View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

what drug class is salvia divinorum in?

nancy145

Bluelighter
I looked online and couldn't find what it's classified as, like phycadellic, disassociative, etc.

It's technically an atypical dissociative drug I believe.

It has a number of unique features... salvinorin A acts as a kappa agonist and has a structure without any nitrogen, making it something other than an alkaloid. Something otherwise mostly unheard of.

Salvinorin A is a dissociative drug with atypical psychedelic properties. Salvia and Ibogaine are what we know as kappa opioid receptor agonists.

As far as I know, Salvia divinorum's psychoactive constituents and their analogues (e.g. Salvinorin A, Salvinorin B, Salvinorin B ethoxymethyl ether) act principally as kappa-opioid receptor agonists.

Practically every drug that behaves as a kOR agonist (bremazocine, herkinorin, (−)-pentazocine, 8-Carboxamidocyclazocine, LPK-26, Oxilorphan, etc.) possesses dissociative effects at sufficient doses.

Therefore, Salvia divinorum, as a kOR agonist, is a dissociative. And all dissociative drugs are a subset of hallucinogens (distinct from, say, the classical hallucinogens like those serotonergic psychedelics (such as LSD, mescaline and psilocin)).

So, it really depends how specific one wants to be: it is, predominantly, a kOR agonist, which are a subset of dissociatives which are a subset of hallucinogens.

Considering how immersive the state is, and the detachment from your normal sense of surroundings do you really need that analysis to call it dissociative? Cause it feels like a dissociative to me..

It's technically an atypical dissociative drug I believe.

It has a number of unique features... salvinorin A acts as a kappa agonist and has a structure without any nitrogen, making it something other than an alkaloid. Something otherwise mostly unheard of.

Yes. As opposed to the more ubiquitous alkaloids, Salvinorin A is a trans-neoclerodane diterpenoid. These kinds of compounds are not particularly unheard of and completely bizarre; rather, the psychotropic ones are, indeed.

Considering how immersive the state is, and the detachment from your normal sense of surroundings do you really need that analysis to call it dissociative? Cause it feels like a dissociative to me..

Well, I think so. To me, copious amounts of ethanol (>1.0 litres within not more than a two hour interval) or large quantities of many z-drugs and nonbenzodiazepines (say, >200mg zolpidem) feel distinctly dissociative in effect. But they're seldom, if ever, classified as dissociative drugs; rather, they're almost always grouped with sedatives/hypnotics, specifically GABAAR agonists and GABAAR PAMs.

Last edited:
Practically every drug that behaves as a kOR agonist (bremazocine, herkinorin, (−)-pentazocine, 8-Carboxamidocyclazocine, LPK-26, Oxilorphan, etc.) possesses dissociative effects at sufficient doses.
Even though herkinorin is a structural analogue of salvinorin A, it is primarily an agonist on the mu opioid receptor.

Even though herkinorin is a structural analogue of salvinorin A, it is primarily an agonist on the mu opioid receptor.

Indeed, you're correct. But your comment is irrelevant—insofar as it is intended as a response to my post—because, while herkinorin behaves primarily as a mu-opioid receptor agonist, it is nonetheless a kappa-opioid receptor agonist. Thus: a.) my example of herkinorin is still valid, and b.) your comment is therein moot and supererogatory.

Herkinorin is the first mu-opioid receptor-selective ligand from the salvinorin A diterpenoid scaffold. Herkinorin has relative binding selectivity, and it can act as an agonist at both mu-and kappa-receptors, in vitro.

These studies were the first in vivo evaluation of the effects of herkinorin in nonhuman primates, using prolactin release, a neuroendocrine biomarker assay that is responsive to both mu-and kappa-agonists, as well as to compounds with limited ability to cross the blood-brain barrier. In cumulative dosing studies (0.01–0.32 mg/kg i.v.), herkinorin produced only small effects in gonadally intact males (n 4), but a more robust effect in females (n 4). Time course studies with herkinorin (0.32 mg/kg) confirmed this greater effectiveness in females and revealed a fast onset after i.v. administration (e.g., by 5–15 min).

