, the factor of dying is the reason why they keep benzo/alcoholics. I have heard DT's from lifelong drinkers, i mean like a quart a day for 30-40 years are insane, and people really f'ing lose their minds

I've never done heroin, but I've done plenty of oxymorphone...I remember last year, I went on a 30-day binge about this time. When it was over, I took a whole 8mg strip (a lot for me) and still felt like complete shit.

Oxymorphone is a mindfuck

Xanax, i really don't think there is any other option. Sure other drugs will make you feel like death but xanax will take you there.
Even when i was ending my daily use with a small taper , of a quarter bar a day. I still bugged out when i was completely out. Staying up till like 6am in the morning, finally getting your eyes closed. Then all the sudden a jolt goes through your body, making you worry if you're gonna seizure.