• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What if the War on Drugs is a from of addiction? (Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal)

TheBlackPirate

Bluelighter
Psychedelics are drugs. I think this is relevant here.

1460297254-20160410.png

http://smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=4076

The war on drugs is the most currently logical way to juggle politics.

Explain your view of juggling politics. You are saying mass incarceration and the disproportional criminalization of racial minorities is the most logical way?

I don't know where I stand on the issue. I would decriminalize everything but not legalize everything. As in you can't go in the store and buy it. Well some things I would let you go in and get it. But I'm not sure how exactly it would be controlled, do you tell your doctor you want to get high and you're good or what.

So ya actually I'd legalize but control everything.

Police should not be involved with drugs other than violent gangs. The problem with decriminalization without legalization is the street trade would go on and still be violent around certain drugs (coke and heroin.)

Yeah the biggest harm from drugs is the crime surrounding them, especially the gangs/cartels/etc, but also the simple fact that people can and do get their lives ruined by the law only because it's defined as a crime to use them. If they were legalized, those elements would disappear. Decriminalization would prevent people from getting their lives ruined by the law, but it wouldn't stop the organized crime involved in bringing those substances to people.

^ I will give it to society it is a difficult question to answer. I think if we decriminalized all substances with in a certain degree we can save our population from feeling hopeless in specific situations however as Xorkoth said it wouldnt fix smuggling issues. I feel that there still needs to be some control over the what is allowed and what is not for example i do not think society could function with legal crack. I do feel all drugs can be decriminalized to remove the idea that drug users are felons help get them what they need to stop and move on with their lives. I am a recovered heroin addict and i am thankful i didnt catch a possession charge in the years i was doing it, that is a lingering reminder that you fucked your life up. That makes it that much harder to get over "care to explain the charge you have from 5 years ago" causing you to relive that part of your life over and over even if you are done with the whole thing.

If we look at the war on drugs as strictly a matter of policy, of course it's a failure. Rates of addiction have been fairly steady and drugs are more cheap & plentiful than ever.

But I think it's more interesting to look at the war on drugs as a success...as a means of social control, as a means for a certain segment of the population to gain wealth & power, as a political wedge issue that enables politicians to stay in office, etc.

I'm for the legalization of all drugs. Would there be problems because of drugs being legalized? Yeah, probably serious ones actually...but I'd rather live in a society that has to contend with those problems than one which has to contend with the other set of problems that arises from prohibition or even decriminalization *shrug

I'm for the legalization of all drugs. Would there be problems because of drugs being legalized? Yeah, probably serious ones actually...but I'd rather live in a society that has to contend with those problems than one which has to contend with the other set of problems that arises from prohibition or even decriminalization *shrug

I have had convocations at length about this topic with people and the general idea is that with something like legal crack most people will not purchase it because the general idea is crack is bad so that idea will still hold true much like how a lot of people dont smoke cigarettes even though their detrimental effects arent immediately felt. As someone who has smoked a decent amount of crack in his day and never cares to do it again I would just see legal crack as a pit fall for myself, much how alcoholics have a hard time because you have such easy access. Not societies fault at all but who will be closing the "crack bar" at 1am, is it you? because thats not a job i would want ;)

lol crack

I have a hard time even envisioning crack continuing to exist in a hypothetical society in which all drugs have been legalized.

lol crack

I have a hard time even envisioning crack continuing to exist in a hypothetical society in which all drugs have been legalized.

God you are vastly underestimating the power of crack LOL... off opiates and crack for over a year and every once in a while crack comes into my thoughts, never dope though. I envision crack falling off of society only to be rediscovered by some modern society like we discovered "beer from ancient Egypt" engravings. They will find a discarded pipe analyzing he resin in it recreate it and destroy their society, that is the staying power of crack!

Explain your view of juggling politics. You are saying mass incarceration and the disproportional criminalization of racial minorities is the most logical way?

I'm saying the establishments' point of view in my opinion.

Legalizing marijuana is hard to regulate, and it is hard to regulate medical patients' DUI boundaries.

Many drugs would also damage institutions, just as you pointed out like prisons or even moreso big pharmaceutical.

States' right vs. federal law digs at tensions stemming from the Civil War.

It may not be a coincidence that those smart enough to deal with drugs also do not get caught. Think of it being a norm.

It is also a given that all drugs have consequences. Marijuana is shown to alter young brains. Many acid users are on zyprexa for example.

That is why. The whole system will eventually change. My wording may have been misleading. From the governments' point of view, they are doing their best at regulating the whole concept. Easier said than done. Imagine gasoline made from hemp. People would lose jobs.

I support legalization.