• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

What happened to good-smelling weed?

acklac7

Ex-Bluelighter
I remember growing up back in the 90’s we used to get some FIRE at my high school. I mean it was so pungent you couldn’t hide it from your parents because it stunk up your whole room. Just beautiful, crystallized, super-amazing-smelling weed.

Now that Weed is no more: It all smells like “hay” or fresh-cut lawn grass.

What gives? Can you still find this amazing smelling weed in legal states? (Guess I should go check, since I live in one now…)

if it smells like hay it wasn't cured right
I take it it’s cured properly in the legal States?

Like can I walk into a smoke-shop and get a bag of pineapple skunk that is going to stink up my room with the smell of pineapple and skunk?

For me, 1/2 the pleasure is the taste / smell.

Like can I walk into a smoke-shop and get a bag of pineapple skunk that is going to stink up my room with the smell of pineapple and skunk?

These days, yeah.

But I still occasionally get stuff that smells like hay. It's just a bad harvest. Typically from more amateur grows. I'm not an expert on where the lack of smell comes from, but I've had it a lot too.

Yeah the taste is a big part of the enjoyment for me as well.

Yes I agree - taste and smell have got to be up there. here’s some of the reasons you might get that kind of smell in legal Canadian weed (and the problems will be the same everywhere, with some exceptions)

-Just old cannabis that was grown, harvested and packaged a long time ago.
-Improper packaging that can let moisture in
-Improper packaging that isn’t airtight

We can’t legally buy unpackaged weed in Canada, so those are the main reasons. Same problems anywhere in the world. Medical weed in Canada can be food irradiated to kill mould.

Also, sadly, terpenes can and will evaporate. The answer to your question I don’t know. Check out the laws/rules/regs in your jurisdiction.

Tom

It's just terpenes.

You can buy them and add them to whatever you're smoking. Cannabis derived high quality extracts using steam distilled refinery can replicate that strong weed smell exactly how you remember.

its in my pipe atm

what ya got is prolly treated (with whatever) male plant

It's just terpenes.

You can buy them and add them to whatever you're smoking. Cannabis derived high quality extracts using steam distilled refinery can replicate that strong weed smell exactly how you remember.

True; but we shouldn’t have to do that if we look after our weed kindly after purchase; meaning keeping it away from light, moisture and oxygen; in a cigar/cannabis humidor. Failing a humidor, specialized cannabis ziplocs with a humidity control pack.

On July 3rd I bought a 7g milled product that was ‘floral/berryish’. as purchased, it came in a foil mylar pouch that seals out the 3 nasties and included a 1g humidity control pack. The smell is diminished berry but now a strong syrup/brown sugar smell is slowly developing. The control pack is still usable.

For gooder storage I’ll use foodsaver vacum bags.

Tom

True; but we shouldn’t have to do that if we look after our weed kindly after purchase; meaning keeping it away from light, moisture and oxygen; in a cigar/cannabis humidor. Failing a humidor, specialized cannabis ziplocs with a humidity control pack.

On July 3rd I bought a 7g milled product that was ‘floral/berryish’. as purchased, it came in a foil mylar pouch that seals out the 3 nasties and included a 1g humidity control pack. The smell is diminished berry but now a strong syrup/brown sugar smell is slowly developing. The control pack is still usable.

For gooder storage I’ll use foodsaver vacum bags.

Tom
I've stored flower for over 3 years and oil for more. I'm familiar with the extremely volatile properties of terpenes and how to preserve them.

That's not what this thread is about. This thread is about people who can no longer source dank ass weed and I simply offered a simple solution to bringing life back to an empty vessel.

I'm actually in OP shoes. I don't source dank weed. I source only synthetic and I'm forced to add my own terpenes if I want them.

I've stored flower for over 3 years and oil for more. I'm familiar with the extremely volatile properties of terpenes and how to preserve them.

That's not what this thread is about. This thread is about people who can no longer source dank ass weed and I simply offered a simple solution to bringing life back to an empty vessel.

I'm actually in OP shoes. I don't source dank weed. I source only synthetic and I'm forced to add my own terpenes if I want them.

Storage and/or proper packaing is part of what this thread is about w01fg4ng; the OP stated he/she is in a legal state and maybe should go check them out. Sounds to me as if the person is starting to encounter corporate weed And it is different from BM product. You’ve never encountered goodly or badly packaged weed?

It’s a consumer product like everything else. Subject to differing standards depending on location.

Tom

yea if you're getting anything that smells like hay or grass, most likely, it wasn't dried properly when it was chopped down, so that's probably a sourcing issue

i'd say there's plenty of dank smelling flower out there for sure - now i also don't buy from rec shops....but i do know that they'll have flower that's been there for a year or so, and i'd say after 6 months, it'll start to change it's smell if not properly stored....maybe that's the issue?

now what i do know, is when i chop my plants, i hang them upside down on some rope, leave the dehumidifier on between 45% and 50% for 7 days and have a proper exchange of fresh air (which my flower room already has so i just dry and trim all in the same room) and somewhere around the 3rd or 4th day, it totally smells like hay, and then it gets better

so that to me, i would say, if you're smelling hay or grass, is where that's coming from - an improper drying technique

now i do know this too: that in this state, the moisture content of flower is really low because of standards that the state created, so the weed in the rec stores is a bit more dry than normal and that's a frequent complaint that i hear from ppl who buy at the stores

the only other thing that can be happening, is after it's dried and trimmed, is not maintaining the proper humidity and the buds re-absorb moisture - that can make it smell like hay too

so yea idk

i think weed smells great these days as long as everything is done right

what do you mean by that? like you only cop synthetic weed? like salvia or whatever?

what do you mean by that? like you only cop synthetic weed? like salvia or whatever?
The biggest competition the legal market has today isn't the black market.

It's synthetic weed.

Delta 8, HHC, THCP, delta 10, delta 6, THC-O this list goes on and on and one. It's all synthetic.

A lot of the outdoor weed here can get that way, especially when it's pre-bagged and/or it's old, from last season, short cure, etc. These all kinda go hand in hand though. The problem is usually fixed by spending more, unfortunately, since you're paying for the time and labor and whatnot. I also think a lot of popular cannabis varieties lean towards sweeter smells now, in legal states at least.

The biggest competition the legal market has today isn't the black market.

It's synthetic weed.

Delta 8, HHC, THCP, delta 10, delta 6, THC-O this list goes on and on and one. It's all synthetic.

Gotcha....i've never tried any of that so im mostly clueless other than knowing what delta 8 is

Salvia is a plant btw.

right...never tried that either....that's the one that can make ya go nuts right? i remember reading somebody drove through a storefront by pike place market after smoking it but who knows what the deal was with the dude