• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Tolerance What happens if I stop vaping cannabis suddenly after years?

papercuts

Bluelighter
I'm wondering what I'm in for. I have plenty of weed in my home environment and I haven't run out apart from a few days last July for years. I try to wait a few hours before my first vape of the day, but most of the time I'm fairly stoned 24/7.

So what's the problem?

I've to go to a wedding, overseas, can't take my weed with me and we are going for a week. :eek:
99% of my efforts have gone into getting the opiates under control, since Feb been doing well, still using a little but waiting days in between, got buprenorphine so should be OK when away.
That left me 1% effort for my dress, shoes, nails, hair (oh bollocks, I need my hair done) and no thought at all to the cannabis.

I'm not capable of tolerance breaks, I can quit opiates (sort of) but a little vape of cannabis is so natural, done that since 12, I ought to know what's coming, but I don't.
Am I going to be sick when I don't have any?
Maybe some hash in the bra, do airports notice that?
Last thing I want is to get arrested and miss the sodding wedding after all this effort.

I'm wondering what I'm in for. I have plenty of weed in my home environment and I haven't run out apart from a few days last July for years. I try to wait a few hours before my first vape of the day, but most of the time I'm fairly stoned 24/7.

So what's the problem?

I've to go to a wedding, overseas, can't take my weed with me and we are going for a week. :eek:
99% of my efforts have gone into getting the opiates under control, since Feb been doing well, still using a little but waiting days in between, got buprenorphine so should be OK when away.
That left me 1% effort for my dress, shoes, nails, hair (oh bollocks, I need my hair done) and no thought at all to the cannabis.

I'm not capable of tolerance breaks, I can quit opiates (sort of) but a little vape of cannabis is so natural, done that since 12, I ought to know what's coming, but I don't.
Am I going to be sick when I don't have any?
Maybe some hash in the bra, do airports notice that?
Last thing I want is to get arrested and miss the sodding wedding after all this effort.
Idk if this is allowed, but I'd get THC gummies and put them in a gummy bears package and super glue it shut. You probably won't enjoy the wedding in the slightest if you quit cold turkey. Irritable, anxiety, insomnia.....

It’s obviously nothing compared to opiate withdrawal but you often get very irritable and can snap at people. The insomnia can be pretty severe and I often can’t concentrate.

I wouldn’t put it in your bra due to body scanners. I have been known to put a 1/2 gram / gram of hash in cling film and put it under my tongue. Been through whole body scanners a lot and been fine. Worst that will happen is you have to swallow it.

Your best bet is to stop a week before and get through most of the withdrawal before you go though. I find it easier to stop for a bit if I have some about.

for me with weed withdrawl, i usually get a couple days till about a week where i feel kind of burnt out and tired cause of the weed still in my system... after that i get some extra energy which i guess could be considered anxiety and it becomes less enjoyable. i was a really anxious person in general before i started smoking so i don't know if that's even the case for every one. i'd expect a couple days of feeling burnt out and tired after quitting if you are at all like me.. i even found i actually like the first few days with out smoking when i'm in a situation where i definitely can't smoke and i'm not left anxious trying to contact dealers and what not.

i'm guessing if you try to stay in good spirits then you could still have a good time even if you feel a little under the weather from not smoking. and it's not like you have to quit for ever... at least after that week you'll know what it feels like to go with out weed for a bit. maybe you won't even think it's that bad.

Where could one possibly go where weed isn't available? usually an extremely easy substance to find and unless going to Russia easy to bring vape or gummies etc... Usually doesn't even raise an eyebrow.

Shouldn't experience anything more than irritability and insomnia otherwise.

Find out the jurisdiction you are going to have the wedding in (US, yes?) and order some of the federally legal D9 THC gummies derived from 3% THC or less hemp. order them now and ship them to your destination. Make sure that these types of edibles are legal in your destination. If so > PO box. There might even be head shops in the place you are going to that carry these edibles.

I’ve got no experience with these/this b/c they be illegal in Canada while weed isn’t.

Tom

For what it's worth, if you're traveling in the US, I've never seen TSA harass somebody for a cartridge type vape pen. As long as it's not labeled d9, they leave them alone because there are so many legal ones floating around, it's not worth their time.

I'm not saying you should bring drugs on an airplane, but I am saying that if you were to bring a delta 8, or CBD cart, they're more than likely not going to test what's inside of it.

