• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What is the most addictive substance?

This is an interesting thread. I have seen a lot of people getting sober from all types of drugs, including heroin, amphetamines etc. But they can't stop smoking cigarettes. Almost everyone smokes in these AA/NA meetings.

@ erikmen- that was some super insightful stuff a couple posts up - never really thought about the differences in addiction types. indeed this is one of my favorite threads !

This is an interesting thread. I have seen a lot of people getting sober from all types of drugs, including heroin, amphetamines etc. But they can't stop smoking cigarettes. Almost everyone smokes in these AA/NA meetings.

Statistically it's the most addictive and lethal drug (IIRC). It is indeed ironic how prevalent it is at AA/NA.

I've known many, many more people who've died or have suffered serious health implications from smoking cigarettes than any other legal/illegal drug usage.

Yup!

They are now investing in vaporizing nicotine but I've heard that a great percentage of those who start using will end up smoking.
It's mostly about strategies to ensure that young addicts could eventually start smoking some day, so I read.
They actually say that "A cigarette is by far and away the most dangerous consumer product ever invented. So to say it's not as bad as a cigarette is not saying very much.".

Last edited:
I have tried nicotine a few times, but never been addicted to it. I would have to say xanax. about opiates, i tried codeine and got pretty high, but it made me so fucking constipated after Ive never really wanted to try it again, which suprised me because of my pretty addictive personality.

Last edited:
Statistically it's the most addictive and lethal drug (IIRC). It is indeed ironic how prevalent it is at AA/NA.

I've known many, many more people who've died or have suffered serious health implications from smoking cigarettes than any other legal/illegal drug usage.

Now here's the problem when they say nicotine is the most addicting: think of how many people smoke cigarettes. Probably a fuck ton more than people that use other drugs and a fucking lot more than those people who do use probably. So statistically, if say the same amount of people used heroin and used it the same amount of times a day as people who smoked cigarettes, statistically speaking, those results would probably be different.

Have any of you tried the cannabinoid AM-2201. It's supposed to have the same qualities as crack in terms of the constant need to redose and addictive nature of heroin. I can personally vouch for it. i was addicted to it for three months. And had lapses multiple times. And the withdrawals it causes are severe. I've had severe kindling and excitotoxicity that kept me up for 7 days, caused intense full body myoclonus, absence seizures, and other seizures that destroyed the sense of smell in my left nostril and reduced the sense in my right by I'm guessing maybe 60%. I ended up having to go to the ER eventually.

The withdrawals took three months to subside. And I have done opioids, various psychostimulants, all types of GABAergics, dissociatives, you name it...none of them addicting. This substance and other cannabinoids - as a result of this substance - majorly addicting...

You can read the horror stories about it online...

there apparently a survey which concluded that cigarettes and tobacco products are the most addictive, more than other drugs, i dont agree, for me it was opiates. what was it for you?

Food. I always eat more than I need for health and energy. And I love sugar and fat as comfort foods. It's a nasty addiction.

Tobacco and nicotine probably are concluded as the most addicting in studies because more people used them than any other drugs and the people that use them smoke constantly. Now think, if the same amount of people took opioids, and took them as constantly as people smoked cigarettes, which of the two do you think the survey would conclude as more addictive?

already a thread like this buddy, i think it even has the same exact title.

the most addictive drug I have ever used was IV cocaine, hands down.
I'm on a sub program now, but yeah, iv coke addiction is the biggest rush, it put a 20 year hurtin on me!

Tobacco and nicotine probably are concluded as the most addicting in studies because more people used them than any other drugs and the people that use them smoke constantly. Now think, if the same amount of people took opioids, and took them as constantly as people smoked cigarettes, which of the two do you think the survey would conclude as more addictive?

Good point. I guess it would have been impossible to quit.
I think that perhaps it has to do with how many times you use it.
People normally smoke 2 cigarettes per hour, 1 or 2 packs a day.
After talking, watching TV, coffee, sex, work, even water, food etc, etc.
So basically every around you is a trigger, all the time.

i def see everyone's point, but i think the fact that tobacco is sold OTC has a lot to do with it being more prevalent than opiates; if they sold heroin at 711, i have a feeling it'd fly off the shelves faster than marlboros.

I watched a documentary about how heroin is making a full damage in Pittsburgh. Hundreds of deadly OD's.
It's all over the place, cheap and fu** dangerous. Yeah, probably opiates.
All over the place. It's real epidemic and it's getting worse.

i've seen that! it's on netflix i believe. you should check out HBO's "heroin: cape cod" - same kind of deal, was really well done i thought.

It's really difficult to say how prevalent opiate use would be in a society in which they were sold legally, on a retail level...on the one hand, they are quite addictive of course, but on the other hand I feel that a lot of the desperate, craven, "addict-y" behavior inspired by them is a direct result of them not being fully legal and therefore having the supply being uncertain. It would be an entirely different paradigm if they were legal, regulated & freely available, and I'm not sure how it would ultimately turn out (I'm a supporter of drug legalization BTW)

Plus, a lot of people who are opiate addicts are just fucking obsessed with them and dramatically overestimate the pull of opiates on everyone, including those who may not share their obsession for that particular class of drug

interesting point. my opinion is, if heroin were to be sold next to cigarettes let's say - behind the counter, 18 to purchase - i think heroin would be very prevalent, much more so than today. i say this because it would be available to current addicts moreso than it is now, and those too scared to seek it out now (due to its legal status) have more of an opportunity to try it.

some may counter that opinion with the colorado weed legalization not causing more people to smoke weed, but heroin is far more physically addicting and i think it would be an invalid comparison due to that.

all that said - i do think it should be sold legally, because the criminal approach to drugs hasn't made it any less of an industry.

Yes, I also think that this could lower the criminality considerably, but on the other hand I think we'd have more addicts than we could possibly handle.

Now here's the problem when they say nicotine is the most addicting: think of how many people smoke cigarettes. Probably a fuck ton more than people that use other drugs and a fucking lot more than those people who do use probably. So statistically, if say the same amount of people used heroin and used it the same amount of times a day as people who smoked cigarettes, statistically speaking, those results would probably be different.

Just to clarify: obviously the fact that cigarettes are legal and freely available, while heroin is illegal and clandestine, will influence this to a large degree. Looking purely at the numbers of people who use nicotine is pretty meaningless.

But by addictiveness, what I meant was this: what are the chances that a newcomer to nicotine will become a regular user of the drug after 1 initial use. In other words, person A smoking 1 cigarette for the first time, and person B snorting a line of heroin for the first time: what are the chances that person A will eventually become addicted to nicotine, what are the chances that person B will eventually become addicted to heroin.

You could perhaps say that if heroin were legal, the number of people addicted would shoot up dramatically. I'm not so sure, though. I think a big part of the reason why nicotine is so addictive and prevalent in modern day life is because nicotine delivers a noticeable psychoactive effect that the body begins to crave, but the psychoactive effect is not "debilitating" in the same way that a good heroin high is...it's a mild stimulant effect, not a drug featuring your chin resting on your chest as you drool on yourself :) Plus the social paradigm in which hard opiates would be freely available to all who desired them would be very different from the one we live under today, with different priorities from public health administrators to policy makers to drug users to everyone in between...for one, I'd imagine there would be a massive population of functioning addicts if opiates were reasonably priced and easily accessible.