Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What drug did I take? Organic chemistry knowledge requested

Nervewing

Bluelighter
Hello,
I am posing a question here to those who are knowledgeable in organic chemistry-
So several years ago, I came upon a known weight 4-AcO-DMT, and lacking a miligram scale, put it into solution for volumetric dosing. I kept this bottle at room temperature for about 3 weeks, forgetting the simple fact that water does indeed go bad. I was greeted one day with a cloudy mixture with clumps of what appeared to be some sort of mold growing in it. I still had 4 or 5 doses left in here and there was no way in hell I was going to let my drugs go to waste, so I filtered it and microwaved it to boiling to sterilize it. I realize this may have been an issue when the remaining water had become a dark greenish-brown color... Nevertheless I bottled it back up and decided to keep the bottle in the freezer.
I sampled it the next day, at a dose that would've been equivalent to ~45 mg 4-AcO-DMT (I was a real hardhead with doses back then), though this probably isn't accurate because of some volume lost during the filtration/boiling. I was surprised to find myself immersed in a powerful but short lasting trip that was quite different from my experiences with 4-AcO-DMT.
Anyone have any idea what drug was in this nasty concoction? Would the process of microwaving it to boil it have potentially altered the 4-AcO-DMT into something else? Or was it still just 4-AcO-DMT?

Corrected my post - the 'what did I take' was a bit poorly worded considering the rules

You should not put drugs like 4-AcO-DMT in solution, this alone affects the compound as you have seen.

The product you witnessed contained tryptamines with the acetyl translocated to the 1-position (like ALD-52 has!), and also some polymerization products. Gunk...

But yeah a part can still be active, and perhaps a bit like the ALD-52 version of psilocin.

I have been wondering here out loud for quite a while what 1-acyl tryptamines would be like, especially ones like DMT that cannot be taken orally. Probably for DMT it is not a good idea as logic tells me it wouldn't be that active anymore in any way.

For other tryptamines I have doubts that it really matters much (as in: is ALD-52 distinguishable from LSD in a double blind test?), although I had been wondering about the possibility of 1P-psilocin for example since psilocin is illegal. The traces of psilocin present would always be a legal problem probably, though you could argue the amounts are tiny and you would not have personally or intentionally produced it as a degradation product.
For you the 4-Ac falling off and translocating is a bit more relevant than that... also consumed in solution these compounds are very powerful, especially psilocin, comes up ferociously...

Last edited:
Corrected my post - the 'what did I take' was a bit poorly worded considering the rules

You should not put drugs like 4-AcO-DMT in solution, this alone affects the compound as you have seen.

The product you witnessed contained tryptamines with the acetyl translocated to the 1-position (like ALD-52 has!), and also some polymerization products. Gunk...

But yeah a part can still be active, and perhaps a bit like the ALD-52 version of psilocin.

I have been wondering here out loud for quite a while what 1-acyl tryptamines would be like, especially ones like DMT that cannot be taken orally. Probably for DMT it is not a good idea as logic tells me it wouldn't be that active anymore in any way.

For other tryptamines I have doubts that it really matters much (as in: is ALD-52 distinguishable from LSD in a double blind test?), although I had been wondering about the possibility of 1P-psilocin for example since psilocin is illegal. The traces of psilocin present would always be a legal problem probably, though you could argue the amounts are tiny and you would not have personally or intentionally produced it as a degradation product.
For you the 4-Ac falling off and translocating is a bit more relevant than that... also consumed in solution these compounds are very powerful, especially psilocin, comes up ferociously...

So you're saying I converted it into a compound with an acetyl group attached to the N on the indole? It was certainly active, with a fast and sudden comeup, and a short and powerful trip.

And yeah this was back in my more novice days... I know now that tryptamines in solution don't keep.

Yes that's what I'm saying, but whether it's on the 4 or on the indole N, it's expected to fall off in the body so the possible difference would be
- kinetics
- other products from such translocation like the tryptamines with an 1-acetyl (1 is the indole N) but that still also have their 4-AcO and maybe some kinds of dimers (if polymers and maybe oligomers were detected through analysis of black 4-AcO trypt gunk) or somesuch shit

For ALD-52 the 1-acetyl is considered to be problematic for binding and thus being active itself rather than just being a pro-drug... however phens, trypts and lysergamides can bind in surprisingly different ways to the receptor. Just when you think you see the similarity between them, turns out that one binds flipped / inverted compared to the other!! Meaning: i don't believe it is established at all (yet) that an 1-acyl on a tryptamines should make it an inactive pro-drug. The matter remains: does it matter if it just falls off fast anyway?

My humble opinion is: maybe it does matter to drug with a rapid come-up time how fast that fast really is. When a drug has kinetics and subjective effects of coming up ferociously like some 4-HO tryptamines, it may matter if it takes 1,5,20 or 45 minutes for most of the acyl to fall off. It may also change lipophilicity and absorption.