• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What exactly does it mean to abuse a drug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusJD9999

Bluelighter
I think it's an interesting subject on how drugs can be used as tools to aid psychological progress. But like with a lot of things drugs can be used to your advantage or they can be abused.

What would be a key difference in using a drug and abusing? Like what is an example of abusing a substance and an example of using same substance with respect and to your advantage? Also, can marijuana be abused? Thanks

The line between using a drug therapeutically and recreationally is difficult to determine. Benzo prescriptions and over-the-counter codeine sales in my area have recently become much more tightly regulated, much to the detriment of those who had been taking advantage in one way or another of their relatively easy accessibility. So, using these drugs as examples:

If someone is taking codeine when they are experiencing pain or taking valium when they are experiencing anxiety- this seems reasonable to me.
If someone who experiences these symptoms chronically, wakes up and takes a dose of codeine or valium so that they can get through their morning feeling a sense of normality- that is understandable to me.

When someone who is not necessarily anxious or in pain is taking these medications just to feel a high.. That is up to them though I do find it self-centred the number of people in my area who have done this, because it has made it difficult for those who can benefit from the medications' intended purpose to be able to access it. That is unfair in my oppinion.

There was a post on Bluelight yesterday asking about the best way to "catch a buzz" off of some diverted morphine tablets that this person had got a hold of. Not cool.

I do believe that opiate-addicts should have access to clean pharmaceutical opiates though as I see this as a form of pain management, but someone who does not experience pain or addiction looking to "catch a buzz" off of something rare that can be of some actual benefit to someone, yeah.. that goes a bit far.

As for cannabis; I think it has been controlled unnecessarily for too long and nobody has the right to control it in my oppinion. If someone is using it too much, to a point that it is having a negative effect on their life, they are abusing themselves really.

Abuse - To use to a bad effect; not for something's intended purpose; misuse.

This is going to be largely subjective in terms of what decisions and consequences actually constitue problem drug or alcohol use, but the definition is simple. It's using something, in this case psychoactive substances, to the detriment of your life, health or what have you.

Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to close this, as Basic Drug Discussion is intended to be a Harm Reduction-focused forum and this really doesn't constitute that in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.