• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

What is a religion? (Is Buddhism a religion? What about atheism?)

A practitioner doesn't believe in anything but the practice which includes to leave the intellect, the thinking mind. you can be sure that monk dont care if there are deva (god) realms or not, all they want to do is keep on practicing until they reached the end of all suffering (nibbana).

there are different realms of existence, whether atheist believe it or not, it doesnt change reality.

I wish happiness and inner peace to everyone, I have loved my time here, but I dont feel that I can really help people from a distance. I wont be part of this forum anymore.
I have had wonderful conversations and I'm very happy to have been part of this forum. I dont take drugs anymore, not even psychedelics drugs and plan on getting rid altogether of every forum I'm in, I have caught myself doing literally missionary quest :) and this is not recommended by the buddha or the sangha. I realize that when I am bored, I visit forum and this is the time I should very much develop for my practice.
I must be honest and say that I have really liked this forum, the attitude, respect, and intelect of people makes this place most interesting: I'm a bit sad to leave! its clearly one of the most interesting forum on the net!

I love you all and wish you all the happiness we have in our own heart!

Last edited:
That definition is correct.

And you seem to have a blatantly incorrect assumption of "atheism" being a religion. Which it is not. Atheism is not any sort of system of belief or faith in anything; it's literally the lacking of them.

Buddhism is a religion, yes.

I wish happiness and inner peace to everyone, I have loved my time here, but I dont feel that I can really help people from a distance. I wont be part of this forum anymore.
I have had wonderful conversations and I'm very happy to have been part of this forum. I dont take drugs anymore, not even psychedelics drugs and plan on getting rid altogether of every forum I'm in, I have caught myself doing literally missionary quest :) and this is not recommended by the buddha or the sangha. I realize that when I am bored, I visit forum and this is the time I should very much develop for my practice.
I must be honest and say that I have really liked this forum, the attitude, respect, and intelect of people makes this place most interesting: I'm a bit sad to leave! its clearly one of the most interesting forum on the net!

I'm sad to hear that. :( But I heartily wish you happiness and inner peace too :) <3 I will miss your contribution.

I'll say one thing; Bluelights purpose is not to talk solely about hedonism and how to get fucked up, but to help people use drugs safely and protect their health and lives. Part of the precepts of Buddhism suggest that compassion and caring for others is also a path to inner peace. In a way, contributing to Bluelight could do some good in a world that needs it; or at least that's what I believe.

Much love brother <3

THR said:
So, while I am perfectly comfortable rejecting the existence of an active, personal god(s) demanding worship and dictating how we ought to live such as is presented by the theistic religions, on the ground that the divine left us with no good reason to believe that it exists or that any particular dogma concerning its will is true over competing claims, I would not strictly consider myself to be an atheist (in the militant, antitheistic sense that the term often carries), but an apatheist

That perfectly structured sentence to encapsulate some fundamentals of my own view. I would tend towards agnosticism though, with a huge amount of pantheism and entheogenism. By that, I don't solely mean activating the divine with drugs, but an understanding that the universe (for me) primarily originates within my mind. I feel like all the external divinity people seek (and often find) is more a reflection of the inner divinity, rather then an objective, external object. In my life, many times I've prayed for help from without and its never arrived. But when I determined to find that help within myself (I was so desperate, I needed to find this power) I (sort of) got it. Not to say that I am not still crushed by life at many times and in many ways, but I have come to see that there is a certain god that can manifest inside me. Taken further, its everywhere and also in me :)

Good posts my buddy <3

Thanks for your contributions man. :) You'll be missed. I understand what you're saying though. I sometimes feel like this place is a time sink for me as well... sometimes I've even taken breaks, but for me, it provides such a valuable platform for what I consider my mission that I always come back. But just saying I get where you're coming from. It sounds like you've thought about it and come to the conclusion you feel is right.

Good luck with your endeavors. <3

There's a really good piece in my comparative world religions textbook that just said something along the line of
"any creed/group based upon a supernatural force or entity, in which the primary doctrine is made up of ways to appease/live in accordance with this entity"
Sir James G Frazer said it like this: "Religion consists of two elements, a belief in powers higher than man and an attempt to propitiate or please them"

I'd also add that atheism is definitely not a religion, this has nothing to do with whether or not you think religious is a negative connotation, but rather a simple matter of definition. Religions must involve supernatural dogma, atheism merely rejects this, therefore meaning that it is not a religion. Apologists try to use this as an insult against atheists but its entirely incorrect, if something is not a dog, and is put under the classification of "not-dog," is it still a dog because the word "dog" is in "not-dog"? See how ridiculous that gets?

