• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids What is difference between codiene/promethazine syrup and codiene/promethazine pills

sav_wms

Greenlighter
I know a lot of people talk about lean- codiene cough syrup like it?s so great but what would be the difference between that and just taking some codiene and promethazine pills together? First of all it would be A LOT cheaper I know one pint of lean can easily go for (no prices) I?ve seen some go (no prices). Codiene pills are really cheap tho and promethazine is even cheaper. I wonder is it just because when you pour up some syrup you are supposed to sip on it so it kicks in slower and probably lasts longer? If so wouldn?t crushing up some pills in a drink be the same thing? I?ve never done lean tho I?ve taken codiene pills before and they barely do anything. Couldn?t you just dissolve some promethazine and oxycodone in a drink and make a way stronger lean? I know I can?t be the first person to think of this I just don?t know if there is something about the cough syrup that makes it better as I?ve never done it or compared the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is absolutely no difference, the only tiny difference might be the syrup kicking in a tiny bit faster but you could achieve the same effect by dissolving your pills in a glass of water and taking it like that.

"Lean" is a stupid trend and every time I hear someone talking up lean I know they have no idea what they are talking about in terms of the facts/basic science about codeine, and any other drug for that matter. It is just codeine and promethazine dissolved into medical syrup, the syrup itself is not a drug and adds nothing to the experience besides a shitty artificial flavor and slimy texture.

I'm not judging you for asking and i'm glad you did. It's good you are interested in the facts and not just the hype.

Also price discussion isn't allowed here or any other forum on BL.

I've wondered the same thing. I also wonder how the hell rappers get literally cases. But yeah, it's all a "status" thing apparently.

IMO much of the myth around "lean" has to do with it simply being the primary opioid that a young African-American male living in a poor inner city neighbourhood had easy access to, unless they wanted to go straight for heroin.

Many rappers come from a socio-economic background where people had much lower chances of being able to afford regular visits to a pain clinic, or for that matter find a doc who's even willing to prescribe them strong opioids, nor could they easily afford to buy them on the street.
So unlike rural white America, which was awash with things like oxycontin and and percocet, inner city America had to make do with an opioid that was not considered to be addictive enough that people would notice it being widely used for recreational purposes: enter promethazine-potentiated codeine. Sure, the promethazine didn't actually contribute to the euphoria (just the sedation), but when you're a kid in the ghetto, just trying to get as wasted as possible, it'll make do.

Over time, some of the kids from the hood grew up to be famous rappers, and "lean" developed a cult status, becoming an object of nostalgia, and a way for them to show that they've not forgotten their ghetto roots. And now that famous people officially made it "cool", everyone wants some of it - and with production of Actavis syrup being shut down and docs being less willing to prescribe codeine/promethazine combo syrups in general, they want it even more.

^Its ironic that it's origin in pop culture is in the poorest areas of the country as now people seem to be willing to pay enormous prices for it.

^Its ironic that it's origin in pop culture is in the poorest areas of the country as now people seem to be willing to pay enormous prices for it.

Not that this would by any means be an unprecedented development - caviar used to be mostly eaten by poor fishermen; lobster used to be so cheap that it was a staple prison food, and was pretty much universally despised by the inmates.

Yeah I figured the 2 had to be pretty much exactly the same. I wonder is Xanax the same way because a lot of rappers talk about that too

Yeah I figured the 2 had to be pretty much exactly the same. I wonder is Xanax the same way because a lot of rappers talk about that too

Not sure what you mean with the xanax bit...?

I'm guessing they meant popularized by rap. While we're on the subject, is heavy lean use really the cause of seizures or is it the other drug abuse like benzos?

Last edited:
Benzo withdrawal can cause seizures and i've never heard of codeine/promethazine causing a seizure so yeah it's probably stopping a big benzo habit.

Xanax is also overhyped but some people actually do find it fairly recreational, i am not in that camp.

I didn't think that opiates in general caused seizures but I'm definitely not an expert on the subject. According to this article "lean" can indeed cause seizures...

A Doctor Explains Why Lean Can Cause Seizures

By Karizza Sanchez

Deputy Editor. @karizzasanchez
Jun 14, 2016

On Monday, TMZ reported that Lil Wayne's plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Nebraska after the rapper suffered a seizure. He reportedly had a second seizure once the plane took off again and was taken to the hospital by an ambulance.

