• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What is the "ego"?

It's such a beautiful occurrence when two egos melt together. I'm still looking for the ego that will drop her shell and melt with me. <3 Where are you?

I've held the Ego to be the 'interface' between you, (as in the real you the essence/soul/spark) and reality. Depending on how you have experienced things and how you have dealt with them will depend how you view yourself, (as in you the Ego interface seeing you the essence). No matter what in order to function at any level in this reality we need an Ego.

It is the thing that allows us to function to various levels depending on how well it has developed but in essence its the ME that separates us from the US.

I've experienced what I think may have been ego death: I was way out there and thought I, (not my body but me the 'real' me) was dying, it was as scary as fuck but once I accepted I, (the Ego/separate self) was no longer going to exist it was OK even exciting at what was to come! Although you could argue by the extent that something got excited it was an Egoic thought

On another view I believe I had an Ego death when on a mix of psychedelics and dissociatives I 'became everything' I was a God that remembered itself as the entire universe and as such whether or not I return to corporal form was whether I chose to or not. Now I was no longer the I that I knew but I was everything, every rock person and bit of black matter that ever did or will exist. Although I was there as the God so maybe not true Ego death, I don't know

I THINK both of these experiences although very different would possibly count as Ego death or not depending who you are talking with.

I will always carry with me an 'ego', since I am human. It is another trick to think it can be taken away. It can only be recognized for what it is, stopped, and transformed.

The term is incredibly over-used, and how can you even put a label on the most powerful psychedelic experiences. There is a lot more to the path than realizing and experiencing that you personally are not real. Ego death to me is knowing that you do not have a name, or a personality, you don't have any friends and you don't have any family, or a past or a future, you don't have any positive traits and you don't have any negative characteristics, and you don't have a personal taste in music. Your opinion on anything such as different drugs, such as pro weed or pro psychedelic people for example, or anti-opiate people. All of that is an illusion. You can put on the display of peacock's feathers all you want, and you might even attract some ladies, but you're lying to yourself. Some people are so unbelievably fake in their identity that they deserve a separate entitlement (people who see the world as something to manipulate for their personal gain). So one way I use it is when you experience or realize that you are bullshitting yourself if you think you have any reality in that way. Really I like to avoid the term 'ego' though because it is used in all sorts of contexts: spiritual, psychological, etc. and it's just another label for something that is beyond words.

Then there is this ego: You are competitive. You are fierce. You are always right. You are smarter than others. You have to win. You always come first over everything else that exists. You're the opposite of a loving and compassionate being. This is the part that is taking over the planet, and ruining our species. If you realize the illusionary nature of your being, as I tried to describe above (and probably did a shitty job), then how can you continue to believe this bullshit that you are superior to anyone else? In fact we are all of the same Essence. The differences between us are illusionary. The idea that there are even other beings is an illusion too. There are no other people out there. There is only one consciousness which kind of splits up and interacts with itself. There is only the one manifestation of the cosmos appearing as many, but they are all the same. You look through your eyes; that's not the way of looking at it. You are what you are experiencing so anyone you encounter is a manifestation of yourself, and the same can be said for any person out there. So how can you be an asshole of a human being if you are aware of this. It will completely change your life if you embrace it and make an effort to really incorporate these ideas into the way you interact with the world and with yourself.

Then there is this bullshit to be taken care of: cars, money, bank accounts, politics, world issues, homes, sports, sex, fortune, fame, success, health, "the american dream", youth/old age, crime, etc. etc. etc. essentially the view you have formed since birth of what the world consists of. This to has to go. It's bullshit. None of that shit is real, it's all illusionary mental constructs. The world is perceived that way so that the egos can have a field day with all the disparity.

THEN once you have stripped away everything that you once thought was real, detached yourself from all attachments and aversions, when you can quiet your mind and embrace death... labelling that 'ego death' is just ridiculous because it's another label that isn't real. And there isn't anything to attach the label to. There isn't any such thing as ego death as well. But that's a way of alluding to the spiritual transformation.

Nobody can really describe these things though very well because the human language wasn't really designed for that purpose. Which is why these chemical tools can come in handy (not always, but definitely sometimes). Everything I just wrote is complete bullshit and has no basis in reality as well. It's also the tip of the iceberg this is basically the starting point, when you leave your old life behind and let yourself die. Buddhism does a decent job of describing it, at least to me, but again that's just another mental construct. You can see how conflicting and confusing it is to even try to talk about this sort of thing with an "egocentric" language with fundamental terms such as "I" and "you" that constantly have to be avoided. Fuck english.

Last edited: