• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

what drugs are safe to use on sodium valproate?

dragonxninjaxpowa

Bluelighter
i got put on 400mg of sodium valproate, twice a day, for suspected epilepsy.

but since i haven't been any to drink any booze as it seems to react with these meds. had 1 drink and went all shaky,nausea and light headed on it.
and caffeine sets off my seizures.

so haven't been able to do anything for months. :X

anyone alse on this for epilepsy/seizures and takes the same medication and has tried any drugs, please let me know?

i don't want to go to the doctor and ask him if it's ok to use a certain drug on it. as he will just say avoid all recreational drugs as hes a useless cunt.
as he said that when i started on it and said i had to avoid booze.

i imagine weed would be ok?

stims probably not, certainly wouldn't want to risk anything like mdma as it could be cut with anything.
gbl i doubt would be ok, if booze ain't.

kratom or blue lotus are sedative/make u drowsy and so is the medication, so i dunno...

Cannabis & salvia are the only ones that pop into my head at the moment. Don;t know, but think certain psychedelics might be OK - def not stimulants or dissociatives though as they tend to lower the convulsive threshold

cheers, thats the kind of thing i want to know.

would things like kratom and blue lotus be ok?

blue lotus is slightly sedative/relaxing, and kratom is a simular kind of effect but stronger.

I was on opiates and benzos which i was on divalproex and i never had a problem. Sodium valproate can add to the drowsiness of these meds so if you do mix any opiate or benzo with valproate keep it at a low dose at first to see how you react.

I took it for bipolar and not epilepsy so im not aware of all the interactions for epilepsy.

kratom doesn't sound like a good thing if indeed you are trying to avoid seizures. I always felt like some small alkaloid in that stuff made my body more likely to go into spasms/minor convulsions.

kratom doesn't sound like a good thing if indeed you are trying to avoid seizures. I always felt like some small alkaloid in that stuff made my body more likely to go into spasms/minor convulsions.

cheers for that.
but was more worried if it interacted with sodium valproate was my bigger concern.
if it don't give a full blown seizure, i could try it and see, as used to do maung da kratom and was fine on it.
however i haven't had more of it since i started getting the seizures, so i dunno if i wanna risk trying some or not.

what about blue lotus?
it's stronger when ingested, but found it gives a good but short and weaker high when smoked.

i found blue lotus when i've smoked it in the past to be uplifting, euphoric, relaxing, slightly sedative. only lasts 20 mins tho.

when ingested 2g of the blue lotus flowers, it's much more sedative, very euphoric which reminds me of opiates and something alse and very relaxing, dreamy.

no alcohol? any reason why? i looked it up (actually it was divalproex sodium, but i assume they're pretty much the same) and it had absolutely NOTHING about not combining it with alcohol. it said clonazepam and diazepam were no-nos, as well as things that could contribute to hepatoxicity. Maybe alcohol falls into one of these categories?

Alcohol can be bad for your liver and so can valproate so mixing both of them together can increase the risk of hepatoxicity. I got drunk once on divalproex and i got drunk much quicker then i normally would have and i blacked out for a long period of time.

it said clonazepam and diazepam were no-nos,

I don't see why these would be in the no catagory since both clonazepam and diazepam are used with valproate to control seizures. I was also prescribed clonazepam along with divalproex and i had no problem.

Ask your doctor if he can switch to something else like gabapentin or phenytoin.

I don't see why these would be in the no catagory since both clonazepam and diazepam are used with valproate to control seizures. I was also prescribed clonazepam along with divalproex and i had no problem.

Well, i think they weren't strict contraindications, but it did say that clonazepam can increase the risk of absent seizures, and i forget what diazepam's reason was.

So, since alcohol is bad, does this mean that GHB is out? I think they utilize different metabolic pathways, and GHB is pretty harmless to the body organs.

Ask your doctor if he can switch to something else like gabapentin or phenytoin.

cheers

the side effects i get off sodium valproate are:

extreme weight gain, i put on 2 stone within the few months i been on it.
used to be 11 stone and could eat what i want and not get fat.
since i been on the meds my weight went up to 13 stone, got a slight beer belly look and my waist is bigger.

very tired all the time switching to insomnia at other times. very drousy during the day on it.

sometimes i get tremors on it.

some hair loss, i noticed a few hairs come out but no baldness thank fuck.

sometimes get nausea on it.

sometimes get dizzyness on it.

pretty bad memory loss on it too.

and some reduced sex drive and slight reduced erections.

so yeah, don't want to get fat etc on it, so will ask my doctor if i can go on something alse.