Last edited:
When you ask a buddhist fpr himself wheter he feels his religion as religion, he will often said "its more like a philosophy". Compare wikis entry therefore: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism#Is_Buddhism_a_religion.3F . And I really think that is the point - here a buddhist said too f.e. that his religion is more a philosophy but the modern science needs to categorize each "spirit movement" into religious-category. Finally I never know a peacefuller "religion" than buddhism is, isnt it??

Id say atheism is 'religious' but not a religion. Maybe you could argue science is 'religious.' I reckon Its hard to draw the line as to where a category ends as that is always in fluctuation and debate, just like this thread kind of shows.
I wonder how much fluctuation in this thread comes down to semantics?
From how i see things, the term 'god' is very problematic as it can mean many different things sometimes even simultaneously.

Also, ... There can be a wood table, a plastic table, a stone table, (and different types of wood/stone/plastic). you can talk about the plan of the table or the techniques to build the table, or how the table fits into its environment (ie decor or how it can be used in combination with other things like a chair or a dinner party). There is many ways to talk about something, an idea. Whether it be the experience of the divine, or how to let it take over, or how to live ones life to help facilitate it, or suggestions as to how people should live their lives so they can get along and dont war, or metaphors for explaining countless things etc etc. People have different understandings and motivations too.
Id wonder what nomads or hunter gatherers would encapsulate in their mind if they saw a 'table' (or apply the same idea to a 'car')?

I reckon science in our society can be seen as 'religious' too. The way its mediated, and how citizens gobble up products of science without actualy understanding it. Do we just 'believe' what is mediated to us about science because the 'scientists' tell us? Its more like a process where the scientist talks to a reporter and they 'dumb it down' so that we can understand the basics of it. This is where i question if we can actually judge whats best for us or if we are going on a 'leap of faith' and thus rendering the 'mediating of science' as 'religious.'

To me religion does mean a belief in a higher being and common practice among all those who share the same title (ie. Christian, Muslim, Atheist). But I think everyone is spiritual or holds strong beliefs that guide their morality. Atheism and Buddhism are not religions, but ways of viewing the world. You also have to keep in mind that Buddhism is an atheistic system. Atheistic systems give individuals the freedom to seek truth on their own, with suggestions rather than requirements. Each person must travel on their own path to achieving greatness! However in theistic religions, individuals are taught objective morality and ideas and must adhere to specific practices and guidelines in order to achieve their ultimate goal.

I believe there may be some higher power, some higher dimension which we can't concisely or consciously perceive. But, there has been no evidence of that, until I fell in love. Love is an emotion. But, maybe it transcends what we see around us. My memories and emotions combine to give me a spiritual sense of self when I observe and concentrate on the love I have for the world around me and my partner.

I'm off to S.E Asia and will be meeting with Buddhists, hopefully participating in some meditation. I'm starting to believe there is some part of me which me comprises a soul - but what of it? I'm in search of answers, and as I recover from long term addiction I am finding myself. It's a work in progress, but nonetheless I still think searching for my spiritual-self is much more important than remaining in denial of what I am observing throughout my life, which I once before held as a view of atheism.

Contrary to what a lot of Westerners believe, Buddhism is not akin or equal to Atheism, as a lot of Buddhists worldwide actually worship Hindu gods, or some worship the Buddha.

Contrary to what a lot of Westerners believe, Buddhism is not akin or equal to Atheism, as a lot of Buddhists worldwide actually worship Hindu gods, or some worship the Buddha.

NO

we do NOT worship anything. we appeal to them for guidance. they, too, have received the dharma are follow the path, even though the buddha told us that only in the human state may we enter nirvana. but those gods that might exist, and have become buddhist, may wish to help other buddhists along the path and thereby better themselves, even though they cannot enter nirvana in their current manifestation. a rope may look like a snake when first seen, but with observation and understanding, maya is dispelled. ;-)

Religion is a tendency to believe in something despite the lack of evidence supporting that idea. Atheism is a strong belief as well, although it is in the opposite direction than typical religions.

Agnosticism is the "fence", and agnostics (such as myself) argue that there is a lack of proof for either case (whether god exists or not), and as such the question cannot be answered at this point.

