• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

what drug class is salvia divinorum in?

I hereby propose a new class of drugs: Visionary-- with visions as the primary effect, with sensory distortions being only secondary effects. (As opposed to most classical psychedelics, where it's the other way around)
Mainly reserved to substances with kappa-opioid receptor agonism

I know it won't be a popular idea, but I think it and so I'll say it, so there :p

I received a PM from a complimentary moderator who had read through the Neuroscience and Pharmacology thread linked to earlier that quoted my following post, so I'll stick it here in the hopes that it resonates with other Bluelighter's visiting this thread, too:
Selective kappa opioid agonists are their own freaky animal. I would call salvia a deliriant before I'd call it a dissociative, but its effects are also clearly distinct from those we've read about in the likes of datura or diphenhydramine trip reports. I like "oneirogens," since it captures the visionary component of the salvia experience, but, it too, is a loose fit.

I'm surprised this naming issue doesn't pop up more frequently given salvia's unique character. I've struggled to categorize its effects over the years. Here's a few descriptions from Erowid that I think might be instructive:
At higher doses users report dramatic time distortion, vivid imagery, encounters with beings, travel to other places, planets or times, living years as the paint on a wall or experiencing the full life of another individual.

-sensation of physical push, pressure, or wind
-sensation of entering or perceiving other dimensions, alternate realities
-feeling of 'presence' or entity contact
-dissociation at high doses, walking or standing

What really sets salvia's effects apart in my view is its capacity for "identity substitution," which is essentially what's being referred to in the last clause in that first sentence from Erowid above. This, to me, more than any of its other effects, is what makes it indispensable as a tool of psychological analysis. Rather than act to dissolve, inflate, or annihilate an individual's ego as many other psychoactives do, it can, within seconds, seemingly re-submit the self-concept in a radically novel form, which is so much more astonishing a feat. I don't know what combination of ancient roots would make for an appropriate neologism though ... sui-trans-morphics?

Phone Websters
I'm personally hung up on the classification issue because my own experience with salvia has been so radically distinct. In a fundamental, functional sense, word selection is an attempt to communicate brain states between individuals with as little lost in the transduction process as possible. So there really ought to be a word that describes something that tears the ass out from under the world like salvia does, right? Of course, language evolves in a conscious community of word users and salvia users are heretical deviants of consciousness (many self-professed!).

But we haven't remotely done justice to Salvinorin A and its brethren. In my view, any university philosophy course on identity, will, and freedom that doesn't start the semester with an in-class assignment of vaporizing an individually titrated dose of it is seriously skirting the subject matter. If you don't believe I'm serious, you haven't tried it!

To address the question: salvia is currently most honestly and accurately described as belonging to the selective kappa-opioid agonist class (but this sterile designation misses the point by parsecs).