Antagonism experiments with different doses of nalmefene (0.01 and 0.1 mg/kg) caused dose-dependent and complete prevention of the effect of herkinorin in females. This is consistent with a principal mu-agonist effect of herkinorin, with likely partial contribution by kappa-agonist effects. The peripherally selective antagonist quaternary naltrexone (1 mg/kg s.c.) caused approximately 70% reduction in the peak effect of herkinorin (0.32 mg/kg) in females, indicating that this effect of herkinorin is prominently mediated outside the blood-brain barrier.

[Source: The Effects of Herkinorin, the First -Selective Ligand from a Salvinorin A-Derived Scaffold, in a Neuroendocrine Biomarker Assay in Nonhuman Primates]

Believe me you didn't miss anything....this substance is the most horrific plant on earth (mind you I've never done datura) .and I LOVE dissos

Speak for yourself. Salvia is the opposite of horrific for me. If it's horrific for you, that means you're probably smoking a way-too-strong extract.

Start low, or chew the leaves like it's done traditionally.

Indeed, you're correct. But your comment is irrelevant—insofar as it is intended as a response to my post—because, while herkinorin behaves primarily as a mu-opioid receptor agonist, it is nonetheless a kappa-opioid receptor agonist. Thus: a.) my example of herkinorin is still valid, and b.) your comment is therein moot and supererogatory.

Herkinorin is the first mu-opioid receptor-selective ligand from the salvinorin A diterpenoid scaffold. Herkinorin has relative binding selectivity, and it can act as an agonist at both mu-and kappa-receptors, in vitro.

These studies were the first in vivo evaluation of the effects of herkinorin in nonhuman primates, using prolactin release, a neuroendocrine biomarker assay that is responsive to both mu-and kappa-agonists, as well as to compounds with limited ability to cross the blood-brain barrier. In cumulative dosing studies (0.01–0.32 mg/kg i.v.), herkinorin produced only small effects in gonadally intact males (n 4), but a more robust effect in females (n 4). Time course studies with herkinorin (0.32 mg/kg) confirmed this greater effectiveness in females and revealed a fast onset after i.v. administration (e.g., by 5–15 min).

Antagonism experiments with different doses of nalmefene (0.01 and 0.1 mg/kg) caused dose-dependent and complete prevention of the effect of herkinorin in females. This is consistent with a principal mu-agonist effect of herkinorin, with likely partial contribution by kappa-agonist effects. The peripherally selective antagonist quaternary naltrexone (1 mg/kg s.c.) caused approximately 70% reduction in the peak effect of herkinorin (0.32 mg/kg) in females, indicating that this effect of herkinorin is prominently mediated outside the blood-brain barrier.

[Source: The Effects of Herkinorin, the First -Selective Ligand from a Salvinorin A-Derived Scaffold, in a Neuroendocrine Biomarker Assay in Nonhuman Primates]

But to answer the OP's question....dissociative.

Without looking it up, I'd call it a dissociative. A mashy one at that. Not my cup of tea.

I would call it a dissociative psychedelic. Fucking amazing medicine that gets a bad rap because of the sheer power of it, and the lack of understanding by certain individuals who choose to use it.

I can't remember people posting how many milligrams of salvia extract they smoked. Just because it is leaf material that makes it okay to eyeball it like cannabis?
Seems pretty ridiculous to first eyeball it and then complain that it is so crazy and assume that is inherent to the drug - and physically relatively safe to do since it is not harmful to the body to OD on it ; and since many others have gone through the same thing... I guess that is consensus now.
Additionally the dose-response curve may be far from linear, which makes it even more important to not only measure your dose but go up incrementally and patiently.

I wouldn't put this in the same class as Ibogaine - that has a complex action with some classic 5HT type effects as well as NMDA and opiod effects.
I am not sure I would call Salvia psychedelic - atypical disso is probably good - I wonder if there isn't as aspect of safe atypical deliriant. Basically it doesn't fit neatly with other catagories
That said although it is often negative or neutral it can be pretty special, mind manifesting or even cosmic if approached right.