NO

we do NOT worship anything. we appeal to them for guidance. they, too, have received the dharma are follow the path, even though the buddha told us that only in the human state may we enter nirvana. but those gods that might exist, and have become buddhist, may wish to help other buddhists along the path and thereby better themselves, even though they cannot enter nirvana in their current manifestation. a rope may look like a snake when first seen, but with observation and understanding, maya is dispelled. ;-)

I was told what I posted by Indian, Chinese, and Japanese Buddhists and they said how they worship certain Hindu gods, or even the Bhuddha, and that despite what western people who were not raised Buddhist believe, Buddhism is not atheism or does not promote atheist beliefs that there is no God/gods/goddesses.

I was told what I posted by Indian, Chinese, and Japanese Buddhists and they said how they worship certain Hindu gods, or even the Bhuddha, and that despite what western people who were not raised Buddhist believe, Buddhism is not atheism or does not promote atheist beliefs that there is no God/gods/goddesses.

right - the buddha's position was that powerful spiritual being exist, but worshiping them is pointless. most of them, especially Jehovah and Allah, are addicted to worship. frankly, i see the christian god as a god of death. shepherds don't protect their sheep because they are pets - they just don't want other people to eat them. sheep are food. people need to understand what 'the Lord is my shepherd' really means. and jesus on the cross is a gross glorification of torture and pain. jesus as a celebrity is BS. how would he feel, walking around now and seeing people idolize him being nailed to a post, instead of learning his teaching and doing good. let me introduce you to one of my gods.

Lan Caihe is one of the eight taoist immortals

lan-caihe.jpg

Lan Caihe is an effeminate teenage boy, always in a state is dishabille - often wearing only one shoe or such. He wears a blue robe and carries a basket of flowers. Each of the flowers has the power to heal one specific illness, and Lan Caihe spends a fair amount of time collecting and distributing them. it is said of him:

Life and death are great affairs, and yet they are no change to him. Though heaven and earth flop over and fall down, it is no loss to him. He sees clearly into what has no falsehood and does not shift with things. He takes it as fate that things should change, and he holds fast to the source​

He is often mistaken for a young girl, and enjoys women's clothing and jewelry. He is a wanderer, making his way with charm, song, dance and poetry - when given coins for his performances, he just gives them to the poor. He plays the flute so beautifully and hauntingly that men forget their griefs and regrets, though he also uses castanets, rather like a flamenco dancers. When he is called to heaven, he rides a great white crane.

that pic is the background on my computer. but i don't *worship* him, i just really LIKE him. i do sometimes appeal to him for a favor, and i'm planning on painting that pic on my wall as a mural. but he can't help me find enlightenment. he doesn't own my soul (which is also maya), i don't go to his heaven when i die. when i put a flower on his altar, that is not at all like taking communion.

i have a tattoo on my calf that looks just like my avatar -Dreaming Jaguar. at one point in my life, i was totally addicted to IV morphine and dilaudid. i was trying to be like william burroughs, writing a book, 'it's a literary high'. i did write three chapters of really excellent stuff, way better than i could sober, but fuck - that shit is evil. i had to quit. i went cold turkey and when the withdrawal set in, drank a bottle of cough syrup. i had a total relgious experiece, the gods came, not what i was expecting, and they were not pleased. but dreaming jaguar did heal me. he told me:

"tomorrow, if you wish, you can rationalize this experience away. you can rationalize anything, if you must, but that doesn't mean that irrational things don't happen. there are things that you will never understand, and rationalizing them away is just denial. accept the wonder and mystery of the universe"

a few hours later, it ended, i had no withdrawal whatsoever and no craving. now, if something happens, i can take pain pills as prescribed and not binge or any shit like that. it's not like AA/NA, dreaming jaguar (or the DXM) cured me, broke the addiction. but for that to happen, i had to *believe*. the only thing AA gets right is when they say 'addiction is a spiritual disease that needs a spiritual cure'. just not their cure. the next day, i took the money i had set aside to buy drugs and got dreaming jaguar tattooed on my leg.

i love dreaming jaguar - fuck, he saved me. but i don't worship him; he doesn't want that. if he had a temple, i would go there and mediate and bring him flowers (he has one growing out of his head, representing his dream). because of him, junkies and addicts are my people. i can't force anybody to do what i did, and i frankly don't recommend it, but on two occasions i have used it to heal people and it worked.but i don't worship him and i'm not some kind of messiah out to save the world. i know what this culture does to messiahs - they nail them to posts. no thank you. the fourth precept is:

Do not avoid contact with suffering or close your eyes before suffering. Do not lose awareness of the existence of suffering in the life of the world. Find ways to be with those who are suffering, including personal contact, visits, images, and sounds. By such means, awaken yourself and others to the reality of suffering in the world.