According to a rep for Wayne, who confirmed the incident to The Fader, the rapper, "under the guidance of his own doctors," is now "in stable condition and good spirits." Young Money president Mack Maine tweeted that Wayne was doing better.

Initially, the cause of the seizure was unknown. But, according to TMZ, Wayne reportedly drank three bottles of promethazine-codeine syrup—or lean—over the course of a club appearance and after party in Minneapolis the night before the incident.

This isn't the first time Wayne has suffered seizures. In 2012, the rapper's private jet made an emergency landing because of a seizure. In 2013, he was hospitalized in L.A. for seizures he experienced while filming the music video for "High School" with Nicki Minaj.

Wayne has said in the past that he has epilepsy. "This wasn't my first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh...I have had a bunch of seizures, you just never hear about them," he told Power 106's DJ Felli Fel in 2013. "My heart rate went down to 30 percent. I have people around me who know how to handle it. This time was real bad because I had three back to back, and the third one was so bad." But, according to him, the seizures were caused by stress and lack of rest.

Whether or not Wayne's recent seizures were drug related remains to be determined. But the curious are wondering: why does lean cause seizures? We spoke to Dr. Wolfgang Steudel, an anesthesiologist from Newton, Mass. to get an answer.

(This interview has been edited and condensed.)

What are codeine and promethazine used for?
Codeine is a light narcotic, and narcotics suppress cough. But, in stronger concentrations, they also suppress breathing. They can put you in a coma, they can slow your heart rate down, and they can bring your blood pressure down. A typical sign that someone has a narcotic intoxication is small pupils. Someone who has taken a lot of narcotics can get into a circulatory collapse and cardiac arrest, and they might die.

So if you put Phenergan [brand-name promethazine] on top of this, that adds to the effect. Phenergan itself has some central nervous effects. When you overdose on it, you can get heart suppression, low blood pressure, breathing suppression. You can become unconscious, and you can die. You can also have these paradoxical effects where the drug causes hyper effects—you can have a seizure, have these unexpected jerking movements.

So if you have these two drugs together—one that’s known to suppress all your functions and the other that can cause suppression or a seizure. When you suffer a seizure, the other drug stops your breathing. It’s a dangerous situation.

What makes lean addictive?
The codeine makes it addictive. The more you take, the more you need. At a certain point, you hit that threshold where the Phenergan really becomes toxic, and unfortunately you really don’t know where that threshold is.

The Phenergan makes it dangerous because once you hit the threshold, it amplifies the sedative effects, or it brings you to that hyperexcitable stage where you can potentially suffer a seizure. You’d have to take a lot of codeine to hit that threshold. It’s unlikely to get yourself into a situation where you get a narcotic overdose similar to what you get with heroin. But the combination with Phenergan makes it really dangerous.

So the combination of promethazine is what can cause seizures?
Yeah. You can get a seizure alone with Phenergan but no one will abuse Phenergan alone because it’s doesn’t give you the same pleasant effect of codeine.

How much lean would you have to drink to induce a seizure?
I don’t know. People are different. Its very individual. Some people get hooked quickly. Some people have a genetic make-up that can lead to alcoholism or nicotine dependency. I would say that there isn’t a one-size-fits-all answer.

If someone's had a seizure before because of lean are they more likely to suffer from seizures again?
Let’s say you go on a drinking binge and the next morning your alcohol level drops—you’re at high risk of having a withdrawal seizure. Anyone who’s had a seizure in the past should be even more careful. It doesn’t mean that anyone who’s had a seizure before should never drink wine again, but everybody who’s had a seizure should consider not going on a binge. I would definitely stay away from strong drugs like lean.

Everybody who’s had a seizure and takes a drug that causes central nervous system or brain suppression—be it alcohol, Phenergan, or codeine; anything that dulls the brain—and then experiences withdrawal, or the level of that drug drops…. It’s very dangerous.

https://www.complex.com/music/2016/06/doctor-explains-why-lean-causes-seizures

Promethazine is, among other things, an acetylcholine receptor antagonist. (from Wikipedia: "Promethazine is listed as one of the drugs of highest anticholinergic activity in a study of anticholinergenic burden, including long-term cognitive impairment.")

Anticholinergics fuck around with your nervous system in all sorts of ways, and in extreme cases they can lead to delirium and seizures.