Thanks for the replies, it calms me down to realise I probably won't even be the only one on the plane with this problem!
I vape ground bud, not the liquid, but I have an old liquid vaper somewhere, might be a thought, I found it a bit lame last time I tried but it'd be better than nothing.
I'm not in the US, travelling to GB where I think everything except cbd is illegal.
Posting or bringing some edibles might be the way to go, then I can sleep at least. I fall asleep when I'm stoned, I don't have another way of getting to sleep, I don't remember so far back!
We travel 5 days before the wedding just so I have time to adjust, I hope it's enough.
Next time (another one next year) I'm flying over and back in one day and if the flight is cancelled or delayed then I'll miss it.
I remember feeling what foodcrisis describes about feeling really good a few days later when it's out of my system, it took three days then, in the fall of 2021, as a bonus the dark patches under my eyes went away too, fingers crossed.
It'll be great when I get home again :)

This post is marked « Tolerance », which is required observing the wall-of-shame getting filled with multi-intoxication scenarios, e.g. with interactions and the resulting vilification of cannabis that won't kill anyone. Not to mention this never-ending alignment could as well come from the $¢ientology $e¢t and we'd never know. So, welcome to a community most tolerant indeed...

This post is marked « Tolerance », which is required observing the wall-of-shame getting filled with multi-intoxication scenarios, e.g. with interactions and the resulting vilification of cannabis that won't kill anyone. Not to mention this never-ending alignment could as well come from the $¢ientology $e¢t and we'd never know. So, welcome to a community most tolerant indeed...
Not really sure what this post means, cannabis withdrawal won't kill me or anyone else who wasn't dying already, I think we all know that and it's not what I asked.
Are you saying this part of the forum is reserved for users of cannabis who use no other substances?
What about tobacco or alcohol?
My question was about cannabis, so I asked in the cannabis forum, seemed sensible to me, didn't know junkies needed to be approved by you first.
For the record I'm not really a junkie, just a stoner who likes opiates too.
Is that the sort of comment that you think vilifies cannabis?
I don't spread the rumour that cannabis has addictive properties, I just find it impossible to put down after over 40 years of it, make of that what you like.

Not really sure what this post means, cannabis withdrawal won't kill me or anyone else who wasn't dying already, I think we all know that and it's not what I asked.
Are you saying this part of the forum is reserved for users of cannabis who use no other substances?
What about tobacco or alcohol?
My question was about cannabis, so I asked in the cannabis forum, seemed sensible to me, didn't know junkies needed to be approved by you first.
For the record I'm not really a junkie, just a stoner who likes opiates too.
Is that the sort of comment that you think vilifies cannabis?
I don't spread the rumour that cannabis has addictive properties, I just find it impossible to put down after over 40 years of it, make of that what you like.
It seems to be kind of an unspoken rule on here that when you see a comment that doesn't exactly make sense, just let it go. This being a substance use forum, there are quite a few people using substances while typing.

The mods would have taken care of it if it was an issue.

Personally i'd wish for more balance in the way topics distribute, while if i piss in your glass of fine wine it's no fine wine anymore.

I wouldn’t risk taking it to the airport with you, it’s honestly not worth it if you get searched or something. You might get a bit snappy for a couple days but you’ll be fine. Hey, maybe you’ll find someone at the wedding with some weed! 😝

You're in for a cakewalk lol. You'll have a bit of insomnia for a few weeks and become irritable every now and then. That's it. It's weed and not an opioid, or even worse, a benzo.
For a small minority of people the withdrawals are worse than that.
Nothing comparable to opioids, but my brother has gone with 0 sleep for 2-3 days twice already when quitting weed, and was able to eat maybe a sandwich or 2 in the whole day for 3-4 days, then things slowly get better over 2 weeks.
He gets very significant mood disturbances that take about a month to resolve.
If you look you'll find similar stories on this forum as well as somewhere else.

Not sure how common this is, pretty sure it's kinda rare.

I wouldn’t risk taking it to the airport with you, it’s honestly not worth it if you get searched or something. You might get a bit snappy for a couple days but you’ll be fine. Hey, maybe you’ll find someone at the wedding with some weed! 😝
I shit you not.... I saw somebody smoking pot in the Colorado airport....lol.... like WTF

For a small minority of people the withdrawals are worse than that.
Nothing comparable to opioids, but my brother has gone with 0 sleep for 2-3 days twice already when quitting weed, and was able to eat maybe a sandwich or 2 in the whole day for 3-4 days, then things slowly get better over 2 weeks.
He gets very significant mood disturbances that take about a month to resolve.
If you look you'll find similar stories on this forum as well as somewhere else.

Not sure how common this is, pretty sure it's kinda rare.

This is how I react.

I went to rehab and they didn’t believe my symptoms were from cannabis only. They even raised my buprenorphine dose for a couple days and still felt like absolute garbage. Puking, zero sleep sweating so bad the sheets are soaked, and boredom that makes the seconds feel like hours.

I couldn’t eat for about 3-4 days. By day 5 though I started eating everything in sight. From there my appetite actually became stronger than when I smoked.

Also my mind felt cloudy for weeks after, like I would speak without having the internal dialogue first to analyze if what I was saying was ok or not.

-GC

What I've gathered from everybody's posts is that it might be a good idea to try to quit smoking in advance of your trip and see how you react. There might not even be anything to worry about.