What type of seizures do you have?

There's many alternatives to valproate(BTW divalproex sodium is NOT "pretty much the same"), google anti-convulsants or anti-epileptics to get some ideas.

And drinking alcohol with any AED is a bad, bad idea. You'll feel like the worst god forsaken pile of goat shit to ever exist on this planet. To get a full list of potential interactions, here's the P.I. sheet.

What type of seizures do you have?

There's many alternatives to valproate(BTW divalproex sodium is NOT "pretty much the same"), google anti-convulsants or anti-epileptics to get some ideas.

And drinking alcohol with any AED is a bad, bad idea. You'll feel like the worst god forsaken pile of goat shit to ever exist on this planet. To get a full list of potential interactions, here's the P.I. sheet.

the stupid hospital don't know what type of seizures i have as they haven't witnessed it. and the doctor didn't believe me, until i went in with mum and she told them as well. as shes seen it happen to me many times.

most likely i got complex partial seizures. as first i get the aura then i get the jerks sometimes. always semi awake whilst having them.
but i never fall to the floor or go unconscious luckerly.

Could you please explain how valproate and divalproex sodium are different? I mean, divalproex has valproic acid as well, but they are both fatty acid AED's and have the same indications.

You don't want phenytoin, it causes gums to receed so far your front teeth eventually fall out - gum hyperplasia (happened to my aunt)

You don't want phenytoin, it causes gums to receed so far your front teeth eventually fall out - gum hyperplasia (happened to my aunt)

I'm on Lamictal, that shit's started happening to me. AEDs are hell on your oral health.

Could you please explain how valproate and divalproex sodium are different? I mean, divalproex has valproic acid as well, but they are both fatty acid AED's and have the same indications.

Cymbalta and Parnate have the same indications, big whoop. Google it, I'm sure you will encounter a wealth of information on their differences. Add in some common sense and you don't need me for nothin.

^ Parnate is tranylcypromine - an irreversible MAOI with some amphetamine like stimulant effects

Cymbalta and Parnate have the same indications, big whoop. Google it, I'm sure you will encounter a wealth of information on their differences. Add in some common sense and you don't need me for nothin.

Do you know what you're talking about- at all?

Divalproex Sodium is exactly the same as Sodium Valproate and Valproic Acid are the exact same thing.

Divalproex Sodium is a mix of Sodium Valproate and Valproic Acid (on a 1:1 molar ratio).

Sodium Valproate is simply the sodium salt of Valproic Acid.

This isn't an issue of them simply having the same indications- they're the same fucking thing.

Arguing that they're not is about as stupid as claiming that cocaine freebase isn't scheduled because only cocaine hcl is explicitly listed in the Schedules.

That has been tried, and it failed, actually.

I'm on 1000 mg of Depakote. It's mixed fine with alcohol and cannabis and salvia so far. It made Ambien a dysphoric panicogen, which is the opposite of what it used to do for me. I've taken narcotics on it and find that maybe the euphoria is lessened, but the combination seemed harmless enough. I've yet to try psychedelics with it, but I assume the combination will be mostly harmless, too. My psychiatrist hasn't warned me of any interaction between the two, and he's fully aware of ALL of my drug use. He's incredibly knowledgeable, too. What you DO need to worry about is taking substances like Quercetin et al that inhibit the liver enzyme that breaks valproate down. Even still, you're on a low dose of the stuff. People take HUGE amounts of valproate and do just fine, so effectively tripling the dose in your system wouldn't have any lethal effects.

OP: It's made you fat? That's too bad. I'm more buff than I've ever been in my LIFE since I started taking it. Probably because I was so paranoid about getting tubby that I went NUTS at the gym. You know this stuff can like septuple the amount of growth hormone released? It's crazy! I'll get a ref for that if anyone's curious, but it's about twice as powerful as GHB as a GH releaser. I've gotten *very* muscular *very* quickly since starting on it - 15 lbs of muscle gain in two months.

^ Thank you for clearing that up. Now, back to the subject.

Does anyone know if GHB or opiates would be a bad mix with valproate? paranoid andriod said he took opiates while on valproate and he was fine. What were your dosages on valproate paranoid?

As far as GHB, i'm thinking that since it doesn't use the alcohol metabolism pathway, and since it is pretty harmless overall, it should be fine. But GBL would probably be out since its suspected to be more toxic, plus it utilizes the alcohol dehydrogenase and aldehyde dehydrogenase enzymes.

Overall, I think your only choices of drugs will be downers, and will increase the drowsiness factor of your valproate.