• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin What is the difference between sterile water for irrigation and bacteriostatic water?

IVwithglee

Greenlighter
Hi there all, was just wondering if there was an important difference between sterile water for irrigation and bacteriostatic water. I had mistakenly purchased the sterile irrigation water and upon purchase I realized they were not the same thing. I know that the bacteriostatic water has alcohol in it as well for sterilization, but the irrigation water does not. The sterilization water is supposedly for cleaning medical supplies and the like and it's not to be IV'd. The vial also says there is a risk of hydrolysis, which I would imagine there is a risk of the with bacteriostatic water as well, and regardless of risk, the amount used in IV'ing would not be enough to cause hydrolysis anyway. So is there an important difference between the two? The the sterile irrigation water sage to IV? Or are they essentially the same product?

Hi, person with some reasonable medical background here.
Don't IV either, in my opinion. You need sodium chloride, granted getting that could be mildly difficult. Are you just trying to flush with the product or what's your end-game here?

I was just going to use it to inject a shot with, thats why I was trying to be cautious about the intravenous use. Just wanted to be as clean and sterile as possible!